Author Topic: Lookup please. Great grandfather Davis  (Read 8222 times)

Offline odonnellt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup please. Great grandfather Davis
« on: Saturday 29 August 09 14:20 BST (UK) »
 I've not posted on here before but thought it worth a try.

Researching the family tree & would love any information on my dad's grandparents on his mums side.

William Davis 1889-1965. From Dublin
 Mary Davis    no dates for her. Was told she was a similar age to William though. From Tipperary.

William was in the British Army, based at Beggars Bush. Served in Bombay, India 1939-1945. Mary was out there with him. Have been told he was a Sergeant Major. Definately was an instructor of some sort. My uncle still has Williams whistle with 1916 on it.
 Have been told by dad's older brother that Mary was pregnant when they went to India & that the baby was born aboard ship. Also, that another child was born in India. Not sure of any dates for this though & assume they had a previous posting abroad as they would've been about 50 in 1939.
 They lived at 50 Mountjoy Square in 1939 before being posted. Believe they lived in Clarence Street, North Strand in 1950.
 Not a lot to go on I admit, but it's a lot more than I had 4 day's ago when I started in earnest researching.
 Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup please. Great grandfather Davis
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 August 09 14:47 BST (UK) »
Probably the place to start is with 1911 Census for Ireland, which is online on the Nation Archives website (free) at : http://census.nationalarchives.ie/

An Index to the Civil Registers is available on familysearch at : http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=2;t=searchable

If you find any possible matches you can order certs from the GRO by post using the Index details - www.groireland.ie

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 August 09 17:03 BST (UK) »
William and Mary appear on the 1939-1940 Dublin City Electoral Rolls at 50 Mountjoy Square.

http://www.dublinheritage.ie/electoral/advanced.php

They share a house with a number of other families. Might be worth checking out the other names to see if they are related.

Dara.

Offline Beach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 August 09 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a William Davis born 1889 to William Davis and Mary Walsh.  He was my grandfathers brother.  I have them living in the Mountjoy Square area in 1911 census.  My grandfather Albert also served in the British Army during World War 1.  My grandfather was a tailor as also was his father and  his brother.  If you think there is a connection I can give you further details.
Kinsella McDonald - Wicklow  Gaffney O'Hara Humphreys Davis Brophy - Dublin  Caulfield Timulty Westmeath/Longford

Offline odonnellt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 August 09 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a William Davis born 1889 to William Davis and Mary Walsh.  He was my grandfathers brother.  I have them living in the Mountjoy Square area in 1911 census.  My grandfather Albert also served in the British Army during World War 1.  My grandfather was a tailor as also was his father and  his brother.  If you think there is a connection I can give you further details.

I looked at the Davis's living in Summerhill in the 1911 census. Wasn't sure what to make of it though as it looked like William was the head of house. But looking further down I see John aged 20 & wonder if he was the head of house & married to Annie. Is that right?
 I think there is a link to my dads grandad there, what do you think??

Offline odonnellt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 August 09 23:46 BST (UK) »
William and Mary appear on the 1939-1940 Dublin City Electoral Rolls at 50 Mountjoy Square.

http://www.dublinheritage.ie/electoral/advanced.php

They share a house with a number of other families. Might be worth checking out the other names to see if they are related.

Dara.

Thanks Dara,

I was given this on dublinforums.ie earlier this week.  There's 4 O'Donnells living at the same address as the 2 Davis's. They're all related to me. Henry & Nora are my nanny & grandad. Nora is William & Mary's daughter. Edward & Helen are Henry's brother & sister in law.

Regards,
  Tracey

Offline odonnellt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 August 09 23:49 BST (UK) »
Probably the place to start is with 1911 Census for Ireland, which is online on the Nation Archives website (free) at : http://census.nationalarchives.ie/

An Index to the Civil Registers is available on familysearch at : http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=2;t=searchable

If you find any possible matches you can order certs from the GRO by post using the Index details - www.groireland.ie

Thanks Shane,

I've checked the census website already this week & got a lot of info from it. Also checked the ancestors on board website & got William & Mary sailing to Bombay, India  in 1939 on there.
 Can't check the family search website though as haven't got the download for it & my PC crashes every time I try to put anything new on it.

Regards,
  Tracey

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 August 09 02:19 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.

In my experience, the more specific you can be about what you are looking for the better the help you will get.

Good luck with your research.

Dara.

Offline odonnellt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 August 09 11:03 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.

In my experience, the more specific you can be about what you are looking for the better the help you will get.

Good luck with your research.

Dara.

Hi Dara,
  Thanks for the advice. What am I looking for???
 I'd love to know more about Williams time in the British Army I suppose, where he was posted to, what regiment he was in, when did he enlist etc. Did Mary really have a baby aboard ship & did she have another in India or is this just family legend??
 Also, I'd love to know when he got married, how many kids he had, any brothers & sisters he had, where they lived etc. Love to know more about Mary too as have no info on her, not even birth & death info.

Thanks,
  Tracey