Author Topic: Browne & Bushell - Strokestown c.  (Read 12893 times)

Offline Tu2Tu

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Browne & Bushell - Strokestown c.
« on: Monday 31 August 09 00:52 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on

Martin Browne & Ann Bushell who married possibly in or around Strokestown in Co. Roscommon

They had a son John Browne b. c. 1857

Many thanks

Scotland:  Browne, Glancey, McGuire, Mitchell
Ireland:    Bruen, Bushell, Cunnane, Devaney, Ffrench, Gallacher, Glancey, Hart,
                 Hughes, Kilgallon, Mahon, Meechan, Moore, Moran, McGowan,
                 Reddy, O'Conor, O'Hara, Crean-Lynch, Plunkett
England:   Browne, Devaney, Glancey, Crean-Lynch, Kilgallon
USA:         Devaney, McGowan, Bruen, Kilgallon, Hart
Australia:  O'Hara, Browne

Offline crashbangwollop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Browne & Bushell - Strokestown c.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Tu2Tu,

My great great grandfather John Bushell was from Behy in Strokestown Co Roscommon...
I am currently doing some research on my ancestors and stumbled upon your post. I don't know if I can help much yet though, I think you've got further back than I have so far... Do you know of any siblings Ann Bushell had? I'd appreciate any info you had, and of course I will oblige likewise.

Regards

Offline Tu2Tu

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Crashbangwallop,

My great great grandfather John Bushell was from Behy in Strokestown Co Roscommon...

Delighted to hear from you.  Its been a lonely road with these Bushell's.  Do any of the following husband/wife mean anything to you?

Patrick & Ethel Bushell - Patrick born 1836

Joseph & Mertle Eleanor Bushell - Joseph born 1854

Patrick and Hanora Bushell - Patrick born 1846

Mary Bushell widow- born 1823

Thomas Bushell  - born 1839

All born Co. Roscommon.

My Anne Bushell married into the Brownes and had one son John.  She married a second time when her first husband died, but from what I can make out she didnt return to Co. Roscommon. 

Tu
Ireland:    Bruen, Bushell, Cunnane, Devaney, Ffrench, Gallacher, Glancey, Hart,

Offline crashbangwollop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Tu,

From what my father tells me, there were a couple of Bushell families in Roscommon from different regions. But Behy, Strokestown is certainly where ours starts out. Most of those names do look very familiar. I shall contact dad and see what he says. As I've only started to research the old family tree, I have limited info so far...

e-mail me on (*)

Talk to you soon

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Tu2Tu

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 17:08 BST (UK) »
I see you are very new to roots chat will email more Bushell info

Tu

Offline TheBluePearl

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • So many brick walls - should have been a builder!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 June 10 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Tu2Tu,

I am researching my BUSHELL ancestors and noticed the following names on your post;

Joseph & Mertle Eleanor Bushell - Joseph born 1854.

My Great Grandmother Margaret BUSHELL (1866 - 1949) had an older brother called Joseph BUSHELL (c.1852-1928)

Their parents were William BUSHELL and Lucy DALY. The whole family came from Cleen and Tullyval, Boyle, Roscommon.

Joseph BUSHELL married Martha Eleanor (?) around 1903. Martha was from Dublin.

They had twins Margaret Mary BUSHELL and William Hubert (Herbert) BUSHELL in 1904 in Roscommon.

They are listed on the 1911 census living in Tullyval, Roscommon.

I know Margaret Mary BUSHELL became a nurse in around 1926 (according to a family letter) and I think she may have married an Albert Edward TAYLOR in Roscommon in 1954.

Do you have any more information on this branch of the BUSHELL family, or are you looking for information yourself?

I am happy to share any information I have too.

Kind regards, Clare

Ireland: GILLMAN, SHEERAN, BUSHELL, CURRAN, DALY, MORRISSEY, KILEY
Switzerland: GIRADIER, ZWAHLEN
England: HALL, SPENCER, CHESHIRE, ROWBOTTOM

Offline Tu2Tu

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 June 10 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Clare,

Im afraid I dont have any more information on your Bushells, and I am trying to locate a birth or marriage of Anne & Martin, so far without success.  The Bushells I listed in my earlier post are all taken from the 1901 and 1911 census, but born in Co. Roscommon, and living in Ireland at that time.

As there are so few throughout Ireland - 63 to be exact in 1901 I suspect there is a close relationship to all but particularly those who lived within a stones throw of each other in Co. Roscommon.

My interest is with Anne Bushell who married a Martin Browne some time in the late 1840's or early 1850's.  As there is no census information for that time Im going on Church records to try and piece it together.  The information handed down to me was that they were living in Strokestown, Co. Roscommon.  This may or may not be true.  There is no record of them in Strokestown - but pockets of the records are missing from around this time. 

There is every possability that your William and my Anna were related - but how, I do not know !!

I see your William was 81 in 1901 - giving him a birth year of about 1820, and his wife Lucy was 80.  Thats around the same era as my Anna, but her father was Michael Bushell.  You may be able to get a marriage record for William & Lucy, have you tried?

Would you know where William was baptised by any chance?

Crashbangwallop has started a database on the Bushells, so I will copy him with your information and see if it fits in yet!

I will PM you with my email address and hopefully we can work together to connect the Bushells and find out more about them in the process  :D.

Tu.

Offline TheBluePearl

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • So many brick walls - should have been a builder!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 June 10 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Tu,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not familiar with any of the names in your research at the moment. I did come across a Michael Bushell on Familysearch website who married an Anna Cuff in 1828 and they appear to have had at least 3 children; Mariam 1839, Michael 1834 (above) and Terentius 1838. Are these your Anna's parents?

I have not obtained any certificates for my irish ancestors as I do not know how to order marriage certificates from Ireland as I am new to Irish research, so any advice on that front would be much appreciated!

I have no idea where William Bushell was baptised as I am unable to find any record of his birth.

I, too, have been in touch with Crashbangwallop aswell, and we think that our two Bushell families may be related.

Have received your PM, so am happy to communicate with you that way if you wish.

Kind regards, Clare

Ireland: GILLMAN, SHEERAN, BUSHELL, CURRAN, DALY, MORRISSEY, KILEY
Switzerland: GIRADIER, ZWAHLEN
England: HALL, SPENCER, CHESHIRE, ROWBOTTOM

Offline Tu2Tu

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 June 10 01:11 BST (UK) »
GR8 looking forward to it. 

Unable to confirm if these are Annas parents as she only lists her father on her 2nd marriage record, and I cant find a first marriage record - yet.  By the time she got married the second time she was not living in co. roscommon.

The state records for births in ireland only go back to 1865.  Anything before this time, officially, has to come from the Baptisimal records from the local church where the child was baptised.  I say officially, because there are records prior to 1865 available, but depending on the location, as it became law to register all births after 1865 in Ireland.  It has been my experience that church records go back further than 1865, in one case I have been very fortunate to get records from 1818 which has been a fantastic resource.  The information is very sketchy at this time, and just gives a date, and names of parents and child usually - but a lot depended on the particular church, and probably whoever was keeping the records.

http://www.groireland.ie/ should be able to get you copies of BMD certs in Ireland if you have a rough idea of the dates.  The fees that they quote are what I have paid at my local centre.  I will be taking note of any Bushell registrations, so if I get anything that matches with yours I will let you know.   Did you have a look at pilot family search ?

Tu