Author Topic: SHERRIFF family,Warks,Notts,Staffs,Derby  (Read 21855 times)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SHERRIFF family,Warks,Notts,Staffs,Derby
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I know this post hasn't been commented on in quite a few years but I stumbled across this forum and seeing as I am completely stumped thought perhaps someone would be able to help?

I was  Sherriff before I got married and although my family tree has so far been based in Scotland I'm now stuck with the Sherriff line around the 1800's and cant seem to get any further back!  I'm assuming that as Sherriff (especially the way it's spelt) is unusual, perhaps my family originated in England and moved to Scotland?

My last known record is of a James Sherriff (1818 - 1873?) who married a Katherine Westwater in 1846 - they were based in Fife.  I have James father also as James Sherriff marrying a Janet Wishart but I can't get any further - no dates, nothing.

Any help would be majorly appreciated & if I'm thinking along the wrong lines just let me know. 

Thanks, Aimie

My ancestors were from the same area, Dysart, Fife.  There were Romani in Fife but they used local surnames sometimes too, so you could not say the surname Sherriff is exculsive to Romany. The name Sherriff started in England amongst the English and the spelling is all over the place.  My earliest ancestor in Fife was married in 1667. To go back beyond the records at Scotlandspeople and the family search records I looked at old newspapers and asked for local help. With the brides surnames you mention I would start a thread in the Fife section of Rootschat.
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Bax85

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHERRIFF family,Warks,Notts,Staffs,Derby
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Whiteout7 - thanks for your reply, I'll give that a go!

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.