Author Topic: Goodman Jones  (Read 3546 times)

Offline billy56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Goodman Jones
« on: Thursday 03 March 05 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Can ayone help me with a brick wall ? I am researching the family of CATHERINE ELLEN GOODMAN JONES born 1908, parents ANNIE MARY nee EAMES and THOMAS GOODMAN JONES. Catherine's birth is on GRO listing, GOODMAN JONES being immediately after GOODMAN listing.
I havent been able to find Annie and Thomas's marriage or birth entries for their two sons, presumably these are listed under ....G.JONES but of course this is like a needle in a haystack. I have found 1901, 1881 and 1871 census listings for a family who are all listed as ....G.JONES  which included a son who could be THOMAS GOODMAN JONES but cant presume this is Catherine's family as the G.JONES may not be GOODMAN JONES. Family in Ffestiniog.
How can I determine whether G.JONES is GOODMAN JONES and can anyone help me locate the marriage etc.
freebmd has no match. There is a match for ANNIE EAMES but marrying WILLIAM JONES and this doesnt seem to be the same man
I appreciate how confusing this may read but please help with any suggestions if possible.
LAW West Bromwich, BUTTON Weedon, HINETT Birmingham, HOLLOWAY West Bromwich, WARNER Finedon.

Offline Shazzam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Goodman Jones
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 07:12 BST (UK) »
The free BMD site has Thomas H Goodman-Jones marrying in 1903 (Dec Quarter) in Kensington, Vol: 1a, Pg: 353.  Annie Eames is not recorded as one of the parties, but the page seems to be incomplete, so she may yet be added.

There is also an Annie Eames marrying in 1903 (Sep Quarter) in Winchester, Vol: 2c, Pg:270. Likewise, Thomas Goodman-Jones is not recorded as one of the parties, but again the page seems to be incomplete.

A birth registration for Winton Goodman-Jones in Winchester 1904 is also recorded (Vol: 2c, Pg:131).  Perhaps this indicates the Winchester marriage is the one you're seeking.

Hope this is of use.

I have Welsh Eames in my ancestry so we may have a connection somewhere...hope you can find Annie.  Good luck.

Sharyn
British Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

EAMES - Anglesey, Caernarvonshire
OWEN - Cardiganshire
GRIFFITH - Merionethshire, Anglesey
PILLANS - Fife, Lanark
LUNN DALGLIESH TURNBULL ECKFORD- Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire
McKINNON - Inverness
McPHERSON - Argyll
GIVEN/GOVAN - Fife
BRADFORD OVERILL/OVERALL- Essex
GOLDSMITH CUTBATH - Kent
ALLISON BENGE/BINGE CORNELL HASELL - Cambridgeshire
McCABE LISK- Armagh
McMANUS FOSTER - Fermanagh

Offline billy56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 15:24 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your message. The Goodman Jones / Eames family lived in Angesley or Festiniog areas of Wales so I dont think there is a connection but thanks for thinking of me.

happy hunting
Karen
LAW West Bromwich, BUTTON Weedon, HINETT Birmingham, HOLLOWAY West Bromwich, WARNER Finedon.

Offline Shazzam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

My Eames family also came from Anglesey, so there is still hope of a connection. My grandmother was born in Coedana and her father, Edward Eames, was born in Llanfihangel Trer Beirdd. His parents were William Eames and Lydia griffith. Williams was born in Llanddyfnan and his parents were Richard Eames and Ellen Lloyd. Richard was born in Llanbeblig, Caernarvonshire.

Sharyn
British Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

EAMES - Anglesey, Caernarvonshire
OWEN - Cardiganshire
GRIFFITH - Merionethshire, Anglesey
PILLANS - Fife, Lanark
LUNN DALGLIESH TURNBULL ECKFORD- Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire
McKINNON - Inverness
McPHERSON - Argyll
GIVEN/GOVAN - Fife
BRADFORD OVERILL/OVERALL- Essex
GOLDSMITH CUTBATH - Kent
ALLISON BENGE/BINGE CORNELL HASELL - Cambridgeshire
McCABE LISK- Armagh
McMANUS FOSTER - Fermanagh

Offline billy56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 06:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Shazzam

Sorry I hadnt realised there may be an Anglesey connection. Thomas Goodman Jones's family are found in Beaumaris, Anglesey and Blaneau Ffestiniog, his daughter Catherine was born 1908 and her mother is named as Annie G.Jones, formerley Eames.

I have yet to find a marriage for this couple, though their grandson tells us they were married years and shares family stories of them both, how they met etc.

This is a friends tree which I am helping with so I shall pass on your info and hope further clues crop up.

Many thanks
Karen

Offline wmgoodman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 August 05 00:24 BST (UK) »
It's a little off the subject your inquired about, but I looked up my name (Winton Marion Goodman, Jr.) in Google and found your inquiry re: Goodman Jones in Wales, which mentioned a Winton Goodman born in 1904.

My father, Winton Marion Goodman, was born in Paxton, Florida, USA in 1910. 

Winton is an uncommon name over here, perhaps more common there.  It's probably just a coincidence of names but, I wonder if you've done any research on any part of your family that might have come to the US?

wmg 

Offline billy56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 August 05 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
thanks for your reply to my Goodman Jones posting. This was an enquiry on behalf of a neighbour who I helped trace her birth family. We haven't found a link to the names you gave but I shall pass this onto her and if a link develops I am sure we shall be back in touch.
Happy hunting

Offline Nancy More

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 July 19 20:17 BST (UK) »
I live in Canada. My husbands mothers maiden name was Goodman Jones. Her mother was from Ruthin Wales.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 July 19 12:49 BST (UK) »
The births of the 2 sons :
JONES, ROBERT  OWEN GOODMAN    EAMES 
GRO Reference: 1907  M Quarter in FESTINIOG  Volume 11B  Page 338

JONES, THOMAS  GOODMAN     EAMES 
GRO Reference: 1909  D Quarter in FESTINIOG  Volume 11B  Page 343

There is another Goodman Jones marriage in FFestiniog round a bout the time when the above children were born, including another Tomas Goodman Jones born 1902 mother Owens

There is an Annie Emes  marrying in Dec 1904 11a 1085 at Pontypridd, but entries are incomplete with a groom missing

The only marriage I found with nearest matching was : Thomas Goodman and Annie is in Sep 1944
Annie M Eames & Thomas G  Jones in Birkenhead vol 8a page 1346  - bit of a long shot, but it could be possible they married after the birth of their children. It is also possible that Annie it was Annie's second marriage.

It might be worth ringing the local register office (I think at Caernarvon for Ffestiniog and even Pontypridd) and ask if they can check the above 2 suggestions or otherwise to search around the date expected as indicated by the 1911 census.