Author Topic: Chaloner family  (Read 24024 times)

Offline DickC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chaloner family
« Reply #27 on: Monday 02 February 15 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Remember I said that a connection to Debroah Brettargh would have been a major development. The entry we all found for the marriage of Deboarah brettargh to John states that John's surname was Chandler, not Challinor. (Chaleneur). However, Mr Pinkwhistle and the rest of us maybe thought that could easily have been a mistake in translation. Often happens.

However, I've just found an entry that refers to the will of a Deborah Chandler in 1686:

"The will of his widow, Deborah Chandler, was dated and proved in 1686; she desired to be buried in the chancel of Childwall church next to the body of her late husband, James Brettargh. There are mentioned her daughters Hitchmough, Hanna, Phoebe Potter; her grandchildren, Thomas Brettargh, Edward and Phoebe Richardson, and Deborah, wife of Mordecai Cocker of Cockshead."

It would appear that James Brettargh was her first husband and that after his death, Deborah married John Chandler and became Deborah Chandler. You will note that a number of names are mentioned in the will and there is no mention of a Timothy Chandler. I cannot imagine that had he been her son and alive that she would have omitted him from her will. Looks like the kiss of death for Mr Pinkwhistle's proposed tree. Shame!!

Offline linda25g

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I am not arguing that a John Challinor was born in 1695 to a father called Timothy.  The problem is "who were Timothy's parents. There is the Timothy born in 1665 to John Chandler and Debra Brettargh, and there is the Timothy baptised on 6 Dec 1666 in 'Huyton by Roby' to father William Challinor.
Attached is a ref: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J389-LYR
We need to be certain.
The excellent information you provided about Timothy being made a Freeman in 1703 could be the key. I recall that John's had information about his father when he was made a Freeman in 1721. If your petition of 1703 Timothy had such information, it would be a clincher. It would also help if we had a date for the marriage of Timothy to this Ann.
Timothy was not made a freeman by right of being a son or apprentice of a freeman, this was a petition to be made a freeman so it doesn't mention his father or master. It does however state that he was married to a daughter of the late John Wilme
Boliver - Selattyn/St. Martins
Hinton - Whitchurch/Ightfield
Parry - Hanmer/Bronington
Clarke - Barnsley/Lancaster
Clegg - Rochdale/Lancaster
Owens - Llansannan
Lee - Malpas
Chaloner - Holt/Chester
Airey - Westmorland
Sadler - Shropshire
Gee - Holt
Benbow - Shropshire

Offline Lairdglyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 08 February 19 14:49 GMT (UK) »
RE Challinor/ Chalenor etc Family from Glyn Challinor
I have traced my tree from the present day back to Timothy Chalenor, borne 1666, married Anne Wilme 1677-1731 but can get no further. He was one of the Denbighshire Chalenors who seem to go back to Sir Thomas Chalenor 1564-??? wwho married Elizabeth Fleetwood 1568-1643

Mary Matthews 1748-1807 married Charles Chalenor 1745-???, son of Charles Senior 1780-1825 and father of Thomas 1780-1825

Happy to share my tree and to receive information to fill thee gap between 1564 and 1666

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.

Offline Lairdglyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 11 February 19 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
My name is Glyn Challinor and I have managed to trace my family tree from today back to Timothy Chaloner born 1666 marroied to Anne Wilme 1677-1731 The name seems to have changed over the years due to the various spellings but my tree currently includes many of the names I read in this forum. I was born in Frodsham, Cheshire and most of my descendants came from around the Chester area. My tree is available on the My Heritage Site and I am happy to share any information I have with any other Challinors from any branch of the family
I am currently stuck on the Challinor tree at Timothy but have traced my Grandmother's line back to 250 AD. If anyone can help me get back past Timothy Chalenor I would be very grateful.
With thanks
Glyn Challinor

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses

Offline linda25g

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 17:01 GMT (UK) »
RE Challinor/ Chalenor etc Family from Glyn Challinor
I have traced my tree from the present day back to Timothy Chalenor, borne 1666, married Anne Wilme 1677-1731 but can get no further. He was one of the Denbighshire Chalenors who seem to go back to Sir Thomas Chalenor 1564-??? wwho married Elizabeth Fleetwood 1568-1643

Mary Matthews 1748-1807 married Charles Chalenor 1745-???, son of Charles Senior 1780-1825 and father of Thomas 1780-1825

Happy to share my tree and to receive information to fill thee gap between 1564 and 1666

Hi
I've not seen any indication that Timothy was from Denbighshire or even lived there, The Timothy who married Ann Wilme lived in Chester, his son John later lived in Holt Denbighshire

Linda
Boliver - Selattyn/St. Martins
Hinton - Whitchurch/Ightfield
Parry - Hanmer/Bronington
Clarke - Barnsley/Lancaster
Clegg - Rochdale/Lancaster
Owens - Llansannan
Lee - Malpas
Chaloner - Holt/Chester
Airey - Westmorland
Sadler - Shropshire
Gee - Holt
Benbow - Shropshire

Offline Lairdglyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Linda,

Was Timothy's son John Chaloner born and died and married to Margarett Williams, if so, he is the Holt John Chalenor my ancestor and My Holt information about Timothy was incorrect. If so then do you have any other information about the Timothy who married Anne Wilme?

Offline Shep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 21 February 19 12:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping Linda25g can help on this one but the question is aimed at all the Chaloner descendants / ancestors who hark back to Thomas Chalenor (b1780 Holt - d1825 Mancott). I think we all agree he married an Ann Thomas, however my question concerns his parents.

Some have Thomas's parents as Thomas (1751 - 1827) with Elizabeth Beech. However, I went with Charles Chalenor & Mary based on the baptism in Holt on 25 Dec 1780 rather than the 1782 baptism.
Does anyone have any conclusive evidence as to which is correct?

thanks Shep.
Shepherd, Moran, Bath, Keating, Putt - Chester
Trussell - Flint / West Bromwich
Hughes - Flint / Oakenholt
Challinor / Chaloner - Chester / Wirral / Hawarden / Holt
Reynolds - Chester
Edwards - Rossett / Pulford
Strange - Chester / Shropshire
Bayliss - Rossett / Allington / Pulford

Offline Lairdglyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 22 February 19 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Shep
Some of us have Thomas born 1780 married to Anne Thomas born 1776 with Thomas parents as Charles born 1745 and Mary ( born Matthews) 1478 and children Charles, George,William 1, William 2, Thomas and Timothy. This may be another line worth lookin into.
Good Luck
Glyn

Offline Shep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 22 February 19 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Shep
Some of us have Thomas born 1780 married to Anne Thomas born 1776 with Thomas parents as Charles born 1745 and Mary ( born Matthews) 1478 and children Charles, George,William 1, William 2, Thomas and Timothy. This may be another line worth lookin into.
Good Luck
Glyn

That was the point of my question Glyn. Which route is correct - is it Charles & Mary or Thomas and Elizabeth. What leads some of us one way and others in a different direction?

Do we all agree that Charles and Mary are the more likely route of parentage for Thomas (1751 - 1827)?

Shep.
Shepherd, Moran, Bath, Keating, Putt - Chester
Trussell - Flint / West Bromwich
Hughes - Flint / Oakenholt
Challinor / Chaloner - Chester / Wirral / Hawarden / Holt
Reynolds - Chester
Edwards - Rossett / Pulford
Strange - Chester / Shropshire
Bayliss - Rossett / Allington / Pulford