Author Topic: single mothers home run by nuns  (Read 71048 times)

Offline winnie brown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: single mothers home run by nuns
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 20:49 BST (UK) »
I to was born at the maternity home on Broome Lane April 1945 It was bought from John Brown he was a mill owner and it had been his family home for himself his wife Mary and about 8 /9 children all the children died from 2/3 months old up to round about 15 .The only child that survived was a girl called Anne Estella who declared her love for a priest and spent the rest of her life in a convent she died Jan 1959 in a convent in Royton Oldham.When i was 38 i traced my birth mother who had the surname Brown (CHRISTIAN NAME WITH HELD)  She was a relation of John Brown so you could say i was born in the family home ! 

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
  • I thought I was the lone survivor..think again
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 14:34 BST (UK) »
wow.  that's amazing.  how long have you been searching?  you have uncovered a lot.  the brown story is sad.  the stories surrounding this home are amazing and so wide spread.  How are things today for you?
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan

Offline winnie brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 30 June 11 15:19 BST (UK) »
 You are right the Brown story is sad ... his mill was called Bradley Fold Mill and was in Bolton i believe now it is a modern housing estate .He manufactured equipment to go into the mills rather than it being a working mill. All the family are buried in Moston Cemertry . My adoptive parents were very active in helping the sisters at Broome Lane in raising funds so that they could continue with their work.My adoptive father would go and collect the young girls from their homes when they were going to stay at St Teresa's prior to giving birth and then return them afterwards. Ican remember the 2 houses very clearly with all the little canvas cots laid out in rows in the summer months Although i was adopted at 6 weeks we would return on a regular basis because my adoptive father had a bussiness in Smithfied Market m/c and usrd to supply the convent with all fish fruit etc so as you can guess we were always welcome . John Browns wife Mary came to live in Blackpool after he died and i have been to see the house she bought it is now turned into flats but on her death was brought back to be buried in the family grave in Moston

Offline rawsthorn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 15:44 BST (UK) »
hi i was just Reading on your post and my sister was born there to and we are tr yin are best to find out so much because are mother or Nana is int alive now and we have only just found each other properly. we have been to broom lane but it is now a nursing home and when Reading on your post i seen you mention about 2 houses? as we have only been told about 1 house were the mothers stayed as we have got pictures as well any help you could give would be much appreciated. thank you

Offline jtwp1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.

I was in St Theresa's from November 59 through to Oct 60 under the name of Leslie Reid after being put up for adoption.

I would be interested in any records or to hear from anyone who had links to that period. Also 13 Lime Grove, Longsight, Manchester  (now demolished).

Or anyone who  may have known or  come into contact with a Joyce Reid or Mary Joyce Reid  - possibly from Ireland.

Thanks

Offline colner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello  I was at St theresa's in 1968. Pls  mail me if you still want info.

Offline jtwp1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have some information in the form of a leaflet explaining a little about the history of the place, but nothing more.

Any information (pics, contacts) that you may have would be useful, you never know one small snippet may lead to another.

Thanks for the reply

Cheers

John

Offline colner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi John
Are you searching for something specific? I just came across the forum this morning and am still reading up.   Have you a connection with St Theresa's?

Offline jtwp1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colner

We are on an adoption trace and have quite a lot of detail, but now seeking any links that may be associated to the home.

Any records that may be accessed publicly or facts that may lead to help tracing a person.

We suspect my mother was Irish and shipped over to have me in England, but then she vanishes again!

No records at all of the name given in the English or Scottish records hence Irish thoughts - also ties in with other facts we have.

Also because I spent the first many months of my life there, it would be interesting to see what it was like past that of a black and white photo on a history leaflet.....

Cheers

John