Author Topic: Bovenizer/McDonald. Look up please.  (Read 7340 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Bovenizer/McDonald. Look up please.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 11:52 BST (UK) »
I am not sure now that the family listed on the census actually fit your timeline...

I cant see any way that Annie aged 9 on the form could have married (James McD) and had a daughter (also Annie) that could then have married (William J) in 1931..as the earliest she could have been married would be about 1920

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline odonnellt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 23:36 BST (UK) »
I am not sure now that the family listed on the census actually fit your timeline...

I cant see any way that Annie aged 9 on the form could have married (James McD) and had a daughter (also Annie) that could then have married (William J) in 1931..as the earliest she could have been married would be about 1920

Shane

Hi Shane,

Was thinking the same thing myself. And as these are the only Bovenizers listed in Dublin then perhaps the ones I'm looking for aren't from Dublin after all. I'll check back with the family to see if they have any more info for me.
 Thanks again,
  Tracey

Offline pwaldron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 April 10 10:11 BST (UK) »
My Bovenizer connection is remote - my grandmother's first cousin married a man whose greatgrandmother was a Bovenizer.

Despite a long connection with Trinity College Dublin, I never made the acquaintance of Harry Bovenizer, who worked there as a librarian for many years.  However, I have just been reading some amusing tales of Harry and his family in Michael de Barrabeiti's chapter in Trinity Tales: Trinity College Dublin in the Sixties (Dublin: Lilliput Press, 2009).  Harry's father, known as Barney Bovenizer, was the gate man at Mount Jerome Cemetery in Dublin.

A quick trawl through the Irish Civil Registration Indexes suggests that Barney was a nickname for the above Henry (7 in 1911) of Rathmines Avenue and that he married Flora Isabella Stedmon/Stedman (1932, Q3, Dublin South, v.2, p.363).

Their son Henry J. Bovenizer (b.1937, Q1, Dublin South, v.2, p.401) must be the Trinity College librarian.

The older Henry (45 in 1911) was surely the Henry Shier Bovenizer whose christening is listed at http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/igi/individual_record.asp?recid=500049175978

Offline pwaldron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 April 10 10:15 BST (UK) »
There is also a Boveniger family in Dublin in the 1911 census transcriptions: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Clondalkin/Corkagh_Demesne/40604/

The handwriting is unclear, but I am sure the surname is really Bovenizer.  I have submitted a correction.

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 April 10 16:34 BST (UK) »
I came across this thread by accident. You are barking up the wrong tree. Bovenizer is a Palatine name. They came to Ireland with the Palatine settlement, mainly at Rathkeale in Co Limerick

The Irish Palatine Association is actually run by a Bovenizer
http://www.irishpalatines.org/about/name.html

I have a short write up of the Palatine refugees that came to Ireland here . It gives you the background

Contact the Irish Palatine Association, and I am sure they can help you.
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 April 10 02:17 BST (UK) »
The Bovenzier surname still exisit today in Rathkeal, Patrickswell, Ardagh and the suburbs of Limerick city.
There is one in Bray Co Wicklow, one in Offaly and one in Dublin (aged care home)

Mike.
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

Going through Rathmines CoI Birth Register today and notice three of the children born to what looks like Harry/Henry a Labourer & Annie Bovenzier of Observatory Lane, Rathmines:-

8 Oct 1893 Annie Caroline
21 Oct 1895 Susan
28 May 1898 Robert Benjamin

Cheers

Offline Suebovenizer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 01:59 GMT (UK) »
The Henry (Harry) bovenizer you speak about is my father and moved to Wicklow in 1974 after he married Mary butler (aug 1952) I loved the stories in Mick de larribetis book myself as I had no recollection of my grandparents barney and Flo as these were both dead before I was born. I can ask my dad if he has any further information. Henry (barney) and flo had 2 other children * (1932) and * (1942). * went on to marry an o'shea and had one son and * married Jean and went on to have 2 sons and a daughter. I am also an only girl and have 2 brothers 

Moderator Note : Details of possible living people removed as per RootsChat privacy policy.