Author Topic: piked to death  (Read 9103 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: piked to death
« Reply #18 on: Monday 23 December 19 20:06 GMT (UK) »
I found a list of names from Musgrave under Irish genealogy projects archives at igp-web.com
I’m sorry I cant post the link it was some time ago
See if you can find it

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/wexford/xmisc/executed-1798.txt

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline graham saunders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 December 19 16:59 GMT (UK) »
it may be of interest  a monument to the pikemen of 96 stands on the road into wexford town at a place called barntown  it is a representation of a group of pikemen but i do not know who caused it to be erected

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 December 19 09:59 GMT (UK) »
page 108
Sarah Ganford of Monglass ,husband murdered oh Vinegar Hill,25th June
https://archive.org/stream/memoirsofdiffere00musg#page/108/mode/1up/search/ganford

Colonel Thomas Cloney appears to be Thomas Clooney
use search box top right

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 January 20 19:36 GMT (UK) »
it may be of interest  a monument to the pikemen of 96 stands on the road into wexford town at a place called barntown  it is a representation of a group of pikemen but i do not know who caused it to be erected

That is far from the best or most notable monument!

The best one by far - the Croppy Boy, AKA the Pikeman, in the Bull Ring, Wexford
https://www.gruene-insel.de/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/wexford_1798_rebellion.jpg

Main square, Enniscorthy - Fr. Murphy points the way to Vinegar Hill to the Croppy Boy
https://n7.alamy.com/zooms/11a3e51c0ff44296a96491f389e65972/priest-and-a-peasant-holding-pike-and-sword-statue-in-market-square-adbeap.jpg

New Ross - depicting Mathew Furlong (supposedly a relative).

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline ellabella8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 April 20 13:17 BST (UK) »
I too have been interested in the 1798 Wexford deaths especially one of John Hatchell.  i was lucky to find the document for a claim to recompense  that his orphan children made after his death.  findmypast has a list called 1798 Claimants and Surrenders. I dont have a sub now. but someone may be able to help. If Gainfort is on it, there may be a claim document for his next of kin.
 These papers for my John Hatchell outlined a little of his personal information and of his children's situation. That was really valuable information to get.

If  a claim was made fro Gainfort, it may be in the   Rebellion Papers which were held in the State Paper Office which is now closed. The papers were  transferred to the NAI but not all of them have been indexed. In fact it seems only the most prominent people's records are listed in the index of the Rebellion Papers on the NAI site.  I was lucky to have found a journal article with a precise index number for my Hatchell, and  I paid an Irish Family History Centre person to look it up for me. It was simple with the number known.

If your Thomas Gainfort's widow or children made such a claim it may be in those Rebellion Papers but how to get it out might be a problem. I could send you my index number - it might be the same box or not.
Your Thomas Gaifnort may be the man married to Margaret Hatchell. Perhaps she was  John Hatchell's sister.
It may help you to know that such a resource is possibly hidden away in the NAI.

Offline Dave Buck

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 16 July 20 21:34 BST (UK) »
Gainforth was my grandmother's maiden name. She came from Trenton, Ontario.  There were at one time a number of Gainforths there.  You find the name in cemeteries all over the region, and there is still a Gainforth Road.