Author Topic: Maybe A Daft Question But...  (Read 28394 times)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Maybe A Daft Question But...
« on: Monday 31 August 09 18:41 BST (UK) »
When doing a ONS do you include the name of spouses (who presumably do not have the same name)?
What about the children of females (presuming the woman married a man with a different surname then the children would have his name) - are they excluded completely? Or are offspring included for a single generation?

WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe A Daft Question But...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 17:50 BST (UK) »
Certainly not a daft question Kia, the honest answer is that I don't know! However I have considered a one name study of my surname for many years, and if I go ahead I shall certainly include them. Reason at a FHS society lecture a few years ago the lecturer showed that people often marry out of a family in one generation, and their children or grandchildren marry back into the same family a generation (or two) later. Including them would make this type of tracing easier I feel.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 23:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks =)
This is probably one of those "it depends on what you chose" scenarios.
From the number of views I guess there's quite a few other people don't know either.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hopefully this brief exchange may draw a response, but since your post is 17 hours old now, and mine almost 23 I think this is unlikely.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 23:57 BST (UK) »
It comes down to answering the simple question of what are you trying to achieve by doing a one name study.  Once you have clarified your own objectives then the answer to your question should be obvious.

If you want to do a study which meets the basic requirements of the Guild of One Name Studies then you obviously need to conform to those requirements.  I am not sure what these are now because there is little point today in meeting their original requirements like listing all the people with the specific surname in the GRO indexes.  Now that these are easily accessible on-line there is little point.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 17:41 BST (UK) »
.................... I am not sure what these are now because there is little point today in meeting their original requirements like listing all the people with the specific surname in the GRO indexes.  Now that these are easily accessible on-line there is little point.

David

If (like me) a researcher doesn't have a subscription to the sites with the GRO index then there is a point. There are also several instances in my research that have shown the GRO index (and GRO certs) to have substantially different information to locally issued certs (which are scans of the original register). I also have several instances of certs from local offices that never made it as far as the GRO index.

My preference for spouse recording is to include them simply to easily identify them more easily in the death index and numerous headstone images. In addition without them the name would have vanished.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 18:40 BST (UK) »
With you Glen, After all the information on the GRO index is a copy of a copy of a copy (at least) particularly in the early period. Anything that is copied is liable to error, more so in the pre electronic age.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 22:24 BST (UK) »
To me the point of a one name study is to go beyond what can easily be found in the GRO indexes.  While I accept that there will be some errors in them, there doesn't seem to be much point in reproducing them.

What is much more useful is to gather together all the other information from the various sources which contain small pieces of information and where possible associate it with families.  This means that information prior to 1837 should take priority together with details available only in the various archives and libraries.

The information from the GRO and censuses can then be used to link this together.  I always have sites like freebmd to refer to when I want details of individuals.

Ten years ago my own worldwide Edlin information consisted of a huge card index with very little linking into individual families.  In recent years I have managed to pull about half of that information together into four main families.  I also have a number of smaller family groups of about three generations, some of them as old as the 15th century.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 16:56 BST (UK) »
See reply No.3 above, incredibly this post has re-ignited almost exactly one year later!