Author Topic: South Irish Horse at the Curragh Camp?  (Read 979 times)

Offline cailin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
South Irish Horse at the Curragh Camp?
« on: Thursday 27 August 09 22:40 BST (UK) »
I believe that my great-grandad, John Wilson, may have been stationed at the Curragh Camp during WW1, although it is only family history - I have no exact dates or information to back it up.  Originally from South Dublin City Centre, my Dad believes John first joined the South Irish Horse when they were based at Beggars Bush Barracks, which would have been just down the road. The Wilsons were farriers by trade, and by the end of the war, apparently John had been promoted to Farrier Serjent.

Can anyone confirm if some of the South Irish Horse were stationed at the Curragh, or would he have been dispatched to join another regiment / battalion to be at the Curragh??

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: South Irish Horse at the Curragh Camp?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 August 09 23:24 BST (UK) »
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk