Author Topic: Anglesea/Death/Burial  (Read 5137 times)

Offline Frances

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry & Alexandra Burr
    • View Profile
Anglesea/Death/Burial
« on: Thursday 03 March 05 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for help for an elderly gentleman who wants to know what his grandfather died of and confirmation of where he is buried.
Obviously a certifcate is needed but there are so many people of this name I am getting nowhere fast! He has already searched the censuses. This is all I have been told.

Name Benjamin James born 1855 Lancashire
Occupation given as Seafarer, Sailer or Waterman.
Believed to have died on board ship or canal barge off Anglesea, possible drowning
Burial in or near Holyhead.

He thinks that the time was between 1901 and 1925. This is based apparently on his wife Elizabeth being classed as married on the 1901 census. I do not have access to the 1901 so have not confirmed it is correct. I did look at the online index but could not find him.

I know this is really clutching at straws here. I have read the links on this board and will be following up on these as much as I can.Would Anglesea have old newspapers that could be accessed?

If anyone can help me on an area I know nothing about it would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Frances

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

-------------------------------------------------- 
Hope/Buckinghamshire    Palmer Cambridge
Hope/Camberwell            Palmer Essex  
Bolton/Camberwell           Emery Potton Bedfordshire
DeBoo/ Poplar/Anywhere           
Oliver /Chatteris, Cambs.   
Redkison/ Anywhere          
Carter Bedfordshire
Bernard/Stepney
Lawrence/Colchester Essex 
Carter/ Leytonstone
Bones/ Essex
Tullett/ Surrey/Essex

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Anglesea/Death/Burial
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 March 05 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frances,

Anglesey is one of my areas of research, but I'm not having much joy there at all - probably due to the names I'm researching though.

I'm not sure there were any canals on Anglesey - though I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. One of the main sources of income though was the sea - Anglesey being the UKs largest island.

Anyway, your best bet would be to contact Anglesey archives at Llangefni:

ARCHIFDY archives@anglesey.gov.uk

They do charge for searching, but they will be able to tell you which newspapers you can search. They are at both Anglesey and Gwynedd archives (in Caernarfon).

There is also the Maritime Museum in Holyhead, run by a guy called John Cave, who has also mapped the cemetery at St. Seiriols - which is the main cemetery on Holyhead. There are however several other smaller ones, some of which are no longer in use.

http://www.holyhead.com/page131.html

However, I have to date only had an acknowledgement from John, no information - although I know that several of my family are buried in St. Seiriols. The minister was also of no help, he only referred me back to John.

I also had a look on this site:
http://www.welshmariners.org.uk/

just in case, but no luck. You could however contact Reg Davies, who may be able to point you in the right direction concerning the maritime aspects.

I'd appreciate it if you could let me know how you get on.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Frances

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry & Alexandra Burr
    • View Profile
Re: Anglesea/Death/Burial
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 March 05 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi D,

Thank-you for your reply and links. I have received this lookup via one of my sons, who has no interest in genealogy at all, not even when I printed our tree off and gave it to him.  I will give it my best shot and let you know later how I get on. (fingers crossed)

Thanks again,

Frances

-------------------------------------------------- 
Hope/Buckinghamshire    Palmer Cambridge
Hope/Camberwell            Palmer Essex  
Bolton/Camberwell           Emery Potton Bedfordshire
DeBoo/ Poplar/Anywhere           
Oliver /Chatteris, Cambs.   
Redkison/ Anywhere          
Carter Bedfordshire
Bernard/Stepney