Author Topic: County Asylum Bridgend  (Read 2888 times)

Offline eaw52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
County Asylum Bridgend
« on: Monday 31 August 09 04:59 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information about this asylum? I have an ancestor have all her children there. The name is Margaret Martill/Martell/Marttil formerly Hughes. Her husband was John Martill/Martell/Marttil. The child I am tracing is their daughter Gladys/Gwladys born 9 March 1897. There were apparently another nine children born there from those parents. Any help would be appreciated.
Ellenor

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: County Asylum Bridgend
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 August 09 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hello ,
The hospital was originally called Angelton in Bridgend and opened in November 1864.
It changed its name to Parc Gwyllt in 1887.
Then became Glamorgan Mental Hospital in 1889.
In 1934 became Penyfai Hospital.

The only remaining original building is Glanrhyd Hospital partof the original building in 1864.

I visited this building twice at various times its typical of the time of build.

Hope this helps
Heddwch
Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline eaw52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 August 09 22:56 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the reply. Would you know if there were any records still available and where I would find them?
Ellenor

Offline pedroparker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 September 09 11:44 BST (UK) »
hi eaw52,

i think people are still admitted to a part of the building, it is still open as Glanrhyd as heddwch said :).

yes records are available :) my dad's g gran and another family member were there, and he and his cousin managed to get their records and a photo a few months back. I would however prepare you that some of the stories are quite sad, as they were in our case.

I believe they phoned and wrote to Bridgend archives/council and they directed them from there, i'm sorry I don't have any contact details for you to hand, I will try and find out from my dad's cousin to see if she has some.

p.s. I will pm you some info you may like to ad to your family history search. :)

pedro

Offline pedroparker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 September 09 13:47 BST (UK) »
hi,

Here you go :)

Address to get info you need:

GLAMORGAN RECORD OFFICE
THE GLAMORGAN BUILDING
KING EDWARD VII AVENUE
CATHAYS PARK
CARDIFF
CF10 3NE

TEL No. 02920 780282

Just explain what you need and what your looking for and they'll search for you. ;)

Good Luck

Pedro

Offline Anitag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 November 19 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ellenor,  John Marttil and Margaret nee Hughes were definitely my relatives. My great grandmother was Mary Marttil who married William Hughes. I heard that brother and sister from Marttil family married brother and sister from Hughes family. They lived near Maesteg.   I remember hearing that Gladys was adopted, moved to Canada and had a son called Spencer.

Offline Anitag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 December 19 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ellenor,   Did you get my message about Gladys?  I am also interested if you have any information on the Marttil/Martell family and the Hughes family from Bryn near Maesteg.  Regards Anita

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 January 20 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Saw this info on the line...thai was my mothers and my own Dr. He was a fantastic caring compassionate person, How sad he passed on at such a young age.
DR MARSHALL WILFRED ANNEAR: Consultant Psychiatrist, Psychiatric Postgraduate Centre, Morgannwg Hospital, Bridgend, Mid Glamorgan, Wales. Dr Marshall Wilfred Annear, MRCS, LRCP, FRC Psych, DPM (Eng). DPM (Brist). died on 28 July 1985, at the age of 67 after a very brief illness. He was a staunch supporter of the College and joined the RMPA in 1942, serving on its Education Committee and on the Films Subcommittee as Vice-Chairman. Later he became a member of the College Council, the Programmes and Meetings Committee, the Nursing Subcommittee, the Psychiatric Tutors Sub committee, the Audio-Visual Aids Group, and the Central Approval Panel. He was an examiner for the Membership.
In Wales he had served as Chairman of the Welsh Division and as Approved Panel Convenor. His first psychiatric post was at St Andrew’s, Northampton, and from there he was called up to see active service as an RAMC Captain in North Africa and Italy. He had a special interest in the emergency treatment of battle neuroses. He concluded his Army service in 1947 as Area Psychiatrist for North-East England.
Back in Wales he had a spell as Senior Psychiatrist at Whitchurch Hospital, Cardiff, before joining the staff of Morgannwg Hospital, Bridgend, in 1951. He became Medical Superintendent of Morgannwg and brought his great energy to bear on the revamping of that large institution, in keeping with the revolution in mental hospital practice just beginning.
Dr Annear’s most enduring professional monument, however, shines in his prodigious efforts in the field of postgraduate education in psychiatry. He became Postgraduate Organiser and Psychiatric Tutor at Morgannwg and built up a magnificent Centre and a series of courses to meet the needs both of young psychiatrists and of general practitioners. All this he achieved in the face of many difficulties, but his enthusiasm and zeal prevailed and very many doctors owe a great debt to his devotion. Even after his retirement from consultant practice he continued to work as Tutor until his death.
Marshall was greatly respected in the Principality as a psychiatrist and for his personate qualities. He was Chairman of the Welsh Psychiatric Society, Chairman of the Mid Glamorgan division of the BMA, President of Barry MIND, and psychiatric adviser to the Penarth Pastoral Foundation.
His wife Doreen (also a doctor) and he were keen travellers and visited most parts of the globe bringing back a fund of stories and pictures. Marshall had a great interest in books, especially concerning the historical aspects of medicine and psychiatry, and was a Chairman of the History of Medicine Society of Wales. He is survived by his devoted wife and companion, by two sons (both consultant psychiatrists), and by a daughter, who as a nurse and social worker has worked in the psychiatric field.
After his death, his name was placed on The Royal Society of Medicine Wall of Honour by Dr. John Annear and is displayed as follows:
DR MARSHALL WILFRED ANNEAR FRCPSYCH (1917 – 1985) HONOURED BY DR JOHN ANNEAR.
In 1962, Glanrhyd Hospital suffered an outbreak of ‘Smallpox’, when a 75-year-old patient collapsed with what were originally thought to be signs of pneumonia. A week later the patient died, but it was later still before it was concluded that the smallpox virus had killed her – she was the first victim out of the 13 patients who had died from the outbreak. It was reported that her body was sewn up in sheets and a blanket before being passed through the door to staff on the outside.
Came from Cadoxton S. Wales. Moved to England in 1966.
Moved to Florida in 1970
Moved and settled in Toronto in 1971
I have been married for over 40 years and we have 2 wonderful boys and one granddaughter
Surnames....Price, Evon, Shatten, Lee, Riley, Burton, Ayres, Smith, Loveridge, Rafferty,

Offline Anitag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 January 21 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ellenor,   If you message back I have some info about Gladys.   The Martell and Hughes families you mentioned were my relatives . It turns out Gladys was adopted into her uncle William Martell’s family.  Best Wishes Anita