Author Topic: RAF in India WW2  (Read 50832 times)

Offline Susie C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
RAF in India WW2
« on: Tuesday 25 August 09 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am wondering if someone may be able to help me? My grandfather served with the RAF during WW2 but was sent to India. I wasn't aware that India was involved in the war and would be grateful if anyone could tell me more about what he would have being doing there?

Many thanks

Susie
Abernethy : Shetland
Fraser: Shetland
McCallum : Argyll
MacCalman: Argyll
Munro : Inverary
Sutherland: Elgin/ Fearn/Edinburgh/ Tillicoultry
Culbard : Elgin/ Edinburgh
Gibson: Ayrshire
Faddes: Ayrshire
McCormick: Ayrshire
Bruce : Aberdeenshire/Ayrshire
Kennedy : Aberdeenshire
Auld : Ayrshire
Morrison : Glasgow
Burton : Ireland
Collins : Stirlingshire
McLaren : Stirlingshire
Cargill : Angus
Coull : Angus
Anderson; Banff
Tocher: Banff
Sellars: Aberdeenshire
Mitchell : Aberdeen

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
Re: RAF in India WW2
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 17:36 BST (UK) »
India not only contributed over 2 million men and women to the services but India was  the main staging post for the fighting in Burma.

Have you any more details about your grandfather? One of my interests is the RAF and RIAF and will see what I can do. Details like name, unit, period of service etc would all be of help

K

Offline Benn2509

• RootsChat Senior
  • Benn Westwood 1977 - Present
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 November 09 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Sorry to butt in on your topic, but I am also searching for any information on my grandfather, who flew on Wellingtons out of India over Burma, His name was Arthur Westwood, he joined the raf in 1942 I think, and served in india untill the end of the war, I would like to know Squadron he was in, Airfields he flew from etc...
I look forward to any help and information.
Benn
Westwood. Johnson. Webbon. Duffy. Street. Turner. Haycock. McGlynn. Cogan. Reavey.

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Ben & Susie

This was on a website: In the Far East, too, Wellingtons served as bombers with No.225 Group in India, Mk ICs of No.215 Squadron flying their first operational sortie on 23 April 1942. Equipped later with Wellington Xs, Nos. 99 and 215 Squadrons continued to bomb Japanese bases and communications until replaced by Liberators in late 1944, when the Wellington units were released for transport duties.

99 Sqn Assn http://mainly99.users.btopenworld.com/
215 dont have an assn but try http://www.rquirk.com/215.html

Be warned it will become an obsession!!!!

Dee  :)
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Oops forgot a bit.  If you are the closest living family you can apply for their service records via www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.htm

Hope this helps
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi

99 Sqn were based at Ambala 06/06/42 to 19/09/42 then Pandaveswar till 25/10/42 then Digri till 12/04/43 then Chaklala till 23/05/43 then Jessore till 26/09/44 then Dhubablia till they moved till the Cocos Isles on 14/07/45 where they stayed till they moved back to the UK in Nov 1945.  They had Wellingtons till 1943 then moved over to Liberators till 1945 then Yorks.  Nicknamed the Madras Presidency Sqn.

215 Sqn Left for india 12/02/42 and were based at Asansol till 17/04/42 then Pandaveswar till 18/08/42 then St Thomas Mount till 13/10/42 then Chaklala till 12/03/43 then Jessore till 17/09/43 then Digri till28/12/44 then Dhubalia till 05/05/45 then Tulihal til 01/06/45 then Basal till 09/07/45 then Patenga 19/08/45 then Hmawbi till 23/10/45 then Kallang&Kai Tak till 01/08/47 then Kabrit till they returned to UK in May 1948.  They had Wellingtons till 1944 then moved to Liberators then Dakotas in 1945.  No Sqn nicknames.

Just as a matter of interest 75 (NZ) Sqn was formed out of one of 215 Sqn in 1939 so 215 Sqns early life is of interest to me from that angle.  This information came from a book called The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force by James J Halley.  Its an out of print book but if anyone else has any sqn queries I would be happy to look up information for them.....

Dee  :)
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline Brian1949

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching family since 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dee,
I spotted your item on RAF in India in WW2 and am interested in the item on 215 Squadron.
I have been extracting crew information from the squadrons records to use on the Liberator site "www.rafb24.com"  - I am looking after the 215 Squadron section of the site.
I did not realise that a New Zealond squadron was formed from 215 so would be interested in any information you may have. Quite a few New Zealanders flew with the Squadron during its time in India (my Dad was a Wireless Operator with 215) including my Dads pilot during his time on Wellingtons (pilots name was Jim Ross)

regards

Brian
Cook, Johnson, Elliott, Fenwick, Hall, Sarginson,
Brunton, Ward, Gilroy, Purdey, Pearson

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 January 10 11:03 GMT (UK) »
If you want lots of information about NZ aircrew there is a guy on RAF commands forum who wrote For Your Tomorrow which lists details about all NZ guys in second world war.  I am picking his book up in March when I go to NZ so will have it after that if you need.... Cant remember his name at moment but rack my brain and come back to you but if you put a thread on he will no doubt pick it up....

Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 January 10 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Just remembered his name. Errol Martyn... Fab chap

Dee