Author Topic: Deb D's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In.  (Read 23249 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
Deb D's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In.
« on: Tuesday 25 August 09 10:42 BST (UK) »

Welcome to this weeks Scavenger Hunt.........It looks like a really interesting one, taking us from the UK to Australia, back to UK and then to the U.S. Phew.........it's tiring just thinking about it.    Have fun.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

Barbara

Duncan Dunbar Tatham was born 20th March 1824 to Poplar surgeon Christopher Tatham and his first wife, Justina Dunbar Tatham.  Justina was the sister of Duncan Dunbar II, a shipping magnate who was apparently the Ari Onassis of the time.  DDT was the second child of three, and the only son.  According the "The Times", it seems that, as a young man, he was involved in a scuffle with some felonious types - the newspaper reports indicate they tried to rob him whilst he was in the company of a young lady ... the felons claimed they were trying to blackmail him, because said young lady had removed her bonnet (scandalous!) in DDT's company.

Whatever the reason or cause, DDT then shows up in Australia.  I believe he sailed on the "King William", arriving in Melbourne on the 12th September 1851.  He worked as a shipping clerk with connections to his Uncle Duncan's firm ... until he, reportedly, passed a couple of letters of credit on Uncle Duncan ... for which he had no authority!  Needless to say, his employment with the family firm seems to have ceased at this point.

The next we hear of him, he was married to Mary Ann Judd at St Peter's church in Melbourne on the 7th June 1853.  In 1854, their daughter Justina was born at Chiltern, Victoria, ... and in 1856 they had a son, Duncan John Tatham.  By this time, they were living in Geelong, and DDT was employed as a warder/turnkey at Geelong Gaol.  However in 1857, his wife Mary Ann died.  And this is where it gets strange.

There seems to be no trace of DDT after Mary Ann's death.

The two children were reportedly retrieved from Australia by their Aunt Phoebe, and taken back to "Blighty" aboard a Dunbar ship captained by one of DDT's uncles.  As it was a Dunbar ship, we suspect the trip was a "family freebie", and records weren't kept precisely.  We have found two Tatham children aboard a Dunbar ship, however their names were given as Elizabeth and John ... still not sure they're our babes.  Back in England, Justina Tatham was taken in by Aunt Phoebe, and baptised at the age of 8 in Hatfield, Herts.  Sadly, Justina died in 1870 aged just 16.

Duncan John was taken in by his grandfather and step-grandmother, Elizabeth Gordon Tatham.  He was sent to a good boarding school in Kent, and around the time he left school, he inherited some money from the estate of his half-uncle Christopher.  This, too, is interesting, because a codicil on the Will directs that he will be disinherited if he ever signs any of the money over to anyone else; - is this a clue that DDT was still alive?

Next, Duncan John shows up in Laramie City, Wyoming, on the 1880 US Census.  He was working as a bartender and living in the home of a Mr Ivinson (the house is still standing, and a local tourist attraction, I believe).

But after 1880 there's no sign of Duncan John ... until a D J Tatham appears on the manifest of the "Port Henderson", which sailed from Kingston Jamaica to Avonmouth, Bristol, in December of 1910.

Is it possible these two fellows can be found??  I'm only one of a conglomeration of distant cousins, who'd love to know what happened to them!

~~~~~~~~

Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Deb D's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 10:56 BST (UK) »
Wow this is a tricky one. I have rellies who've travelled to various parts but there are some serious movements here.

Will have a look
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 11:00 BST (UK) »

Give yourself a pat on the back, you've beaten Toni and Lesanne this week.      ;D ;D

It does bounce about a bit doesn't it, but it makes it more interesting.    ;)

Barbara
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 11:06 BST (UK) »
shes here shes here i know shes here cos i am she!

(love that line)

I have no knowledge of searching Aus  ::)

maybe DDT stopped getting into trouble once his wife died! maybe he became very depressed and thus the children had to go and stay with other family ?
a lots of maybes but was trying to say there are lots of possible solutions to the problem and maybe he didnt actually die.

sometimes there is no definite proof and you have to go with the coincidenes, the elizabeth and John Tatham aboard the Dunbar ship did they travel alone? where was Aunt Pheobe at this time?

maybe Christopher just wanted he Dunbar fortune to be kept in the Dunbar family and not sigend over to someone else it doesnt necessarily mean that DDT was still alive.

will see what i come up with

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 11:11 BST (UK) »
DDT appears in this book
The coins of the British Commonwealth of Nations to the end of the reign of ...‎ - Page 120
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 11:12 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this?
http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/data/answers/answers-2009/ans9-012-brown.htm

doesnt really help - but another link with Aunty Phoebe
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 11:21 BST (UK) »
is this Phoebe ?

Marriages Mar 1847   Poplar  2 287   

Askie  Thomas    (London  2 287 )   
Askie  Thomas     (London W  2 287)   
Brown  William Smith     
HAZEL  William James       
KANE  George     
PAULEY  Joseph     
Ritchie  Sophia       
STEEL  Kate       
Tatham  Phoebe         
YOUNG  Mary Elizabeth     

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 11:23 BST (UK) »
The National Archives | The Catalogue | BrowseAppellant: Phoebe Tatham. Respondent: Harry Tatham. Type: Wife's petition for divorce [WD]. ... 1929. first page . previous page Previous | Next next page ...
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/.../browser.asp?CATID...

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile