Author Topic: Benjamin Oliver Goldsmith - Wexford  (Read 4038 times)

Offline Bron1958

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benjamin Oliver Goldsmith - Wexford
« on: Sunday 30 August 09 15:57 BST (UK) »
I am looking for my husband's ancestor, Benjamin Oliver Goldsmith. He married in Sydney Australia in Dec 1877. No information about him on his marriage certificate and I can't find a death certificate. His daughter's birth registration and marriage tells us he was born in County Wexford about 1842.
I have come across a shipping record that says a B. Goldsmith from New Ross arrived in Sydney from Liverpool Eng. in 1877 as part of the crew, but the birthdate was 8 years later. I am wondering if this is the mysterious Benjamin. His wife died in 1903 but apart from mentioning his name, it doesn't say if he were still alive. He wasn't the informant though.

Offline Tamsin19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Oliver Goldsmith - Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 October 09 21:50 GMT (UK) »
If Benjamin was born in Wexford, you could try the Births, Marriages and Deaths at:
The Registration Office,
Community Care Centre,
Grogan's Road,
Wexford
Ireland

Tel: (00353)05323522. Note: the 00353 is the dialing code from the UK.

Bear in mind that as it's an older date, they might come up empty, but they may be able to give you contact details for someone else who could help - perhaps church and other parish records if you ask. Have you checked/contacted the National Archives of Australia with regards to the death certificate (http://www.naa.gov.au/)?
Good luck!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 October 09 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births in Ireland began 1864 so there will be no birth certificate for Benjamin -the address given in the post above will not have any record of his birth. You need to search church records (if they exist) for a baptism.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Tamsin19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 October 09 21:59 GMT (UK) »
My apologies about the above - I didn't realise about the cut-off date. They may still be able to point out the right direction for who to call regarding parish records, as when I called with general questions, they were very helpful.
All the best.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 08:39 GMT (UK) »
There are a few Goldsmith entries in Co. Wexford on Griffiths dated 1853 that may be worth checking into :

http://www.rootschat.com/links/07d3/

They seem to be in the Gorey area, which is about 60km from New Ross. Do you know Benjamin's religion ?

unfortunately no Co. Wexford parish records are available on line at the moment, but there are a few small extracts on various websites.

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I think that today you will find that many of the Goldsmiths live in the Killinick area of County Wexford.