Author Topic: LIDDELL of Bodmin  (Read 30345 times)

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LIDDELL of Bodmin
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 21:30 BST (UK) »
The James Liddell born in Stepney on 29? Sept 1765 doesn't seem very likely to be our JL.
[I say 29? because I have a note of 28 Sept, worked out from the christening record giving his age as 15 days at christening on 13 October.]

That would make him 73 at death on 13 July 1839, not 74 as given in the West Briton on 19 July 1839 (and his family are generally accurate in giving their ages in e.g. censuses).
His father being a carpenter, and mother unable to write her name at marriage (31 Aug 1760   St Botolph Algate, London) is of course possible, but isn't a likely background for a stationer and printer.
Thirdly, the biography of his son James, which is generally accurate, refers to his parents as being from Lancashire; now that is certainly wrong as regards his mother, Mary Martyn of St Columb Minor, but seems an unlikely mistake if he came from London.  My guess is it might be a mistake for Lanarkshire, a likely area for Liddells, whereas I can't find any Liddells from 18th C Lancashire.

Offline MichelleIlewin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 19 September 15 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there folks very interesting reading this on the Liddell's of Bodmin. My relation here is via Mary Lewin who married George Liddell born 1844 to Elias Hiscutt Liddell and Louisa Liddell nee Randolf.
If I am correct George died about 1910-1914 as he, his widow Mary, and her sisters are mentioned in shares in a railroad company (Great Western Railroad) and living in Switzerland. I would be interested in hearing from folks interested in this line too.

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 20 September 15 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, Michelle

The deaths of George, Mary and two of her sisters can all be found n the National Probate Calendar for England & Wales:

LIDDELL George of 19 Wood Vale Lordship-lane Surrey died 19 February 1914 Probate London 24 March to Mary Liddell widow and Sophia Constance Fisher Lewin spinster. Effects £ 2088 14s. 10d.

George died at the same address where he was living in the 1911 census:
that census describes him as Paymaster-in-chief, RN, retired.

Sophia Constance Fisher Lewin d 7 Mar 1927, of Villa Violetta Territet Switzerland
Probate to Annie Blanche Lewin spinster. Effects £ 1109 3s. 4d. in England

ABL d 29 Mar 1942 aged 78 in Cornwall - "of Trevone & Montreux, Switzerland".
Sophia CF Lewin and Blanche L Lewin can be found with Mary and their parents in the 1871 census. They were born in 1859 and 1863  resp., so a lot younger than Mary.

Mary Liddell widow d 2 Dec 1929, of Villa Violetta etc. Probate to Julia Ada Olver spinster and Eliza Mapson Wintringham (wife of John Fildes Wintringham).  Effects £ 2761 11s. 5d.  Resworn £ 3056 4s. 4d.

I'll leave you to find out who Julia Ada Olver & Eliza Mapson Wintringham were!

Offline MichelleIlewin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 20 September 15 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi dmollison,
thanks for the reply and the extra data on Mary Liddell, Sophia C. F. Lewin, and Annie Blanche Lewin, it is very much appreciated. Mary Sophia and Annie are my great grandfathers sisters. There were 11 children in the family.
Julia Ada Olver spinster was born in Plymouth Devon (as were the 3 sisters named above).
Eliza Mapson Wintringham (wife of John Fildes Wintringham). has an interesting family and whom were involved in the Spanish War, with correspondence going back and forward.
http://www.kingscollections.org/catalogues/lhcma/collection/w/wi95-001/wi95-01

I will look more in to these later
Michelle

Offline newsue92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 19 March 16 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Some of you have asked for a photo of the obelisk, the churchyard has been cleared so here it is, not very clear, but I can take more (I live close by) but does anyone know, why William Henry Liddell Captain RN is on here too, out of all the relations? Or did Williams family erect this, adding the grandparents?

Offline newsue92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 19 March 16 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Another one, oops look the same!

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 19 March 16 18:24 GMT (UK) »
The obelisk photo is tantalising - I just can't read the top part.  Can you provide a transcription?

Thanks, Denis

Offline newsue92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 19 March 16 18:46 GMT (UK) »
It's very faded, it seems to say William Henry Liddell Captain RN born 30th april 1833 died probably 1880, but will look tomorrow in the daylight. He is reported as dying suddenly in the royal Cornwall gazette, do you know how or why? I cant see his name in the burial records for 1880 in Bodmin.

Offline newsue92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 19 March 16 21:18 GMT (UK) »
You may also now there is an exhibit to James Liddell 1798-1889 in Bodmin Museum and page about the family in Bill Johnsons book Life in Victorian Bodmin