Author Topic: How can I search the census street by street (Ancestry)?  (Read 29009 times)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
How can I search the census street by street (Ancestry)?
« on: Monday 31 August 09 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,

:)

I have an Ancestry subscription and I was wondering if it is possible to search the census street by street instead of searching by name and dob?

If it is possible, can you tell me how?

Thank you.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How can I search the census street by street (Ancestry)?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 August 09 23:43 BST (UK) »
I have been successful by keying in the name of the street into the 'keywords' box. sometimes I've had to juggle about a bit - with Rd or Road etc. I have managed to find most of the addresses I've been looking for that way. However, if there may be an easier way - if so, I'd like to learn about it, too!
Lesley

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 00:00 BST (UK) »
Another way is much more laborious, but I have done it a few times. On the main search page click on UK census on the right hand side of the page, then in the search box enter the census year, scroll down to county, then town, and go through the enumeration pages for the town, which list the streets in order of enumeration. When you find the right enumeration district description, go back and click on the number next to it, and work your way through it to find your street.
Note, 1841 census rarely has streets listed on the enumeration page.

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 08:46 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 09:25 BST (UK) »
That's one of the strong points of The Genealogist - it has much better transcription and better census searches.  You can search censuses from 1841 to 1901 by address, and also by keywords.  I had a lot of ancestors in the Eltham, Kent area in the 1800's, and also having a common surname, it's hard to tell which ones are family, and which are not, (and ones which are, who I haven't identified yet !).  So this weekend I used the census search on The Genealogist to compile a spread sheet of all people born in Eltham with my surname, and made notes of who might be related to whom.  One unexpected bonus was that the search found quite a few people working away from their home town.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 09:28 BST (UK) »
Findmypast is catching up too, address searches easy on there for all censuses, when they have the full 1851 it will be better - but Luzzu has an ancestry sub and was wanting to know how to search on there I think

`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.  I will have a go but it seems a street by street search on Ancestry is not straight forward then  ???.

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 22:35 BST (UK) »
Well you can use the excellent site that Stan gave the links to, when you find the street it will have the full census reference number listed - just enter that reference number at the bottom of the search box on ancestry
(much easier than the way I suggested, I must admit!)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 08:40 BST (UK) »
All genealogy research sites have their strengths and weaknesses.  Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a single site which has all the really useful bits under one roof.  I have to say that if I could only choose one to use, it would be Ancestry.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.