Author Topic: Lookup please. Great grandfather Davis  (Read 8198 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup please. Great grandfather Davis
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 30 August 09 15:36 BST (UK) »
The 1911 census should list county of birth- have you looked at the scanned image to see what's listed?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 August 09 16:10 BST (UK) »
I would go for the birth cert of Margaret first to confirm we have the right match, then try to find William jnr's birth to see if the parents match up.

Annie's place of birth on the census looks to be Queens county - which is next door to Tipperary.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Beach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 August 09 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Tracey,
The William Davis listed on the 1911 Census living in Summerhill is my Grandfathers brother.  His parents are also listed living at 157.2  Britain Street, Rotunda.  If this is your William, he is the second son of William Davis and Mary Walsh.  I have their 1901 Census Return - they were living at 9 Grenville St. and William is listed on that Return age 11.
My Mother who is in her eighties remembers John but can't remember what happened to William.  My grandfather was married twice and my mother is the youngest child of the second marriage.  She also remembers that John was married twice .  Wlliam's mother Mary died in 1943 at 13 Mountjoy St.  I have not found his fathers date of death.
There also other children on the 1901 Return - Elizabeth, Hanora, Rose and Mary Jane.  On the 1911 there is another child Annie.
Kinsella McDonald - Wicklow  Gaffney O'Hara Humphreys Davis Brophy - Dublin  Caulfield Timulty Westmeath/Longford

Offline odonnellt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 31 August 09 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Tracey,
The William Davis listed on the 1911 Census living in Summerhill is my Grandfathers brother.  His parents are also listed living at 157.2  Britain Street, Rotunda.  If this is your William, he is the second son of William Davis and Mary Walsh.  I have their 1901 Census Return - they were living at 9 Grenville St. and William is listed on that Return age 11.
My Mother who is in her eighties remembers John but can't remember what happened to William.  My grandfather was married twice and my mother is the youngest child of the second marriage.  She also remembers that John was married twice .  Wlliam's mother Mary died in 1943 at 13 Mountjoy St.  I have not found his fathers date of death.
There also other children on the 1901 Return - Elizabeth, Hanora, Rose and Mary Jane.  On the 1911 there is another child Annie.

Hi Beach,

Thanks for the info, sounds to me like it's the same William. Have PM'd you.

Kind Regards,
   Tracey

Offline odonnellt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 31 August 09 21:41 BST (UK) »
I would go for the birth cert of Margaret first to confirm we have the right match, then try to find William jnr's birth to see if the parents match up.

Annie's place of birth on the census looks to be Queens county - which is next door to Tipperary.

Shane

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your help again. If Annie was born in Queens county & it's next door to Tipperary then possibly that's where the family get the Tipperary connection from.
 Now, if I can get this PC to stop crashing for 5 mins I'll be able to get cracking again.

Kind Regards,
  Tracey

Offline odonnellt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 31 August 09 22:05 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.

In my experience, the more specific you can be about what you are looking for the better the help you will get.

Good luck with your research.

Dara.

Hi Dara,

Thanks for all your help so far with my search, much appreciated.
Any idea how I go about looking for William's Army records etc?? All I've got to go on so far is he was born in 1889, died in 1965. Was stationed at Beggars Bush, went to India with his wife Annie. Family legend say's she had a baby on board ship & another in India. Been told he was a Sergeant Major but don't know if this is true or family legend.
 He had 4 daughters & 1 son. Nora, my gran died in 1978 aged 65. In 1911 census 2 daughters names were Mary bridget aged 2 & Margaret aged 0.

Thanks,
  Tracey

Offline Beach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 31 August 09 22:55 BST (UK) »
Tracey,

Just sent you my email address.

Catherine
Kinsella McDonald - Wicklow  Gaffney O'Hara Humphreys Davis Brophy - Dublin  Caulfield Timulty Westmeath/Longford

Offline odonnellt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 31 August 09 23:16 BST (UK) »
Tracey,

Just sent you my email address.

Catherine

Thanks,

Have sent you the link.

Tracey

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 31 August 09 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I saw Kenny in no.50 Mountjoy Sq.in your email No.15 and  then I saw  the reference to No.9 Grenville Street.
My Irish Times source work for No.9  on September 27th  1879 on Page 3 showsa reference to a Daniel F. Kenny.
Some help I hope.

Regards           Quaxer