Author Topic: COMPLETED with thanks BLISHEW William and Florence of East Maitland 1881  (Read 7857 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED with thanks BLISHEW William and Florence of East Maitland 1881
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 04:29 BST (UK) »
Hi there Gail,

Deeoz has not been online at RChat recently, but hopefully will get a notification that you have posted here.  You could send PM to Deeoz just in case  ;) 

Many cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline gheel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 05:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks

Will do that

Gail

Offline Deeoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 06:21 BST (UK) »
Gail
I would be happy to share what ever info you are looking for. I finished a book on the Blishen family back to 1640-50 and visited England earlier this year. I am working on updating the book and would welcome anything on Sophia. I also have the bates history they were from Stone Buckinghamshire England. Sophia Stephenson was from Edinburgh Scotland.
Send me a message with your email
Regards Diane

Offline PatV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 December 11 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Longtime no see!

We have had a difficult few years and the genealogy has taken a very back seat but I think we're moving out of the mire now. (We've spent this last year 'running'..... Bali, NSW, Paris, London........ I think just to affirm we're not beaten. Anyway, new house, new life and calm prevails.)
And then, out of the ether emerges a new contact and with him, this photograph.

The groom is Richard Hutton Hepplewhite (b1878) ; yes, another one! The woman on his left is Jane Ann (Hepplewhite) Cox, my Grandma. These I am 100% sure about.

The really interesting one is the elderly man in the bowler hat. This can only be the groom's father: Robert Hepplewhite (b1840), the youngest child of  Mary (Hutton) Hepplewhite (b1791) and William Hepplewhite (1788) of Co Durham. I think his wife [Mary (Hay) Hepplewhite b1842] is in the back row in the old-fashioned bonnet but this is conjecture on my part. The other young men are probably the groom's other brothers: William and Richard. The sisters, Jessie and Georgina, are probably there but I don't know where.

The resemblance of some of my uncles to Robert is simply amazing and I wonder if you'll find the same.

The bride's family (top hats, butcher), were a notch above the Hepps (bowler hats) and it's starting to look as if this marriage was arranged by Earl Fitzwilliam after the bride (Alice Hesketh) gave birth to Earl Fitzwilliam's son. How about that for a curved ball? Couldn't see that coming! My contact, name of Hepplewhie (but not a real one) led me to a book: Black Diamonds : The Rise and Fall of a Great English Dynasty by Catherine Baily. I found it rivetting but rather nauseating at times. It explained much in my background.

Pat
Hepplewhite(Durham Derbys) Cox (Yorks Derbys Beds) Vollans(Yorks) Oates(Yorks) Hay(Scot Derbys) Pendleton(Derbys) Jackson(Lincs) Cook/e(Yorks) Shewster(Scot) Hutton(Durham) Hutchinson(Derbys)Sawford(Beds) Firth(Yorks) Ogden(Sheffield)Richardson(Lincs)Hesselgrave(Yorks)

Offline PatV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 December 11 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Last try
Pat
Hepplewhite(Durham Derbys) Cox (Yorks Derbys Beds) Vollans(Yorks) Oates(Yorks) Hay(Scot Derbys) Pendleton(Derbys) Jackson(Lincs) Cook/e(Yorks) Shewster(Scot) Hutton(Durham) Hutchinson(Derbys)Sawford(Beds) Firth(Yorks) Ogden(Sheffield)Richardson(Lincs)Hesselgrave(Yorks)

Offline Suzieqteddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 January 13 10:32 GMT (UK) »
If anyone has any photos of Sophia Blishen, Joseph Bates and their family they would be appreciated. Joseph is my gg grandfather.

Offline Suzieqteddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 January 13 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Gail
I would be happy to share what ever info you are looking for. I finished a book on the Blishen family back to 1640-50 and visited England earlier this year. I am working on updating the book and would welcome anything on Sophia. I also have the bates history they were from Stone Buckinghamshire England. Sophia Stephenson was from Edinburgh Scotland.
Send me a message with your email
Regards Diane
Hello I am very interested in your book , my gg grandfather was Joseph would you have any information on the bates history for Thomas and Mary.
thank you Sue

Offline Tony Blishen

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Tony Blishen has published a number of translations from the Chinese for the Better Link Press New York ranging from modern fiction to the classics. He studied Chinese and Japanese at the School of Oriental and African Studies in London and at the Deng Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 June 15 15:41 BST (UK) »
Dear Diane,
I am a UK Blishen and can trace my direct son-father line only as far as John Blishen b.Epsom Surrey 1775, married Anne Chandler (1799-1830) St Marylebone Middlesex 1799, died Cobham Surrey 1844 and was buried at All Saint's Kingston Surrey, the church I attend now.
I was fascinated to see that you have managed to get back to 1650 and wonder where I might obtain your book.
There is quite a (19/20th century) diaspora of Blishens; my fathers progeny in Canada account for Bernard Blishen a retired professor of sociology and Bernard's daughter Jennifer, a high court judge amongst others, there are also Blishens in New Zealand.
tonyb