Author Topic: Family tree on Ancestry  (Read 1943 times)

Offline drodgers34

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family tree on Ancestry
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 September 09 00:19 BST (UK) »
I am totaaly into the collaboration. The frustration of when people 'lift' your pages is when you do a search, find the matches but realise there is nothing new for you because its a copy of your stuff.

The newer 'connection' pages are better because it shows when people are addinf info to their page which is common to yours.

One of my Ancestry trees (HolmeVillageHome) is the entire inhabitants of a parish !  I get lots of connections when people search in there - which is useful even if the searchers arent actual relaitives - they may have photographs and info (such as school photos) which are of interest to me.

Anyone interested can look at the tree or www.werelate.org/wiki/HolmeVillageHome. Its base on the Village/parish of Holme in West Yorkshire. Among other things it has a village representation from 'around' 1911

I think you ought to consider where you got "your" information from in the first place.  How much work (often by volunteers) was done so you can sit in your comfy chair on your computer, and find the information  ?

I agree absolutely

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 September 09 10:41 BST (UK) »
I must warn AGAIN about trees on Ancestry.

My tree was put on by someone else with mistakes.  A couple of years later I looked at Ancestry trees and found my ancestor who had died in 1851 was resurrected in USA and had another wife and family.  A miracle family

Just be careful when looking at other peoples trees.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline jon888

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 September 09 11:54 BST (UK) »
author=Nick29 link=topic=403873.msg2731010#msg2731010
I think you ought to consider where you got "your" information from in the first place.  How much work (often by volunteers) was done so you can sit in your comfy chair on your computer, and find the information  ?

I dont have a problem with that. I enjoy doing research on my family and voluntary transcriptions of various records.

I am pleased that others will be saved the bother of trawling through partly unreadable parish records on microfiche to possibly find their ancestors. I dont see the point of everyone keeping their work a secret just so that others will have to go through the same work to reach the same conclusions.

Whether they are in a comfy armchair or not, the idea that someone related to me (however distant) would have to spend years researching only to discover to their horror that it had all been completed before by me, is just ludicrous - and a complete waste of time and effort.

Jon

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 00:07 BST (UK) »
In some ways I agree with you, Jon.  As a volunteer transcriber I do it so others can take advantage of my work.  On the other hand I do wonder whether some people even bother to think about how all the information got there in the first place.

Also, even if others had done the research before me I would still want to do it for myself.  I have been given family research but verified every last bit of it before accepting its accuracy.  That's me, cynic to the last  ;D

Offline jon888

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 09:26 BST (UK) »
I dont think that is cynical c-side, just a desire for accuracy. I do the same myself for the same reason.

I hope that if enough of us take this view, then those who wish to do nothing and still produce an impressive family tree will at least have an accurate one.

Jon