Author Topic: single mothers home run by nuns  (Read 71077 times)

Offline colner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: single mothers home run by nuns
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi John.   I was there April to June 1968.  The Sisters Of Charity were decent people but very Catholic.   We girls were offered different names on arrival to enable our situation to be kept secret.  Adoption was facilitated and encouraged.  It was assumed that you would hand over your baby, firstly to a foster carer and then sign your child over for adoption.
  The girls who were there in my time were vulnerable and extremely dependent on St Theresa's. Some had come over from Ireland to have their babies.
  I wish you well with your search John.  Mail me if you think I can help.

Offline barwal

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 22 April 12 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi ,just read the posts re Broom lane ,I was an unmarried mum in St Teresa's in 1969 ,not the best of memories ,

Offline SFenwick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hello, i am new to this site. i was in this mother and baby home in 1971 and would like to find my daughter who was adopted. Just that i am not sure she may want that. its very difficult. It was a sad, sad time for me. I have and always will think about her on a daily basis.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 15:25 BST (UK) »
I can totally understand all the people looking for their birth children.  I had a daughter adopted in 1960 and never forgot her, but was worried about looking for her, mainly because I'd not told anyone (even my husband) about her.  However, when she was in her mid 40s she found me.  My husband was totally OK with the situation and his first response was "When do we go and see her?"

As she doesn't live in UK, we don't meet very often and keep in touch mainly by e-mail.

Good luck to all of you.

Lizzie

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
  • I thought I was the lone survivor..think again
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 18 May 12 05:06 BST (UK) »
I have a pamphlet of the home.. I think it was from 1957 or later.. I will try to post it soon. 

My mother left England after having my sister and went to Australia, I think to start a new.. the 10 pom cruise was a sponsored trip to Australia to bring qualified people to bulk up the work force.

Caratis Salford Adoption Agency held my sister's records.  They were very kind.  I figured a catholic agency would fit my mother, since she was Irish Catholic. 

PM me, if you have any questions.  I have done research... if I can help in any way... Best of Luck

Reeves, McCabe, Hogan

Offline mso1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 11:27 BST (UK) »
I was in the Mother & Baby home at Broome Lane in 1973/74 for approx nine months with my son. I remember my time there and the place very well. The 'girls' - some pregnant and others with their babies, were housed in an extension and although the 'regime' was quite strict, generally the nuns were very caring.
We had a curfew of 6pm!! after which time all the doors and gates to the grounds were locked and the only way out (with permission) was through a tunnel in the cellar which led to the convent. I used to avoid this if I could because it was very long and all the lights were on timer so if one light went out before you got to the next switch you were in pitch black darkness and often unable to find the next light switch! We had to be in bed early (9pm I think). Although the concept of mother & baby homes gets criticised nowadays, I dont tend to look back on my time there as totally negative
Moss - Herefordshire/Shropshire
Shutt - Herefordshire/Worcestershire
Morris - Herefordshire
Price -  Shropshire
Preece - Herefordshire
Gittins - Herefordshire/Shropshire
Wilde - Shropshire
Parkes - Shropshire

O'Neill - Waterford/Lancashire
Burns - Waterford/Lancashire
Bentley - Lancashire/Yorkshire
Berry - Yorkshire/Lancashire
Marsden - Yorkshire

Offline molme1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 22:50 BST (UK) »
Came across Winnie's posts while researching Brown family. Winnie seems to know quite a lot about the family. Would like to know more if possible.
Believe Mary Brown may have had as many as 15 children!!, (6 died young).

Offline shirleyjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 22 October 12 20:32 BST (UK) »
I was at St Teresa's from 1st May 1968 till mid July. I kept my son, born 15th June, but have never forgotten seeing those poor girls weeping when they gave their babies up for adoption. Many of them were Irish, often returning afterwards to marry the father of their child, their families wanting to preserve the outward show of Catholic respectability.
The nuns were kind and caring, but trapped in the system.
I remember a young nun, Sister Mark, I think she wasl called.
I get tearful remembering that time. It would be great to hear from anyone
who was at St Teresa's then.

Offline Roden

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 04 November 12 11:47 GMT (UK) »
i would appreciate any help what so ever there was a single mothers home in salford on i think broom lane in the 60s which was run by nuns it is a now a nursing home any help would be great , does anyone know any thing about this
My Birth mother was sent to St Teresa's mother and baby home in 1966,I was born in March 1967. My BM was ill after she had me so went into Ladywell hospital I was sent back to the home without her. When she left Ladywell she was able to go home but 3 months after I was born (birth name Joanne Catherine Roden)  My BM was taking by her parents back to Broom Lane where she changed me into going away clothes and then driven by her parent with me on her lap at aged 3 months to St Catherines in Manchester. To hand me over to Sister Philomena who came in the room and took me of my 16 year old Mum. My mum was told to go home and get on with her life. I traced my BM in 1999 we had a fantastic reunion. Felt it very necessary to go back to Broom Lane and St Thomas of Canterbury where I was Christened without my Mother prescent as she was in hospital. ( the Christening took place with 12 other baby's all at the same time. My godparents where other women from the home I know one of them is called Ronda. We did get to see the priest of the church at the time and see the entry of my Christening. Our reunion wasgreat for a long time but my Mum's family doesn't want to know me so does put a strain on our relationship. I havealso meet my Birth Father who I see from time to time his family have been more understanding. But it has never been as full on as with my Mum. I felt an instant need for her and still feel like that 13 years on.