Author Topic: Barham baptism 1804 lookup request  (Read 3381 times)

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barham baptism 1804 lookup request
« on: Wednesday 02 September 09 12:17 BST (UK) »
I'd be grateful if anyone with access to an appropriate library in Kent can look up the following, and let me know if there's any extra info such as address, father's occupation, or witnesses' names.

Susanna Sophia Austin, christened 9 Sep 1804, Barham, Kent, England.
Parents: James Austin & Sophia (Hill)

The Batch number is C041635. The source call number is microfilm number 1736523
Item 5. According to the catalogue of the Salt Lake Library found on the FamilySearch website, these records are ' Bishop's transcripts: Baptisms,
marriages and burials 1603-1813' for Barham.

Offline chrisdix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Barham baptism 1804 lookup request
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

The Barham Registers are on line if it helps at http://www.barham-kent.org.uk/Genealogy.htm

I note that the birth Name is Austen not Austin.

Chris

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 18:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks: but what I was after was the original register, in case it contained extra info not in the IGI.

The parents, James Austin & Sophia Hill, had 9 children in 5 locations (Barham, Chatham, Bray near Maidenhead, Melton Mowbray and St James Piccadilly).
But I can't find their marriage. Susanna Sophia was the oldest daughter, so any info on father's occupation or names of witnesses might help identify where they came from.  Three of their children went out to Ceylon, whither various Austen/Austins from Ramsgate had gone, so James might be related to them.

If anyone can find the marriage of James Austin/Austen and Sophia Hill I'll of course be very grateful; it's not in the IGI.

The transcription is however interesting, in that it differs in both spelling (Austen) and date (2 Sep 1804) from the IGI (Austin, 9 Sep 1804); the date difference could be that one is birth and the other baptism?
As to the spelling, the Ramsgate family were mostly spelt Austen, as was James's 2nd child at her baptism (Mary Ann, Chatham 9 Apr 1806), so that makes their being related more plausible.

Thanks for your help

Denis

Offline Bruce609

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 March 11 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denis
I am descended from Mary Livingston Morris [ Austin] , daughter of James  Austin & Sophia [ Hill].. I have not been able to find any details of James other than what you have noted here....Have you had any success since?
Thanks
Bruce

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 March 11 12:47 GMT (UK) »
No, I haven't got any further back with James Austin/Sophia Hill - earliest is the baptisms of their 9 children, starting with Susanna Sophia in 1804.

I do have an increasing amount on the children's families, though very little on your ancestress, Mary Ann Austen, c 9 Apr 1806 Chatham

Mary Ann Austin (1806 Chatham - ?1876 Barnstaple)
m. William Morris (1808 Quebec - ?1883 Kensington), Ceylon Civil Service
-> Robert WT M. (1835/6-1908), m 1864 Sarah Louisa Woodall, ?no children
  prob at least one older son (w. 2 daus. b 1856/7)

I can't remember what that last note was based on.  Can you tell me what children Mary Ann & William Morris had?

Denis

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 March 11 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Do you now have the information from the original baptisms of the children baptised in Picadilly ie. 1813/1815/1817/1819 address of St James St and occupation of gent, club house keeper, vintner, gent respectively?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bruce609

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 March 11 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denis
Thanks for the prompt reply
Mary Ann married William Morris b Quebec 1808 and had 2 known children: RWT and Mary Livingstone Morris. MLM m. 1. Frederick William Gisborne [1826-1864] and then 2 Frederick George Davis, my  maternal ggf., to whom she bore 6 children, the youngest of whom Arthur was my GF. FG Davis migrated to Tasmania as did his  half-brother  , Frederick AW Gisborne.
If you are an Ancestry member this is all [?] in my tree Walker-Gilbert, in more detail.
The Morris line claims descendancy from Lord Livingstone of Callendar, though I can find no link .William appears to have been born of an Irish father in Canada. Both were in the British Army.
Bruce

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 March 11 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for al lthe info on Mary Ann Austen's family!

A few queries ..

1) I think you have the wrong Sarah Louis Woodall marrying Mary Ann's son Robert.  The right one was chr. in Manchester Cathedral 7 Oct 1836 (IGI), parents James W (a Woollen cloth merchant in Manchester in the 1861 census) and Eliza.

2) When and where did Mary Ann die?  I had Barnstaple 1876, aged 69 (from BMD), you have Kensington 1881 - more plausible place, perhaps (tho' their son lived in Devon), but age (acc. BMD) slightly wrong for our Mary Ann.  Have you seen the d cert?  (I seldom do, at £7 a time!).

3) Were her children Mary and Robert twins?  His census age(s) suggest they're very close in age.

4) Could she (Mary Ann) have had any other children?

Any help welcome!

Denis

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 March 11 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Do you now have the information from the original baptisms of the children baptised in Picadilly ie. 1813/1815/1817/1819 address of St James St and occupation of gent, club house keeper, vintner, gent respectively?

Casalguidi :)

Yes, I had looked those up.  I also have "cook" for son William's baptism (1811, Melton Mowbray). [William went on to be a coffee planter in Ceylon, returning to die in Islington 1848, leaving one daughter, Katherine Evelyn Austin, a cousin and friend of my gggm.]

I'd still be interested if anyone can look at that Barham baptism (2 or 9 Sep 1804) to see if it gives James's profession then - he does seem to have moved a lot!

Denis