Author Topic: LIDDELL of Bodmin  (Read 30347 times)

Offline bcharles4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LIDDELL of Bodmin
« on: Monday 31 August 09 19:47 BST (UK) »
Has anybody done any work on the Liddells of Bodmin?

I am just starting to map them out and would like to avoid duplicating somebody else's work

BC

Offline bcharles4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Liddells of Bodmin
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 August 09 19:50 BST (UK) »
I've just found a mention under the Martyn family topic.  Is dmollison there?

Offline bcharles4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LIDDELL of Bodmin
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 September 09 16:51 BST (UK) »
I have now mapped out the Liddells back to James Liddell born 1765 who appears to be the first to come to Cornwall (in the 1780s).  He appears to have come from Lancashire (see below).  Anybody know anything about Liddells there?

Best wishes
Barrie

The Royal Cornwall Gazette of 22 August 1889 has a long obituary on James' son Commander James Liddell.  Here is an extract:

‘His father was a native of Lancashire, but Commander Liddell was born at Bodmin, his parents having settled in Cornwall in the closing decade of the last century.’

This article is of course a hundred or so years after James Liddell came to Cornwall and presumably relies on information from relations of James junior, so we can't be sure that it's correct.  In addition his mother Mary was Cornish, so the article got it at least slightly wrong.  However, this information would appear to be all that we have concrete to go on so far.

The IGI reveals that there were Liddells in Lancashire at the appropriate date, but I cannot find a suitable birth of a James around 1765.  It's a mystery why he went to Cornwall.  Presumably he would have been apprenticed to a printer to learn his trade.  But whereso, in Manchester or Liverpool perhaps, or maybe in Exeter, Plymouth or Truro?  I wonder if the connection with the Martyns came first.  Are there any Printers in that family?

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 October 09 22:11 BST (UK) »
There are numerous mentions of James Liddell, Bodmin in the Exeter newspapers from the turn of the 19th century, mostly in adverts for pills and lotions, his name or himself endorsing same.

He also appears as being a person who paid Fire Insurance.

The Manchester Times has the announcement of his death:
Manchester Times  Saturday, August 24, 1889
Liddell: on the 15th inst., at Castle Street, Bodmin, James Liddell, commander R. N. for many years  captain of the Wellington, aged 91

Following on from this there are around 19 entries for The Wellington on the run to Madras with Captain Liddell, from around 1833 onwards

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 October 09 22:26 BST (UK) »
I added this resource on the India resources site-it's worth a visit again if you want to see the entries for Captain Liddell. Just put Liddell, Madras.

Allen's Indian Mail, and Register of Intelligence for British and Foreign India, China and all parts of the East.

http://books.google.co.nz/books?q=editions:OCLC12933469&id=wbUOAAAAQAAJ&sou

There are volumes for   1845, 1846, 1847, 1848, 1849, 1850, 1851, 1852, 1856, all searchable, very addictive.

Tom

Offline bcharles4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 October 09 09:22 BST (UK) »
Tom

I am most interested in Capt Liddell's father, James Liddell.  Do you think that the entry in the Manchester newspaper is an indication that his father came from that town?

Also, the mentions in the Exeter newspapers, would they be to father or son?  If the father, which titles?

Thanks for your help,
Barrie  :)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 October 09 10:20 BST (UK) »
The fact that a Cornish death was copied to a Manchester newspaper, who took the trouble both to report it and give an obituary would indicate to me that there certainly was a Liddell connection in Lancashire. Very often I have found that such deaths when reported were accompanied by a comment (copy to Manchester newspapers)

Certainly the Liddell mentions in the early 1800's just say Liddell Bodmin, it would appear that he owned a shop in Bodmin:

This is the entry:

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post  Thursday, March 6, 1800
To be had of R. Trewman and Son Exeter, NATIONAL MAGAZINE (on an enlarged plan)

On Saturday next, the 1st of March will be published Price one shilling.

The Naval magazine, for February, 1800, containing twenty-four pages of Letter- Press extraordinary; and embellished with an elegant portrait of earl St. Vincent, K.B, engraved by GRANGER, from a picture by ABBOT.
This truly Magazine comprehends a compleat naval history of Great Britain………….etc

Printed for Harrison, Cluse and Co no. 78, Fleet-st, and sold by Trewman and Co, Exeter, Haydon, Plymouth; Syle, Barnstaple;Hoxland or Congdon, Plymouth-dock;Jackson, Dartmouth; Handford or Manning, Bideford; Huxtable, Southmolton; LIDDELL, BODMIN; Martin, Launceston etc, etc.

There are numerous others like it, around 160 entries, just for Bodmin.

There are other Liddell connections in Lancashire, it's just a matter of you getting access to  the database your self and putting in the Liddell surname and restricting it to Lancashire newspapers.

All that info comes from 48 British national newspapers available from gale Databases, but available online at Lancashire Library.

Yes easy-if in Uk, or abroad, go to

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/onrl/

You will see the database on the right of the screen.  You have to join the library first, yes join it as you would any other library.
Go to http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/libraries/borrower/join.asp

They send you a library ticket, with a serial number upon it and use that number to gain access. You do have to give you home address, so they can send you the library ticket. If abroad, then they send you the ticket number online. It's all explained on the website. It's very addictive.

You can also do it through Cornwall public libraries if you are a member, and others as well, but this is available to anyone online where ever they are.

Tom

Offline bcharles4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 October 09 15:37 BST (UK) »
Tom

Thanks very much for all the info and I will certainly try and get onto the database.  I live in Oxfordshire so there should be several options.  I also sometimes go to Colindale to consult their vast library of newspapers.

James Liddell senior was born around 1765 and came to Bodmin in the late 1780s to set up as a stationer, bookseller and printer.  He was certainly there by 1790, and later information speaks of 1787.  The only reference I had found to Lancashire (before your message) was in his son's obituary  100 years later.

Best wishes
Barrie

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 October 09 17:35 BST (UK) »
Barrie,

The same database shows that James Liddell was in Bodmin in 1809, as an agent for Fire Insurance. A bit later there is mention of a WH Liddell, a cadet in RN, son of Lt James Liddell, receiving an award. Any connections? This was in 1847.

Tom