Author Topic: 1838 OPR Baptism - help with writing  (Read 4101 times)

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1838 OPR Baptism - help with writing
« on: Tuesday 25 August 09 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I have and OPR baptism record for one of my lot – but I cannot make out one of the words on the entry.  The forth and last words are the same – I think it refers to a farm or hamlet (the OPR is from Chapel of Garioch) – I think it may be Resciuch.  All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1838 OPR Baptism - help with writing
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 09:02 BST (UK) »
I see it as Rescivet and a google brings this result.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/06yn/

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 09:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help - just takes a fresh set of eyes !

I am now sure it is Rescivet - I cross referenced the witnesses on the 1841 census - Rescivet was a farm between InverRamsey and Legates Den.  But not sure if it still exists today.

Regards

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada

Offline mcmon30

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Osprey

Just to confirm is is definitely RESCIVET. My family were at both Rescivet and Leggats Den (now leggatsden). I have been there. I believe Rescivet was part of the famous Leggats Den written up in history. It is of note that Rescivet had a number of families with that address. So it begs the question - was it a village or was it a cluster of crofters cottages on the main property. Since my ancestors were on both I have yet to make the exact deference.
I will attempt to add some pics of leggatsden for interest. The home shown is a latter construction as the original was demolished by an angry King.
Rescivet is closer to Inverurie by 1/4 mile from Leggatsden. Rescivet was 4 mile from Inverurie according to my family records. Rescivet was a holding of 50 acre when my family were on that section.
Now I wondered if you have any MORE or MOIR recorded in your early Christenings. James More had children from 1818 to 1832 mostly while at Rescivet. He later moved to the main property.

Hope these are of some use

Cheers John

Offline mcmon30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 January 10 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone:

Have tried to apply some basic logic to my problem of who were the parents of James MORE born between 1779 and 1786.
As close as I can get it it appears to be 1785 give or take a year.
It also appears his mother was Isabel and father James.
I have found a James and Isabel MacKenzie near PERTH at the suggested time.
Is there anyone with any connection with that family please - that can throw some light on the early family and their movements.
John

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 May 20 10:07 BST (UK) »
Rescivet was named as Resthivet on the first edition Ordnance Survey Map
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=57.32500&lon=-2.42994&layers=5&b=1

There is still a Resthivet Croft between Legatesden and Mains of Inveramsay
https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ7425 and click on the map to enlarge it. Because of the lie of the land you can't easily see it from the public road.

Legatesden https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ7325
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 May 20 10:48 BST (UK) »
From the Spalding Club's "Place-names of Aberdeenshire":

Rescivet, Chapel of Garioch. Pronounced Resivvet, stressed in -siv-. 1504, Rostheveot A3. 1511, Rothsyviot RMS. 1511, Ressavate A3. 1683, Resivet SH.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 May 20 11:47 BST (UK) »
You have reminded me of John Milne's Celtic Place-Names in Aberdeenshire (1912). Though I am not sure that this is now regarded as reliable.

Resthivet, Rossochetis (1257), Rostheviot (1504), Rosseuiot (1506), Rothsyviot (1511), Ressavate (1511), Rasevat (1534). The original form had probably been Roth a' Chuit. Hill of the cattle-fold. Roth, hill; a' of the; chuit, gen asp of cuit, cattle-fold.

The word cuit does not appear in MacAlpine's Gaelic-English dictionary. Nor does it feature in Mackenzie's English-Gaelic dictionary as a translation of fold or pen.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.