Author Topic: St Helier Parish Registers - TITE  (Read 13242 times)

Offline GMelia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Helier Parish Registers - TITE
« on: Tuesday 01 September 09 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm looking for assistance in sourcing possible baptism information relating to a Samuel John Tite b. 15 Oct 1867 to Thomas Tite and Ann (?) in St Helier. I believe the family are unique to the island at this time as Thomas and Ann came over from England pre 1860, first living in St Brelade before moving to St Helier and are the only Tites on the 1861 census, from what I can see.

Any assistance in this matter would be most appreciated as identifying the maiden name of Ann would be of great use in my research.

Many Thanks

Grant Melia
Melia, Maley, Mealey, Malley, Tite, Pigot, Kerr, Hart, Hall, Roscoe, Connor, Eglin

Offline Mike E

• Email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: St Helier Parish Registers - TITE
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 September 09 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Grant -

A lot of the St Helier parish registers are on line at the Jersey Heritage Trust - see http://jerseyheritagetrust.jeron.je   and select 'archives' and 'name' 

I had a look and found (ref G/C/03.A2/20) a St Helier parish church register for 1886 - 1889 with a baptism (4.12.1887) of Winter John Samuel Tite (born 14.11.1887) son of Thomas John Baxter Tite (a storeman) and Maria Clementine Pallot.  Godparents were father and Elizabeth Sarah Tite. 

If as you say there was only one Tite family in Jersey then - could this be your family?

The 1863-1871 St Helier parish church baptism register is also online - but I couldn't see any Tite. 

Mike

Entwistle (Bolton and Edgworth)
Cook(e) (Manchester and Warwicks)
Whitaker (Lancs and Cumberland)
McMillen and Palmer (Co Down)
Hyde and Oakley (Staffs)
Lovet, Edwards and Clark (Salop)
Ratcliffe, Walker and Ruffley (Lancs)
Sainsbury (Gloucs, Cornwall and Yorks)
Laundry (Cornwall)
Waterhouse and Haigh (Yorks)
Bird, Rendel / Rendle, Bull, Stoodley, Shoemake / Shoemark, Groves, Baker, Hallett, Burford, Gaylard, Mounter, Highmore (Somerset)
Barber, Brown (Cheshire)
Waterfield (Derby)

Offline GMelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 September 09 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info on the Heritage Trust. Thomas John Baxter Tite is the son of Thomas Tite and Ann. Elizabeth is his sister. Thomas, Elizabeth, Samuel and Mary are part of my elusive generation of Tites. I see St Brelade where Mary the eldest was born is not online at this time, do you, or anyone else reading this, know the timescales for these records coming on-line.  Is it an ongoing project of digitisation or are they going on as an when.

Thanks again,

Grant
Melia, Maley, Mealey, Malley, Tite, Pigot, Kerr, Hart, Hall, Roscoe, Connor, Eglin

Offline Ellenc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 December 10 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Grant,
I am also researching this family. The information I have is: Samuel John Tite was born on 14th Oct 1865 at 3, Seaton Place, St. Helier. He was the son of  Thomas James Sills Tite and Ann (nee Fogwell). Thomas and Ann were married at St. Brelade's  on 7th Feb. 1860. Ann was the daughter of William Fogwell, born Dartmouth. I have a lot more info and will be happy to share what I have.
What is your relationship to Samuel?

Offline GMelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 December 10 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ellenc,

Thankyou for the information you've provided, it's broken through a long standing wall in my research. Samuel is my 2nd Great Grandfather on my farthers mothers side. Samuels son William Thomas Sills Tite is my Great Grandfather and his daughter Hilda Tite is my Grandmother. Would be happy to share the info I have. What would you most be interested in?

Offline Ellenc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 December 10 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Great to hear the info I sent was  helpful. I have been helping a friend here in Aussie who is descended from Samuel Tite. She is the daughter of Doris Mabel Tite (William Thomas's sister) and so a first cousin of Hilda.
I have no information later than the children of Samuel John Tite and Caroline Mary Hearn. I have the children 1 William Thomas Sills Tite b.1892, who married Florence Picot 1927,  2 Florence Albina A. Tite b.1897 who married Ernest Bush 1916, 3 Caroline Elizabeth Tite b.1899 who married George P. Luke 1932, 4 Beatrice Alice Tite b.1904, 5 Doris Mabel Tite b.1907 who married Harry Dean 1932, Samuel John Tite b.1910 who married Edna Dean in 1933.
Is this all correct, and do you have the descendents of these?

