Author Topic: single mothers home run by nuns  (Read 70545 times)

Offline Larns01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: single mothers home run by nuns
« Reply #99 on: Friday 13 July 18 23:54 BST (UK) »
 tinker11

« Reply #83 on: Thursday 12 February 15 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Just read the info re St Teresas Broome Lane Salford-My husband was born there in 1941and we often wondered why he was still with his mum when he was christened at 6 weeks-thinking that babies were taken at birth.

I was interested in what you posted as my mother was born at st Teresa's in 1941 and she was also moved to another convent home and her mother was supposed to have continued paying for her to be kept. Like your husband I think my mum was moved 3 times in Catholic childten homes to london till she was about 6 weeks with her mother in tow until all payments stopped her mother was no longer in the picture at this time.
I would be interested in finding out more as my grandmother was listed as a cook in St Teresa's in 1941.

Offline MDT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Monday 13 August 18 12:22 BST (UK) »
Still coming back to this chat now and again to read your stories, I wish my birth mother could find the confidence to have some contact with me :-/

I notice a couple of people referring to a website link posted by Mary8, but I can't seem to find it in this thread. Can anyone point me to it please?

M

Offline julz-dave

• RootsChat Extra
  • the picture is me as a baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi ,just read the posts re Broom lane ,I was an unmarried mum in St Teresa's in 1969 ,not the best of memories ,
hi I was born at Hope Hospital in Jan 1969 then taken to  St Teresa's 

Offline julz-dave

• RootsChat Extra
  • the picture is me as a baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi my birth mum was in this home run by nuns I was born 1960's in hope hospital then taken with my birth mum to St Teresa's till I was adopted in march 60's and brought up in Bolton my birth mothers name is J T and she was from Ireland im not sure if shes still in Manchester she was 18 when she had me im now 40's yrs old. I would love to hear from her.

Offline Kelly_julie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Friday 18 January 19 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I don't know if I can be of help but I was in this particular mother & baby home in the early 80s whilst pregnant with my daughter. It was one of the Magdelene houses so not a nice place to be even then.

Offline Kelly_julie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Friday 18 January 19 17:41 GMT (UK) »
When I was resident at St. Teresa's in the early 80s there were lots of Irish girls there. I was only there for 6 months but it was too long. Some girls gave birth in the home, you could hear them but what happened to the babies I don't know. All I know is that some had a short time with their babies in the nursery, but some never got to be with theirs. Whether you had time with your babies or not, you were made to take care of other people's children in the nursery. Even in the 80s the nuns were barbaric.

Offline Kelly_julie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Saturday 18 May 19 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi if you're still looking for records from this home in the 1940s you might want to try here.

http://www.adoptionsearchreunion.org.uk/search/adoptionrecords/organisationDetail.aspx?id=473

I believe they have records from this home.
Julie

Offline Searching_for_Barbara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 01:31 BST (UK) »
Hi - I've been trying to help my mum find her birth mother and came across this post. She was in St Theresa's mother and baby home in from August 1966. I don't want to put any extra strain on your relationship, but was wondering if your BM might remember her and be able to shed any light on what she was planning to do next. She was called Barbara C. I've been looking for a while now but can't find any trace of her after the home. Please do et in touch if you think she might be able to help in any way at all. Thanks!

Offline Searching_for_Barbara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, my birth mother was sent to the mother and baby home in Broom Lane (think it was 67) in 1966.  I was born in sept 66 and adopted in early 1967.  I traced her when I turned 18 and we attended a support group for a short time, for mothers who'd had thier children adopted. One of the other mothers had attended the same home 10 years later and I think it had closed soon after this.  It was run by Catholic nuns and I'm sure my mum would have more memories if you're interested, get in touch and I'll get her to post on here.  All the best.  :)

pendlelass, my mum was born and adopted 1960's too. I've been trying to help her find her birth mum. If your mum could remember anything about her I know my mum would be over the moon!