Author Topic: Help looking for Family Descendants of Lifeboatman James McBay Johnshaven  (Read 69962 times)

Offline Beediebhoy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help looking for Family Descendants of Lifeboatman James McBay Johnshaven
« on: Friday 04 September 09 20:45 BST (UK) »
Just started doing our family tree and I am looking for any descendants of Lifeboat man James McBay who lost his life on the 21st December 1920. He was the Son of John Mearns McBay and Christina Alexander. 

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Help looking for Family Descendants of Lifeboatman James McBay Johnshaven
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 September 09 10:56 BST (UK) »
hi Beediebhoy

welcome to rootschat  :)

don't know if you have seen this tree -

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=coull&id=I3931

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 September 09 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
James Mearns McBay is my 3c2r,he had no direct decendants as both his children died when they were young 1910 and 1918.Jane McBay,wife (nee Mowatt) died 1965 Gourdon.
There was a dediction ceremony for RNLI boatmen who lost their lives and James was listed,I have photos of the ceremony which was held on 3 Sept.2009 at the RNLI headquarters Poole,Dorset if you are interested.
I look forward to hearing from you,
Regards
Mike
Just started doing our family tree and I am looking for any descendants of Lifeboat man James McBay who lost his life on the 21st December 1920. He was the Son of John Mearns McBay and Christina Alexander.
Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Offline thehammies13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 September 09 22:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry if this is a bit vague!  I sent this to my cousin last year when I was looking up her McBay/Milne /Cargill connections in gourdon and Johnshaven.

John Mearns McBay m Helen Blues  24.10.1902
John's parents - john Mearns McBay & Christina Alexander
Helen's parents - Thomas blues  & Jane Mackie.

Let me know if this is of interest to you, and I'll sort through my notes.  It was confusing at teh time, as there were two John Mearns McBays.

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,
All the names you mention are my maternal ancestors :) from Kincardineshire,I go back to my 6x Grt.Grandfather in Findochty,Banff.
I would be very interested in anything you have on the McBay/Bey line.
There are three JOHN MEARNS MCBAY and I am happy to exchange information with anyone who has an interest in the MCBAY/BEY'S.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Mike
Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Offline Beediebhoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike. 
James Mearns McBay was my great uncle and I have been interested in the memorial on which he was mentioned on in Dorset.  My uncle who was named after him, James McBay Ritchie sadly passed away last year as did his niece my mum Christina Ritchie who lived all her life in Johnshaven.  Their is another great niece as well as myself and 2 great nephews who still stay in Johnshaven.  I have got as far back in the McBay/McBey line as 1726 to Alexender McBey who married Janet Anderson at Rathven Banff.  I would be delighted to hear and share information with you and anyone interested in the McBay/McBey family tree.
Regards
Jackie

Offline Beediebhoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 19:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry if this is a bit vague!  I sent this to my cousin last year when I was looking up her McBay/Milne /Cargill connections in gourdon and Johnshaven.

John Mearns McBay m Helen Blues  24.10.1902
John's parents - john Mearns McBay & Christina Alexander
Helen's parents - Thomas blues  & Jane Mackie.

Let me know if this is of interest to you, and I'll sort through my notes.  It was confusing at teh time, as there were two John Mearns McBays.
Hi I would be very interested in your findings as this was a brother of James Mearns McBay.
Thanks
Jackie

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie,
Have I answered your post dtd.22 Sept? or have I had another senior moment. The names you mention are all my ancestors and I have photos of the memorial dedication for James.
I have had builders in and been attending hospital and I have lost track of where I am with this post,
I look forward to hearing from you again!!!
Regards
Mike

Offline louisamurphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 November 09 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi I noticed your posting and wondered if there is a connection perhaps between our families? My grandfather was named James McBay Blacklaws, and was born in Benholm in c1920. He married a woman from Fern, Angus in 1941 in Benholm her name was Dorothy Clyne Yeats. My grandfather passed away in 1992, if you can shed any light on this i'd be grateful if you got back to me thanks very much

Louisa x