Author Topic: De havillands, Broughton 1940's/50's  (Read 2093 times)

Offline maxidog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
De havillands, Broughton 1940's/50's
« on: Sunday 30 August 09 09:17 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone is able to tell me about an incidence of 'fraud' that occurred sometime in the late 1940's or the early 1950's. at the Broughton factory of De Havillands. It was something about 'fiddling the books' on spare parts - I think the parts were to be supplied to Jersey airlines.

I have tried to find information in the local papers at that time but I have not found any reports. I have been told that someone who worked there at the time of the incident could help me but unfortunately when I traced him his wife told me he had developed Alzheimer's.

I have phoned the factory but I was passed from 'pillar to post' - and I was told that they only kept records for 6 years on  personnel BUT I believe that they should have a record on an incident of this kind. The culprit was a relative of mine but I do not know which relative. I believe he was brought to trial and given an 18 months gaol sentence.

I have also visited National Archives hoping to discover details after the Prison Service told me that after 6 years they send records to Kew. The N.A. said that unless I knew where and when the trial was held they could not help me. I am hoping someone who looks up Rootschat can guide/help me with this issue. I only discovered this site in the past few weeks and after 5 years of trying to find out where my father died someone in Rootschat told me he had died in New Zealand. So I am hopeful for success with this request.

Offline Taidquest

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Quo Fata Vocant
    • View Profile
Re: De havillands, Broughton 1940's/50's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 September 09 01:03 BST (UK) »
sorry can't help with query but just ensuring
I get updates on your topic as I am convinced
 that my grandfather John Owens worked in the same
place between 1940 and december 1946.

Anne