Author Topic: SHERRIFF family,Warks,Notts,Staffs,Derby  (Read 33616 times)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SHERRIFF family,Warks,Notts,Staffs,Derby
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I know this post hasn't been commented on in quite a few years but I stumbled across this forum and seeing as I am completely stumped thought perhaps someone would be able to help?

I was  Sherriff before I got married and although my family tree has so far been based in Scotland I'm now stuck with the Sherriff line around the 1800's and cant seem to get any further back!  I'm assuming that as Sherriff (especially the way it's spelt) is unusual, perhaps my family originated in England and moved to Scotland?

My last known record is of a James Sherriff (1818 - 1873?) who married a Katherine Westwater in 1846 - they were based in Fife.  I have James father also as James Sherriff marrying a Janet Wishart but I can't get any further - no dates, nothing.

Any help would be majorly appreciated & if I'm thinking along the wrong lines just let me know. 

Thanks, Aimie

My ancestors were from the same area, Dysart, Fife.  There were Romani in Fife but they used local surnames sometimes too, so you could not say the surname Sherriff is exculsive to Romany. The name Sherriff started in England amongst the English and the spelling is all over the place.  My earliest ancestor in Fife was married in 1667. To go back beyond the records at Scotlandspeople and the family search records I looked at old newspapers and asked for local help. With the brides surnames you mention I would start a thread in the Fife section of Rootschat.
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Bax85

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Whiteout7 - thanks for your reply, I'll give that a go!

Offline Victoria82

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 14 August 20 00:22 BST (UK) »
Hi there, Abraham sherriff was my great,  grandad. His son Arthur was my great grandad and his daughter Rose was my nan.

Offline harrihan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 26 November 21 21:34 GMT (UK) »
hi my grandad and grandma  was Alfred sherriff and Emily smith had three sons peter George and Kenneth all past
i am George son Clive
they went round with smiths fair grandad running the .22 shooting dad coconut shy mum ball in the goldfish bowl before i was born
grandparents did live in a bus at rickmans corner overseal  and i did go on the fruit picking  they all so made pegs and grandma use to go round selling them in later life she when into a home in midway and grandad i think stayed with Kenneth for more info please contact

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 02 December 21 17:46 GMT (UK) »
This is a reply to page one post one on this thread

Hi all,i wondered if anyone was related to the Sherriff family from Warks & surrounding areas?My family line goes Reginald Sherriff B:1921 Warks...Matthew Sherriff B:1880 staffs m Annie Morgan 1900 Warks...Abraham Sherriff 1851 Chester m Delilah Smith 1850...William Sherriff 1814 Redditch m Mary Ann Tracey Boswell 1806 Leicestershire...Edward Sherriff abt 1779 m Mary Hart ...George Sherriff m Susannah Palmer....

Any info is greatly apprechiated!!
Thanks for reading.
Shaz :O)

Hi Susan is a far distand Cousin to me we both share fragments of ancient dna, Susan's father was Reginald Harold Sherriff 1921–1993 Nuneaton Warwickshire r.i.p who's father was Matthew Sherriff 1880–1950 Burton upon Trent Staffordshire who's father was  Abraham Sheriff 1849–1925 Alsager, Yorkshire, who's father was William Sherriff  1812–1891 Redditch, Warwickshire, it looks like William may have come down from Edward Sherriff 1780William's wife was Mary Ann Tracy Boswell, 1799–1897 Loughborough, Leicestershire, Abrahams wife was Deliah Smith 1850–1930, Delilahs mother and father were Priscilla Smith 1824– Belper, Derbyshire, and Frederick Heap 1826–Snelston, Derbyshire, Reginald's mother was Annie MORGAN 19011-972 Alcester Warwickshire

Susan shares 44 dna matches with me who all descend down from the old Gipsy's, this is in the 1st to 6th range, there are old family names within the stated 44 such as the Holmes Lovell's Lees Wharton's Boswells Gray Smiths Young Adams Jeffery Anderson's Love Stanley  plus many more, there will be many more at the 8th range, these only show up when you click on their individual names, there will be far more in the 6th to 8th range but you must hunt them down in a individual way for ancestry only bring together your shared clusters from 1st to 6th in the Cousin sequence

I also share dna with a male who descends down through the Booths on his male side his father is Hope Booth 1911-1958 r.i.p who's parents were Ephraim Booth 1884–1963 and Matilda Sheriff 1886– who is my matches grandmother, Ephraim Booths parents were Henry Booth 1864 - and  Elizabeth Boyling 1864–1950, Henry Booths parents were Ephraim Clayton/Booth 1841–1910 and Diana/Dinah Booth 1836Elizabeth Boyling 1864–1950 parents were Absalom  Boyling 1816-and Rebbecca Booth 1823–1888

Now back to Hope Booth 1911-1958 r.i.p  well Hopes mother was Matilda Sheriff 1886– Matilda's  parents are Hope Sheriff 1855–1934 and Trinity Boyling 1860-1937 Hope Sheriffs  parents were 
William Sheriff 1812–1891 and Mary Ann Tracey Boswell 1805–1897 Aka Tresi Boss descended from Haniel Bosswell 1583, Trinity Boyling 1860-1937 parents were also Absalom  Boyling 1816- and Rebbecca Booth 1823–1888.

