Author Topic: Austin/Roberts/Pugh muddle?  (Read 16613 times)

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Wonderful Mother & Father
    • View Profile
Re: Austin/Roberts/Pugh muddle?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 31 August 09 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish

You're welcome

Wendy :)
VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, HOLDER, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR, HALES/GOUGH, PRICE, COOK, BURNELL, HOLBIN, MERRY, GUNNING, WOOD, STOCK, GULLOCK, GWILLYM Som/Glos
COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, MEREDITH, HODGES, MESSIDER, SMALLRIDGE, BACHE, ELLSMORE Hfs
NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
Abram C[H]ARLSON Sweden/Ldn
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
STILES, DORTON, GOFFE, BLY Ldn
OSMOND Hants
All UK census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 September 09 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi I have just found out from my mother that Catherine Austin had a daughter before marriage and her name was Phoebe (this might or might not be right).  So you were right to think that, could you, or do you still have that information. Regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 27 September 09 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have been away.

Do you still require help?

If so what.

VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, HOLDER, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR, HALES/GOUGH, PRICE, COOK, BURNELL, HOLBIN, MERRY, GUNNING, WOOD, STOCK, GULLOCK, GWILLYM Som/Glos
COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, MEREDITH, HODGES, MESSIDER, SMALLRIDGE, BACHE, ELLSMORE Hfs
NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
OSMOND Hants

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 27 September 09 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi you mentioned that Elizabeth might or might not have had an illigitimate daughter well it appears she did, but her name was Pheobe same as Elizabeth's sister.
Do you still have this info?

regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 28 September 09 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

Who do you think had Pheobe and when?

Catherine or Elizabeth Who?

There is no Elizabeth mentioned so who is she?

Wendy
NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
OSMOND Hants

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 03 October 09 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi sorry been away, Elizabeth is Elizabeth Roberts born c1876 who had an illegitimate daughter, my mother says the daughter was Phoebe, but cannot be Phoebe sister of Elizabeth, as Elizabeth would be too young.  So much be another Phoebe born illigitimately to Elizabeth?  Elizabeth is the daughter of William & Mary J Roberts (nee Austin).

regards Pauline

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 October 09 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish

Why do you think Elizabeth is too young to have a baby born in 1896 as she is 15 in 1891? I think the only way to find out is to purchase the Birth Certificate but maybe Phoebe was registered as Mary's although it's illegal. Mary is still young enough to have another child in 1895 though.

1891 Census for 115 Abertillery Road, Aberystruth

William Roberts     45 Head Coal Miner b Berkley Gloucestershire
Mary J Roberts    35 Wife b Blaina
Alice J Roberts    16 Dau b Blaina
Elizabeth Roberts    15 Dau b Blaina
John Roberts    9 Son b Blaina
William J Roberts    7 Son b Blaina
RG12 Piece 4353 Folio 59 Page 49

Births Mar 1896
Roberts    Phoebe    Bedwelty    11a    95

1901 Census for 115 Abertillery Road, Aberystruth
William Roberts    54 Head Coal Miner Hewer b Newport, Gloucestershire
Mary Jane Roberts    46 Wife b Blaina
Thomas John Roberts    19 Son Coal Miner Hewer b Blaina
William James Roberts    17 Son Coal Miner Hewer b Blaina
Phoebe Roberts  5 Dau b Blaina
Rose Colborn    16 Domestic Servant b Blaina
 RG13 Piece 4935 Folio 24 Page 39

This one I think is too late unless Elizabeth didn't marry. She would have been in her early 30's.

Births Dec 1908
Roberts    Phoebe Elizabeth    Bedwelty    11a    62

NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
OSMOND Hants

Offline rfaustin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 20 November 09 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi 'Trish'

I was interested in your blog because it was the first result when I googled "Emrys Austin, Blaina".

I am interested to know your relationship with him - was he perhaps your father?

Emrys Austin was my great uncle though I never met him.

As I understand it, he was the youngest in the family comprising John b1887, Maggie b1889,Thomas b1890, Morgan S b1891, Haydon b1895, (??Elsie b1901) and Emrys. Elsie is in brackets because my uncle , who I spoke to yesterday, has never heard of her. Maybe she died young, or could this be a transcription error in the online census data, and this is actually Emrys. Of these siblings, my uncle thinks John married Catherine Hill and had children Anita, Gwladys, Margaret and Jack (Jackie), Maggie married Charlie Evans and had children William James, Sally and Alec, Thomas (actually Thomas John Austin, there is a transcription error) married Ethel Powell and had children Ifor and Howard, Morgan Samuel died in the first world war trenches, Haydon moved to Garnant with the rest of the family in the early to mid 1920s but died in the 1920s, Elsie - nothing known, Emrys married Nella and kept a drapers/ladies' outfitters shop in the Blaina area, and had Patricia who my uncle vaguely remembers meeting in Bournemouth when she was about 10, and my uncle about 12.

R

Offline rfaustin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 20 November 09 20:58 GMT (UK) »
...further to the above,
In reply to your initial question  regarding who were Emrys Austin's parents, I believe they were James Austin 1864-1922 (died after an accident in Raven Colliery, Garnant, but returned to Blaina for the funeral), and Sarah Jane Samuel, who was the daughter of John Samuel and Margaret Beynon.
I also have had difficulty disentangling Sarah Jane's family and have found reference to Saunders which my uncle caonnot explain at present.
Sarah Jane died about 1915, and James subsequently married a widow, Mrs Williams, who had sons one of whom played rugby for Wales, and another cricket for Monmouthshire.
James Austin was the second child in that generation which comprised John b1861 (he married but no known children, lived in Wiltshire/Somerset), James 1864-1922, William b1866, Catherine b1869 and Thomasb1871. This is from the census,but my uncle believes James had 2 sisters, oneof whom married a Roberts, and the other a Will Dix. My uncle's father had a friend Will Dix who was the son of another Will Dix.