Author Topic: Whiting family  (Read 15141 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whiting family
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 20:34 BST (UK) »
address on 1891 census 2 Claremont Street
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
on June 9th 1902 at St Nicholas Church Deptford Benjamin Whiting / 26/ bachelor / coachman / 28 Grove Street / John Whiting / Coal Porter /
did marry the girl next door
Rose Eliza Quinton / 23 / spinster / / 26 Grove Street / Gary Quinton / Blacksmith
both signed
wits
walter taylor
Elizabeth Taylor
Mary Whiting
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline Ellesse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Toni
Thanks for all the info. this looks quite promising.  If I could tie this John Whiting to my John Ernest Whiting it would confirm it, but neither the birth indexes or census refer to John E Whiting at this time, but I'll keep digging.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 20:51 BST (UK) »
people did add names or change their names maybe to distinguish from one to another (father and son) or maybe they were baptised with one name and registered with another

this is the only John Whiting born Deptford with a father John

what else do you know about your John and can you fill in the details from his marriage certificate for me as you can see from benjamins wedding one of his sisters was a witness (possibly 2)

Offline Ellesse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 20:58 BST (UK) »
Toni
It seems that I didn't post one of my replies.  The marriage certificate dated 1908 gives John Ernest Whiting, age 28, Engineer, address Fair ground, Main Road, Darnall, father John Whiting, Engineer (doesn't say deceased)

Mary Ellen Bishton, age 22 address Fairground Main Road, Darnall, father William Bishton, Traveller (again doesn't say deceased)
Witnesses - The mark of James Holmes & Eliza Ann Bishton (who I think is her sister & who married James Holmes)

The 1911 census shows John Ernest born Deptford London S.E and Mary Ellen born Darnall, Sheffield, living with 2 children in a caravan at Bamforth Street, Penistone Road, Sheffield.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 21:03 BST (UK) »
i see the problem although there are not any other John Whitings born Deptford the time we are looking the occupations do not add up although a labourer to fairground ride operator is not a big jump , it is a completely different job for John senior but then again how did these rides operate back then ? steam ?
and no Whiting relatives as witnesses to confirm

have you done an address search for Bamforth Street Penistone Road Sheffield in 1911 ? hopefully this will show other Whitings  :-\

Offline Ellesse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi jeffgg
As far as I'm aware, Harriet Whiting married Robert West Oadley in Belper and they had 5 children.  Charles West (1889-1931), Harriet West (1891), Elizabeth West (1894), Robert West (1896) and Flora West (1899).  Harriets parents were Samuel Whiting and Hannah Hoult.  Samuel was a photographer and travelled with the fairs.  Harriet and Robert either ran or owned a fairground and travelled around the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire areas. I think that Robert West Oadley was convicted of a murder and that Harriet owned the steam engine "The Lord Kitchener".

Offline Ellesse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 21:11 BST (UK) »
Never thought of checking the 1911 census for Bamforth Street  ??? thanks

Offline jeffgg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 21:32 BST (UK) »
hi ellesse thanks for the info. i was shown a photo of the steam engine only yesterday taken in brimington where the fair parked up for the winter