Author Topic: Barham baptism 1804 lookup request  (Read 3382 times)

Offline Bruce609

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Barham baptism 1804 lookup request
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 11:40 GMT (UK) »
The Tree you allude to on Ancestry is indeed mine. I am satisfied with my side back to William Morris born abt 1781 in Waterford, John Livingston and Abigail Doughurty as they are well documented in Newfoundland , and their descendants documented in Quebec. On the Canadian/Scottish Austin side, I am comfortable with Dr William Austin who married Sidney S Morris. They too are well documented in Ceylon and Quebec. However from there back ie Robert and Ms Copland is speculative to date as these people have been "lifted" off Ancestry, mainly through Ancestry's"potential parent". I am not subscribed to either Ancestry or Scotlands People so verifying these will probably have to wait until I have more time in the Australian winter.  However there do not seem to be any connections to James in Kent.
The reoccurrence of names in this family is a challenge; I have 3 generations of William Morris, and the son of the third William and Mary Ann Austin [ Robert William Trevor Morris] had nieces on his wife's side whose father was yet another William Morris !

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 12:45 GMT (UK) »
I do subscribe to Ancestry currently, so if there's anything you want me to check let me know.
And I do use scotlndspeople occasionally, though I don't like it's payments through credits system, and its transcriptions of names are often very poor - I think they must be done by non UK natives. And I find Familysearch much more difficult to use since they `improved' it a few years ago - but the quality of those old transcriptions is so much better than Scotlandspeople!

The army service sheet for William Austin states clearly that he was born in Glasgow on 10 Feb 1790, so I'll try to look at the corresponding microfiche at the Sc Gen Soc in Edinburgh when I'm next that way.  If his parents are Robert & Henrietta they were cutting it fine, having only been married on 30 Aug 1789 (acc. Ancestry tree).

Offline Bruce609

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the offer. I am playing on Family Search now and have filled in some dates  and places which all seem to fit together. I would certainly like to know what you discover about William in Edinburgh. Going through the family William wasn't the only child who had a short gestation period, and quite a few were born well before the parents' wedding.
My Ancetry Tree is" A Walker and Gilbert Tree" but I have noticed  there is another  which has the Scottish Canadian family in it which may throw some light on the clan.