Author Topic: Custom House Burning - Part 1 / John Wilson  (Read 92975 times)

Offline margnip2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Custom House Burning / John Wilson
« Reply #333 on: Saturday 29 January 11 22:25 GMT (UK) »
It turns out that the Chris Flynn on that list is my grandadad!  His name was Philip Christopher Flynn and so all my research has been done using the name Philip Flynn.  It now seems I must also try and find info on Christopher or Chris Flynn, if anyone can help :-)
Dublin-Byrne, Doyle,
Kildare - Mooney, Fox
County Cavan-Flynn, Donohoe
London-Pingram, Cowell
Oxfordshire-French, Hunt
Tamworth Staffordshire-Chiles, Marson

Offline kristof

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: Saturday 29 January 11 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greymatter, sent you a PM.
C
Brennan (Finglas)
O'Shaughnessy (Clare)
Welch (Dublin)
Moore (Portadown)
Williams (Cornwall)
Albrecht (Germany & Australia)
Korn (Germany & Australia)
Coster (London)

Offline Gary Deering

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: Monday 31 January 11 06:21 GMT (UK) »
I have just started a facebook group on the Burning of the Custom House, my plan is to get pictures of as many of the men who took part in the operation & post individual pictures of each man ( as many as I can get) so far I have just put up tom keogh,p odaly, bill stapleton etc,is it ok to use some of the pictures from here ? I dont want to annoy anyone by reposting there pictures.The group is set to private to stop any spam or politcal comments etc .Of course everyone is welcome to join.

Gary
Deering Dublin,Hickey Dublin,Wilson Dublin,Murphy Dublin/Carlow.

Offline diarmuid.g

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: Friday 04 February 11 23:52 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather,  Peter Gaffney and his older brother Thomas Gaffney, were both arrested and imprisoned for their part in the burning of the custom house. They were both from a Na Fianna Eireann background and I believe their father was a railway man out of Wexford and former IRB and  IRA man. I believe he was also arrested on the job when he gave away his cover by ordering the civilians to lie low before they hit an ambush while the train was carrying troops. It was also told that Thomas was a runner in 1916  during the rising and was a first aider in the GPO.  We have the combat medals at home for both, but none from the Easter rising. They lived in west Dublin but I know little else. They must have been highly trusted as many leaders of 1916 including Pearse used to come round to tea.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Custom House Burning - Part 1 / John Wilson
« Reply #337 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 18:03 BST (UK) »
Moderator Note : Topic Split due to size - continues here : Custom House Burning - Part 2 (John Wilson)
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests