Author Topic: Barham baptism 1804 lookup request  (Read 3380 times)

Offline lisingreece

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Barham baptism 1804 lookup request
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes it does give his profession, it is Sutler, this means one who follows an army or lives in a garrison town and sells provisions to the soldiers.

He is Sutler to the 1st Regt of Foot guards.

I will also send you a private message

Lis
Bailey, Stickells,  Marshall,  Hope, Morris, Wratten, Hope,  Knowler, Lonkhurst,  Gower,  Ratcliffe, Newport,  Boulden,  Stokes,  Beverley, Law, Lushington,  Parham,  Thorpe,  Piddleden,  Swaffer, Wide, Wood,  Austen, Eastes,  Hulke,  Banes, Hadley, Denne, Mullet, Dove, Mackney,all in Kent

Offline Bruce609

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denis
Thank you for the  corrections for SLW and MAA. I think your death for Mary Ann in Barnstaple is actually correct and will update my record for her too. I think I was misled by finding her widower husband in Kensington in the 1881 census.
Like you I have few death certificates, partially due to the poor exchange rate for the Aussie dollar in years past.
Finding the marriages William and MaryAnn, and Robert and Louisa would help !!

I have no additional information on MaryL or RobertWT; my grandmother Elsie Davis nee Priestley certainly did not mention any siblings and she had a good handle on most of the family. Regretably I did not ask nearly enough questions while she was alive.

Bruce

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Bruce, the marriage of Sarah Louisa WOODALL was at St George, Hulme, Manchester 1864 http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/ - you could try a lookup here on the Rootschat Lancashire Lookup Requests board.

Denis, what do you know about Sophia (wife of James AUSTIN) ie. age/demise/origins which may help pinpoint her whereabouts during her early years thus hints for a marriage place?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Ref Sarah Louisa Woodall - yes, her marriage to Robert WT Morris in 1864 is in BMD; also, as mentioned, her family are in various censuses, e.g. 1861 -
c1861 - 56 Richmond Hill, Stretford
James Woodall   Head M   57?   Woollen cloth merchant    b  Manchester
Eliza   "   Wife M   55                                                               "
James W  " Son U   21   Articled law clerk                                  "   
Sarah L  "   Dau U   24                                                             "
Elizabeth A " Dau U   16                                                           "
+ 2 servts.

Ref Mary Ann's marriage to William Morris.  Presumably this was in Ceylon, ca. 1833-5. It might be in the Asiatic Journal, or even in the Colombo Journal, which was started in 1832 as a semi-official pubication by George Lee who later married Mary Ann's sister Martha Austin.  I've looked online, but fear you'd have to go somewhere like the British Library in St Pancras's India section to find a paper copy to search.

Ref Sophia Hill.  I have an excess of info on many of her children's families, but nothing on her beyond the baptism entries for 9 children, 1804-19.

Is there an online index for Kent wills?  I've just seen a reference to the death of a James Austin, with a probable relative Mary Ann Austin, in April 1834, which would be about right for our James, though judging by the rest of his career he could be anywhere!

Best wishes - Denis

Offline lisingreece

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 12:38 GMT (UK) »
 just google East kent wills and you will go to the index on Kent Archaeology site.

Then having found the Will you can ask Canterbury Cathedral Archives to photocopy and send. Thats what I do.

Its a good service.

Lis
Bailey, Stickells,  Marshall,  Hope, Morris, Wratten, Hope,  Knowler, Lonkhurst,  Gower,  Ratcliffe, Newport,  Boulden,  Stokes,  Beverley, Law, Lushington,  Parham,  Thorpe,  Piddleden,  Swaffer, Wide, Wood,  Austen, Eastes,  Hulke,  Banes, Hadley, Denne, Mullet, Dove, Mackney,all in Kent

Offline Bruce609

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 January 19 13:22 GMT (UK) »
It is a while since the last post on this topic, but I have not been able to trace back either James Austin or Sophia Hill. Has anyone done any better please ? I am particularly interested to see whether James is related to the Dr William Austin who married Sidney Sophia Morris in Ceylon in 1829. That Dr William appears to have Scottish origins, and later settled in Quebec. SSM is/was teh sister of William Morris who married Mary Ann Austin , daughter of James and Sophia in Colombo 9 July 1834
Bruce