So it looks like these Sherriffs descend from the same family to which Susan's Sherriffs family come down from, Abraham and Hope must both be sons of William and Mary Ann there is also a mentioned Elizabeth Sherriff 1725–Sutton In Ashfield Nottinghamshire on my matches tree so she may be along with the old Edward Sherriff from the 1700s  in some way or relation who may be Williams dad, Nellie Smith 1906–Sutton In Ashfield, Nottinghamshire r.i.p was the Mother of my dna match, Hope Booth 1911-1958 r.i.p was her husband, Nellie comes down through a long line of Smiths to a Jane Smith1727–1797, i do not know if these Smiths are of the Gipsy's but they are connected to family's like Thompson and Wildgoose, me and this male born with the above Sherriff ancestry both share dna with 24 dna match's with many of the names above but this time the Bucklands join this cluster.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 02 December 21 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,sorry iv not been on here for abit.Iv kinda run out of steam on the Sherriff tree at the moment so been havin a break from it.
Garen,i think it was my uncle that got in touch with you (my auntys husband Roger).You have a great website,my trees on ancestory.Great newspaper clippings,i wouldnt even know where to start.Any tips would be greatly apprechiated!!!

Julie,in the Sherriff family many of the people named there kids after their siblings,so you will find there are probaly quite afew Abrahams etc.Its just trial and error in finding the right one.As Garen said,they changed names & intermarried,anyone older was called uncle & anyone the same age was brother or sister.Also sometimes they were born in one place but not registered until in another place or sometimes the births were registered in several districts.The Romanys of yonder deffinatly didnt make it easy for us to find them etc,lol!!!
I just wish my grandad was still alive to ask.
Shaz xxx

On page three of this thread above Roger is talked about well Roger managers Susan's Ancestry page and Susan is your Aunt, dna is not talked about in this day like a family tree but before the internet i listened to people talk about the black blood, this you had to have if you was from the Romany Gipsy's, you had to have this regardless of family or lifestile, you had to be of the black blood no matter what big or small, to me this is the true meaning of what people have been talking about, its all there in the dna clusters, it is not like them old tree rings that people search out for answers about how old a tree is its not like when the scientists crush up bones and date the dust of the dead, the dna in people living will tell you if the dead are alive in you in this day, its not like the halogroups that people looks for that tell of far of placers, the black blood gets past down through generations and is kept alive as long as it is alive, if you know you know if its in you its in you, when its gone its gone, by looking for cracks in science people may fool evan themselves into thinking they open an hidden door that lets them rejoin, i do not think that this is the black blood,
the black blood is what the old Gipsy's would talk about, someone once said that the Romany in this day know who is who for they themselves would know all the old names connected to the Gipsy's through family ties that others would not know, this is how they new who was who and who had the black blood in them now in this day the dna that is within all the Gipsy descendants in this day shows them who are the people who are left from the ancient peoples, its living dna not dead crushed bones or tree rings or long gone country's, the black blood is the living dna not the dead dna, the black blood doesn't mutate it is just passed down this is the only true line of the Romany Gipsy's, it may come from your Aunt, your Uncle, your great Gran or Grandad, it will be there if its there, no Gipsy alive or dead would ever say different, it as nothing to do with being a male or female, theres no mutations no secrete line to be uncovered there is no chalice there is only whats in you, when it runs out its out and gone, if its still in you just recognise it for what it is, you may not be of the Gipsy's in this day but know as true that the dead still live in you in this day for if you still carry what was given you are truly descended from them, my Mother said to me never michael to be afraid of the dead if they come to you just be having the talk to them, never be afraid just talk to them right, well this talk i just have had is the right true talk and I'm not afraid of the dead.

michael Leahcim...... this is my Ancestry name 

I just wanted to show you this, well i am a far Cousin to this lady below named Lorraine her grand mother was Ellen Sheriff 1902–1982
who comes out of Thomas Holland there does not seam to be any more information that Lorraine knows, i think she is from the Gipsy's though for me and Lorraine both share dna with 12 people and each and every one of those 12 are ritch in Gipsy history we share no history through dna with no other peoples, these are the 12 below

Stanley Young Smith Seed Jeffery two Lovell's  Hodgkin's Davidson Deese Boswell a Weddell who father was a Lovell and who as these ancestors in his tree
Duke Lee
1785–
Union Lee
1797–1880
 Duanna (Diana) Lee
1785–
Elisha 'Rightdoer' Lee
1710–
 Elisha 'Rightdoer' Lee1737–
Letitia Lee
1765–1802
Manfield Lee
1765–1835
 so you see evan when someone as a name like Weddell that may not be known by anyone yet when you look into their dna as a family in dna you then start to learn, me and Weddell then go on to share 27 people who we both match to and each and every one of those 27 are from the Gipsy's, i have 17 thousand dna matches thoughout the world i have still not looked at thousands of these matches but so far i have over seven hundred people from the old Gipsy's worldwide who match through dna with me, over 20 now are from the Romany Gipsy of Europe, how i match to them is a mystery for they hold no British way dna as in ethnicity yet we share far ancestry in dna as dna.

