Author Topic: Rootes Aircraft Factory Speke WW2  (Read 46131 times)

Offline lesleystree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ROOTES AIRCRAFT FACTORY SPEKE WW2
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 August 09 23:03 BST (UK) »
Paul,

I presume you've googled Rootes & speke and found these (and there's more)

Have a look at the 1st link in particular. Having sped read it it looks as though it may have turned into a dunlop factory and have been demolished. Please read it yourself as I only skim read and may be wrong.

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/archive/index.php?t-46291.html

http://www.south-lancs-aviation.bravepages.com/history_of_speke_airport.htm

http://www.military-genealogy.org.uk/3011/RN_Air_Station_Speke

Offline liverbird09

• RootsChat Veteran
  • socken
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 August 09 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My husband's father used to work there. It later became Dunlops.

Offline COMEONFRANK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 August 09 23:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lesley I had'nt seen those links on the factory , they give loads of information.
Thanks also to Liverbird , maybe if I search Dunlop Factory I will Find more info.
Cheers Paul

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 August 09 08:49 BST (UK) »
As someone has said the Rootes factory was used by Dunlops after the war, but has since been demolished and redeveloped.  On later maps, Speke Hall Road can be seen and where Dunlop Road leads off is opposite the old main gates. 
There was a direct pathway on the west of the site for the completed aircraft leading into the original Liverpool Airport and its runways. 
Dunlops' sports ground is still there, but looked neglected last time I passed.

Offline COMEONFRANK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 August 09 10:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ainslie I will have a look on a map to see where it was, it is so frustrating as nearly every link to my family tree has been demolished.

Did the Dunlop tyre Factory make both tyres and wellies as I have seen pictures for both but I was unsure if this was the same place.

Thanks Paul

Offline Heyesie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 11:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ainslie I will have a look on a map to see where it was, it is so frustrating as nearly every link to my family tree has been demolished.

Did the Dunlop tyre Factory make both tyres and wellies as I have seen pictures for both but I was unsure if this was the same place.

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul

I played around this area as a kid growing up in Speke.
it backs on to Speke hall and we used to walk along side the factory which was then Dunlops
across  a farmers field were we used to find golf balls made by Dunlop
at then of the field was a woods were we all used to play and through this you came to Speke hall
I have a great book which plots the origins of Speke with some really good phots
some of which are of the factory letting out at night
there are  people going off in differing directions via for the bus stops and what not.
The book is part of the images of England series,and is titled Around Speke
complied by David Paul. published by Tempus publishing of Stroud Gloucester.
The main area where the main gates where in now all industrial units modern.
and the main road which ran along Dunlops is ow the approach to John Lennon airport
just looking at the page now a I write this
there is an aerial view of Rootes factory c1939 in the book
and also some of the main entrance and Speke hall avenvue in 1951 and 1966

Offline COMEONFRANK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 September 09 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Heyesie

Thanks for the information, your book sounds really interesting I will have to try and get a copy as I can't seem to find any photo's of the factory when aircraft were built there.
Cheers Paul

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 September 09 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hiya Paul....my mum worked there and it had 3 sections....making planes...a munition factory...and packing parachutes...the edge of the factory was on the same road as the back entrance to the Airport....so the parachutes and ammo were flown out as soon as they were packed...all about time factor during the war....when I was a kid I can remember it all being camouflaged in paint.....a part of the factory was United Reclaim....this was a subsiduary of Dunlops where they recycled old tyres reclaiming any metal and burning the rubber....it was a very large factory and there must be some info on the web about it....try www.yoliverpool.com and go to districts and then Speke ......failing that google All Saints Church Speke ...there is a website for this church for old cubs / scouts /brownies /girl guides......loads and loads of Speke people on there....SOMEONE will have a photo.....good luck....allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 September 09 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hiya Paul....it would appear there was a "Flight Magazine" printed monthly from 1909 to 2005 and a website has them all digitally scanned....go to
www.flightglobal.com  ..presumably in the Archives section..also an images section..  allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford