Author Topic: Browne & Bushell - Strokestown c.  (Read 12892 times)

Offline TheBluePearl

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • So many brick walls - should have been a builder!
    • View Profile
Re: Browne & Bushell - Strokestown c.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 June 10 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Tu,

Have sent you a PM on here and one via my Yahoo email address.

As the marriage between Willaim Bushell and Lucy Daly was in 1845 I am assuming I will be unable to obtain any record of this from the GRO. They married in "Roman Catholic, Ardcarn and Tuamna" which I think could be Cootehall Church so perhaps I ought to be writing to someone there?

I used Familysearch for years then when the pilot seach was created I started using that too - it is absolutely fantastic. The LDS really have helped me with my tree.

Keep in touch, Clare
Ireland: GILLMAN, SHEERAN, BUSHELL, CURRAN, DALY, MORRISSEY, KILEY
Switzerland: GIRADIER, ZWAHLEN
England: HALL, SPENCER, CHESHIRE, ROWBOTTOM

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Browne & Bushell - Strokestown c.
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 June 10 10:42 BST (UK) »
The state records for births in ireland only go back to 1865.  Anything before this time, officially, has to come from the Baptisimal records from the local church where the child was baptised.  I say officially, because there are records prior to 1865 available, but depending on the location, as it became law to register all births after 1865 in Ireland.  It has been my experience that church records go back further than 1865, in one case I have been very fortunate to get records from 1818 which has been a fantastic resource. 
Civil registration of births (and deaths) in Ireland actually began in 1864 and was made compulsory in 1870. Before 1864 there will be no civil birth certificates.
Civil registration of Catholic marriages also started in 1864 but registration of non-catholic marriages, including those in a registry office, started earlier in 1845.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!