Going backwards I have Samuel John b. 1865 who is the son of Thomas James Sills Tite b.c. 1831 Lambeth London. Married 7th Feb. 1860 in St. Brelade's.
The father of Thomas James b. 1831 is Thomas Tite b.c. 1806 Stalbridge Dorset married to Sarah. This seems to be where the family originated. There are so many Tites there.
I do have other info if you could let me know what you need. My husband and I were in Jersey and did some research there. (My husband was born there and his family are there) We are going again around Sept. so might be able to fill in any details then.
Do you have any family photos? or mementoes that can be copied? I would love to surprise my friend with more details about her family.

Offline GMelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 December 10 16:21 GMT (UK) »
I have the following info to date

Children of Samuel John Tite and Caroline Mary Hearn

William Thomas Sills Tite (1892 – 1962)
   m. Florence Pigot (1898 – 1951)
(From the Line of Pigots of whom James Pigot author of Pigot Directories is a direct ancestor)
Children
   Ethel Tite (? – 1976)
   Moderator comment: Names of living people removed in accordance with our 'no living people' policy

Florence Albenia Tite (1897 – 1970)
   m. Tom Jackson (? - ?)
   Children
      Thomas S Jackson (1921 - ?)
      Walter Irving Jackson (1928 – 2005)

Caroline Elizabeth Tite (1899 - ?)
   m. George P Luke

Beatrice Alice Tite (1904 – 1964)

Doris Mable Tite (1907 - ?)
   m. Harry Dean
   Children
      Moderator comment: Names of living people removed in accordance with our 'no living people' policy

Samuel John Tite (1910 - ?)
   m. Edna Dean

Frederick A Tite (1913 - ?)

Regrettably, photos are thin on the ground at the moment, I do have some certificates and headstone photos I’ll send over along with one of my grandmother.

I think the information I’m most interested in is that relating to the families time on the channel islands as it’s the hardest for me to research, and unique in that they were on the islands for a time.

The descendants I’m aware of for Thomas James Sills Tite are as follows;
Mary Anne Tite (1860 - ?)
Thomas James Baxter Tite (1865 - ?)
   m. Maria C Pallot (1868 - ?)
   Childern
   Winter John Samuel Tite (1887 - ?)
Thomas James Sills Tite (1887 - ?)
Samuel Tite (1890 - ?)
Ernest Sydney Tite (1892 – 1938)
Frederick William Tite (1893 – 1953)
Lydia Ann Elizabeth Tite (1894 - ?)
Harold Tite (1898 - ?)
Edward Albert Tite (1902 - ?)
Samuel John Tite (1867 – 1940) See Previous
Elizabeth Sarah Tite
   m. Helier Alfred Gallichan (1868 - ?)
   Children
   Elizabeth Gallichan (1891 - ?)
   Helier A T Gallichan (1895 - ?)
   William John Gallichan (1898 - ?)
   Ethel Gallichan (1899 - ?)
   Thomas A Gallichan (1901 - ?)

Offline kathyrice

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello other desendants of Samuel John Tite  :)

I would like to thank you all for the information you have supplied here.
My mother and I are very grateful :)

Florence Albina Ann Tite was my greatgrand mother she was married in 1920 to Tom Jackson in Chorlton Manchester. They had two chirldren Thomas and Walter Irving. Sadly i don't know anything of Thomas but Walter was my Grandad.  He had three children, Moderaor comment: Names of living people removed in accordance with our 'no living people' policy
Walter was an interesting man who was very knowledgable and artistic, he loved to paint. 
I don't know if he knew any of his family history as i never asked at the time,  I'm sure he would have been thrilled to hear what i have managed to find out thanks to you all.

I have Florence Albinas birth certificate now if anyone is interested in any of the details on it i would love to share.

Kathy

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 January 14 09:00 GMT (UK) »
JERRIPEDIA........a site with lots of trees,parish records ,stories,pictures.....masses of stuff.Anyone researching Jersey should not forget this wonderful site with new things being added daily.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)