Offline lukesmith1989

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 17 April 22 18:49 BST (UK) »
hi i know this is an old thread but il try my luck anyway. my names luke smith iv always been told i have roma blood and its about time i found out how. today i found out from a great auntie that the name smith is actually from my maternal line  on my dads side and my real 2nd name is sherriff my great great grandad was called william sherriff and he was from around nottingham way? any info would be great thankyou

Offline MeirSoul

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 16 May 22 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I have recently come across the name of Sherriff in a tree that I am researching on behalf of someone else although the information was originally given to me by someone on another site.

I am doing a tree primarily centred round the Hodgkins family who travelled in Worcs area and I've just linked a Patience Holland to them somehow.

Now, Patience (1794, Crayton) was apparently married first to a Thomas Hodgkins and had at least  one son called Thomas (1821, Hillton, Leics) who married Unity (1820, Whittaker, Warks).  Patience then married a Jonas Holland (1806, Tate Brook, Warks) and they had John, Joseph, Henry, Isaac, Jacob, Patience and Ezekiah.

There is a 1861 census at Bloxwich, Staffs which list Patience and Jonas Holland plus 16 other people but it's a heck of a confusing census list because only 5 of the total of 18 people have a Relationship noted for them.  Jonas is Head, Patience is Wife, Thomas Hodgkins is 'Son of Patience', John Holland is 'Son of Patience' and then Unity is described as 'Wife of Thomas Hodgkins'.  The rest of them have no description at all ans none of them are in much order of age or connection so it's very difficult to work out who is who.

Now then....    in 1881 there is a census recorded in Great Barr, Staffs in Travelling Vans.

Apart from a couple of Holland families mentioned, there is also a register of a John Sherriff (1848) as Head abiding with Patience Holland listed as Grandmother.  Now, I've traced this John Sherriff down as a son of Jonas Sherriff (1819) and Jane ?? (1822).

What I don't know is the following...

Was Patience's maiden name Sherriff and this is a son she had before she married her first husband Thomas Hodgkins (he's older than the son I have registered to them as being born in 1821 so it is possible) or was he another son of her union with Thomas but just took her maiden name.  Or was John's mother Jane a daughter of Patience and she then married a Sherriff.

Another possible Sherriff I have is Catherine (1800) married to Joseph Hodgkins (1781, Tredington, Worcs).  I say 'possible' because the person who gave me the initial link to Sherriffs and Hodgkins believes that she was a Sherriff but I have nothing so far to back up his theory. 

Joseph and Catherine had, amongst others, Job Hodgkins (1827, Exhall, Warks) who married Trainnet Hodgkins (1825, Tannot, Warks) and this is the line that I'm following for direct descendants.  The connection between these two Sherriffs is that John Holland (1828, Braunton, Warks) s/o Jonas Holland & Patience married Sarah Hodgkins (1824, Braunton, Warks) d/o Joseph Hodgkins and Catherine which makes both mothers possible Sherriffs.

I can't see that any of these names fit in with the names already mentioned on this thread but I was hoping that someone could throw a light on the subject if they are connected to their lines in any way.

Hi . I am currently researching this line and wondered if you have any further information on the parents of William Hodgkinson / Hodgkins.  Married Elizabeth Mear .

Thanks
Halket- longton Stoke on Trent / Banff Scotland
Cooke - Meir/Longton Stoke on Trent
Emery- Meir/ Longton Stoke-on-Trent
Shaw - Birmingham
Leese - Longton/ Fenton/Stoke-on-Trent
Neild/Nield/Neeld/Neald- Uttoxeter/ Abbots bromley
Hodgkinson/Hodgkins - Uttoxeter/Hanbury/Lichfield/Rugeley/Abbots bromley
Brassington - Uttoxeter
Thorley - Stoke on Trent
Mears -Wetley Rocks/Longton Stoke on Trent
Breeze- Hanley/Longton/Stoke-on-Trent/Staffordshire/Shropshire
Burton - Uttoxeter

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 16 May 22 22:22 BST (UK) »

Hi . I am currently researching this line and wondered if you have any further information on the parents of William Hodgkinson / Hodgkins.  Married Elizabeth Mear .

Thanks

My theory is that it's William Hodgkinson and Eleanor Young, m. 1785; children including Elizabeth, Richard, William and Edward. Both William (1791) and Edward (1796) had daughters named Eleanor, and both Richard and William were b. Dudley. Edward married Sarah Mayer and William married Elizabeth Mear - I think both of these were daughters of Obadiah Mear/Mayer. Lots of connections with these families ... but all just tantalising theory so far :)

- Garen
Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/