Author Topic: BATES Family  (Read 13063 times)

Offline heyescroft

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BATES Family
« Reply #27 on: Friday 04 March 11 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine,
Many thanks for the response, perhaps to call it a curse was a bit strong but I'm intrigued how it exists in several lines of the same family, I can understand the language angle.

I've found a link in our lines and we have a common Philip Bates who is my 7th GGF B 1658 in Drayton Parslow but through a different spouse (I can find 3 for him).

Phil

Offline Christine M.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 04 March 11 22:14 GMT (UK) »
The genetics of dyslexia are still not fully understood but it definitely runs in families. I'm sure we'd be a good family for researchers to investigate as it runs through so many different lines. Of course, we can only speculate about former members of our family possibly being dyslexic but  it's a fascinating topic. Do you know of any other members of your family who might be dyslexic?

Any ideas who the illegitimate link to nobility was in your family or might it have been Merrick Mead?

Christine.

Offline heyescroft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 05 March 11 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine,
Fascinating and to think that it would appear that its been in the family for at least 350 years.  We breed dogs and would hope to breed out a "defect" in 5 or 6 generations providing we don't double up on it.  Sorry I can't help with any others as I lost touch with my grandfathers siblings families 50 odd years ago.

Our family legends suggest that there is a Bates family crest and that the name Howard is an old family surname, so I would think that Merrick Mead is too recent but then family legends often get confused and mixed but I get the impression that the illegitimacy legend if its true dates back to the 1500's or earlier.  I'm currently stalled with my 9th GGF John Bates who was born 1585 in DP and married a Mary Rutland.

Phil

Offline Christine M.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 05 March 11 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Ok. Dyslexia would have been an evolutionary advantage in times past and probably still is in some non-literacy-dependent cultures. To be able to think outside of the box, which dyslexics can often do, would be just the kind of person you'd want in charge in many situations. Did you know Winston Churchill was dyslexic? I don't go with the idea that all dyslexics are geniuses by the way, just that dyslexia is a particular manifestation of "normal" which confers particular cognitive advantages, creativity often being one of them. Just the same really as some of us being better at maths and others at languages. We would never dream of describing those of us who struggle with one of these as being "defective". Dyslexics are however disadvantaged in a society which equates being literate with being intelligent. Your son just has a range of talents that are currently undervalued by society.
In terms of the Bates family, they could well have added to the dyslexic gene pool through their marriage partners. Hope you manage to find your thread of the family.

Christine.

Christine.

Christine.

Christine.

Offline heyescroft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 05 March 11 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I agree that over the generations there must have been some doubling up of the problematic genes and that it isn't all down to the Bates males.  My son does have a high level of intelligence but struggles with English & Maths but now he has started classes - they call them ALAN around here he has come to realise that he isn't that bad off as there are some that also struggle but also have a low level of intelligence to go with it.

Many thanks for your help and I'll let you know if I find the link.

Best wishes
Phil