Author Topic: Day trip to Where?  (Read 16120 times)

Offline Charlie Bucket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Day trip to Where?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 19 September 09 08:57 BST (UK) »
A great photo and a fascinating post.

Charlie
BURGESS (West Somerset)
TAKLE (West Somerset and Bristol)
QUICK (West Somerset)
STEAR/STEER (West Somerset)
KEEFE (Tipperary; Victoria, Australia; New Zealand)

Online Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 19 September 09 11:25 BST (UK) »
There could possibly be other charabancs out of shot........ With the men dressed so smartly I think they will all be going to where-ever it is they are going. I Find the chap hanging onto the side of the vehicle with his hand on the shoulder of the man in front of him interesting. I wonder what their connection was. I also wonder if he is squeezing the lady's leg out of shot and that is why she doesn't look amused :o Only kidding.

I think they have been taken to the railway station and that the train in the picture is chartered for their trip. No way of knowing for sure though.

Do you know what your families occupations were. Where I grew up in a mining town Miners Welfare had annual trips and social events on a regular basis with their own park and band stand.

It is interesting to speculate, but frustrating not to know for sure :(

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 19 September 09 11:37 BST (UK) »
I think the badges are significant and agree with Philip, if it's not just for the mothers, then it is some sort of union outing and the chaps in the front where the organisers, hence their prominence in the photo. 

I did also think there could be other vehicles of camera as well but do you think they would travel women and childnre in one, men in the other, possibly I suppose (rather sexist!!  ;D).

Obviously mining union/society outing would be a good a bet for Wales.  It would be great if Trish does know their occupations.

Caroline

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Online Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 19 September 09 11:38 BST (UK) »
That steam engine is still bugging me. Henry7's comment about the splashers is interesting, so I did a bit more digging and came across a postcard with and engine with tanks and splasher on the Brecon line. Does it look more promising and if so what type of engine is it?

Very first image here;

http://www.craigynoscastle.com/walks/history/railway.htm

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Online Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 19 September 09 11:42 BST (UK) »
I doubt there would have been different buses for men and for women, I am very sure that family groups and couples would have sat together, it is just that the pose for the image allows the women and children to sit (good manners and etiquette) and the men have grouped up in front, all for the benefit of the photo to be taken.

Philip

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 19 September 09 11:56 BST (UK) »
If that's the case, then you obviously there are more vehicles.

What sort of train takes passengers up Mt Snowdon??

Caroline
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Online Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 19 September 09 12:02 BST (UK) »
I hope I have cracked it! I think the engine is a GWR 0-4-2 tank as per picture at this link. Common little engines.

See what you think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Brsince78_side_tank_2575.jpg

Perspective makes it a little difficult in the B & W photo.

Philip

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 19 September 09 12:16 BST (UK) »
Could it be that the lapel badges are WW1 wound badges? The chap with the eye patch has one.

James

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 19 September 09 12:37 BST (UK) »
Sadly there isn't any detail to be able to enlarge the badges, but they could be Silver War Badges.

Caroline