Author Topic: single mothers home run by nuns  (Read 70942 times)

Offline jobird33

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: single mothers home run by nuns
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 19:13 BST (UK) »
HI ALL, I am trying to find my Nannas birth mother, she was in st teresa's or another unwed mother and baby place in manchester, she was born cathleen callagan on the 04/03/1943 her mother was named margaret callagan on the birth certificate, but having read these posts im now aware this could of been an alias ... does anyone know where I could find out more info ... she was legally adopted at strangeways magestrates court, I have done a DNA test for her that links her relatives to Co.Cavan in Ireland, thanks

Offline lancaster.jim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 21:37 BST (UK) »
JoBird, most of the surviving records for the Catholic homes for unmarried mothers that operated in the Diocese of Salford have been collected by Caritas Diocese of Salford.  This organisation has a web site and one of the services provided is post-adoption help.  Have a look at https://www.caritassalford.org.uk/service-view/services-3/
It provides - Services for adoptees; Services for adoptive families; and Services for birth relatives.

Offline StephenWit

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Monday 08 July 19 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hello.

I have just found out today that my BM, Moira Armstrong was at St Theresa’s in January 1963. I was born on January 7th and my name was Paul. My BM was only there a few weeks before going back to her family home in Chorlton where she was one of five children.

This thread has been very interesting to read and has given me much to think about.

I’d be grateful if anyone has any information to please get in contact with me.

Offline Bex1985

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've just stumbled across this site while trying to find information about my Dad. My Dad was born on 26th February 1943 in I believe the Manchester area as this is where he was brought up until the age of 5. We think he was adopted in 1948 and may have been with his adoptive parents before this.  Sadly my Dad passed away in November 2016 and had no idea he was adopted. It was a family secret, his cousins knew he was adopted but none of them seem to know any information about it other than his Birth Father was apparently French Canadian. We have a couple of pictures of him as a baby but can't work out where these would have been taken. I have been in contact with different agencies and one came back with the suggestion of the St Theresa's mother and baby home. I'm unsure of how much information/photo's etc I can post on here?

Beccy

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Thursday 01 August 19 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Beccy,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

RootsChat is a family history website, you can post as much as you like with images, text etc the only thing you need to be aware of is that we do not research details of living folk specifically.

Good Luck !

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Julieashton1965

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Sunday 05 July 20 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hello, My name is Julie
I Was in St. Theresa's Home for Unmarried mothers in 1984 the year it closed. At the time I was pregnant with my daughter. The home was awful even then, and the nuns would say and do such cruel things. I met women there who had come from Ireland pregnant to have their babies. It was a different time then and they'd apparently brought shame on their families. Nearly all of these women from what I remember, gave birth in the home, very few went to the hospital. Not many seemed to keep their babies though and nobody seemed to know where the babies went either. I eventually left and returned to a violent partner which at that time seemed a better option. It seems unimaginable to think the last of these homes only closed in the 80s.

Offline Megan Banham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Saturday 18 July 20 14:08 BST (UK) »
Looking for a girl born 22nd September 1957. My grandma was sent to 61 broom lane mother and vaby home to have you from Ireland. My dad was adopted two years after you. We have only jist found out about you and would love to find you x

Offline meisbri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Saturday 09 October 21 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
My name is Brian. My mother was listed by CARITAS as being at St Teresa's Mother and Baby Home in 1952. I was born in Hope hospital the same year, and adopted six months later.
 My mothers name was / is M H I think had a friend there Elizabeth K who was a witness at my christening at St. Thomas of Canterbury, upper Broughton.
Her last address is listed at St. Teresa's and also 803 Chorley Old Road, Bolton.
Also which is a bit confusing, her occupation is listed as 'Domestic' at Singleton Nursing Home, Salford.
Iv'e been searching for over 30 years without success, so any memories, snippets of info. would be gratefully received.

Offline Ali_cat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I only knew my dad's name and had 2 photos of him, remember seeing him twice when I was little.

As my mum has passed decided to do a DNA test and my closest match was in Australia. The lady messaged me to say her dad was adopted from a Manchester Nuns Society in 1959. The fathers name after research is my dad's brother and mother surname beginning H.
She had spoken to salvation army 20+ years ago who said the Manchester Nuns Society is now a servo (gas station) if anyone can help me discover the exact name of the place would be fabulous