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 January 19 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Haven't got further with James Austin's origins, tho' have filled out his career.  From in 1804 being sutler to the 1st Regiment of Foot, which was renamed the Grenadier Guards I think near the end of the Napoleonic War, he went on to be the club keeper for the Guards' Club at 49 St James's St, from shortly after the club was formed in 1813 until late 1822 - I found an advert for the sale of his stock of 600 cases of fine wine on leaving the Guards Club.

This has led to a probable identification of Sophia Hill, as the daughter b 1778 of Adam Hill, who died on 6 Nov 1820 - `In Park-street, Windsor, Adam Hill, many years Mess-master to the Officers of the Brigade of Guards' [Gentleman's Magazine]. He married Mary Pring on 10 July 1776, at  St Anne, Soho
->
Anne Hill       b 4 May, c 14 May 1777           St Marylebone
Sophia Hill    b 29 (31?) Oct, c 18 Nov 1778 (?/15 Jun 1779)   St Marylebone
Mary Ann Hill    Baptism   9 Dec 1781   St Marylebone
Adam Hill    Baptism   30 Jul 1784   St Marylebone
Martha Hill    Baptism   25 Sep 1785   St Marylebone
Sarah Hill    Baptism   28 Oct 1787   St Marylebone
William Hill    Baptism   25 Feb 1789   St Marylebone
Joseph Hill    Baptism   1 Aug 1790   St Marylebone
Mary Anna Hill    b 12 Nov, c 27 Nov 1791   St Marylebone

Coming back to James Austin, I had a look at the Austin-Morris connection. It looks pretty definite that there were brother and sister William M (1808-1883) and Sidney Sophia Austin (1811-1875) who both married Austins in Ceylon, but I can't see any known or likely connection between those spouses - JA/SH's daughter Mary Ann Austin (1806-) and the military surgeon William Austin (1790-1871) - though if there isn't it's quite a coincidence!  Have you got confirmation of William Austin's birth and parentage in Glasgow? - a tree (yours?) gives his paernts as Robert Austin and Harriet/Henrietta Copeland; I can find a bit about them on familysearch, but not William's birth.

Offline bcrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 04:04 GMT (UK) »
I have actually looked at the image you requested from the Barham Registers and it only gives a baptism and that was 2 September 1804. I tried to attach an image but was unable to do so.
rick
Durham:SIMPSON
Northumberland:RICHARDSON,FORSTER,LUMSDON
Yorkshire:LANE,HAMMOND,SCAIFE,SNOWBALL,AGAR
Norfolk:HAMMOND,BETTS,BRINGLOE
Nottinghamshire:FRIEND, EDWARDS
Kent:FRIEND,PATTISON,MANNERING, MARKS, CLAYSON, SOLES

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I should have reported that I found the original item requested under this thread some time ago.  The entry reads

Susannah Sophia Daughr. of James Austin, Sutler to the first Regt. of Foot Guards & Sophia his Wife Septemr. 2nd

The Christening register page is interesting, showing first, over 18 Sundays from 10 April to 12 August, ten christenings, so about one per fortnight, with no parental occupation given, presumably all permanent inhabitants of the parish; then there are 7 on 19 August, 2 on 26th, 3 on 2 September, so 12 in just 3 weeks; of these, the first on 2 Sept has no occupation given, so presumably a local, and the other 11 have army fathers (8 from 18th Regiment, 1 from 53rd, and 2 from the 1st Regt of Foot Guards).  The army was clearly a recent arrival - it was stationed at Barham against the threat of invasion by Napoleon, who inspected his army at Boulogne on 15 August.

Finding James's occupation was very useful, as it led into his later career, ending as club keeper at the Guards Club from which he retired in 1822.  I still know nothing definite about him from before 1804 or after 1822 - possibly 1827 as he's likely to be the Jas Austin witness at Susanna Sophia's wedding.