Author Topic: Help looking for Family Descendants of Lifeboatman James McBay Johnshaven  (Read 69965 times)

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Re: Help looking for Family Descendants of Lifeboatman James McBay Johnshaven
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Anyone who has posted to this topic should try and get a copy of LEOPARD, the Magazine for North-East Scotland -- issue February 2011
LEOPARD carries a very detailed article by Eileen Townsend about the crew of the lifeboat James Marsh that capsized outside Johnshaven harbour on 21st December 1920. The lifeboat was returning after rescuing crew of the Danish barquentine Fredensborg wrecked in St Cyrus Bay.  The cox was John McBay who survived the disaster.
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 24 March 11 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Johnner kid,
I cannot get a copy of the magazine down in London and tried several places up in Scotland but no joy, any ideas how I can obtain a copy!!!
Regardss
Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 24 March 11 16:53 GMT (UK) »
macca 14,
Hi Wendy,
I have found "Harry's" birth on Scotlands people and the 1891 census,
Henry Sheret McBay b.1887 Benholm Kincardine, 253/00 0054 you can obtain a copy of the birth from SP on a pay as you go system.
You are right regarding the ship that Henry(Harry) sailed on was the Miltiades from London 1911.
There is another Henry Sheret McBay b.1914 Lerwick,Scot. who sailed to Melbourne on the ORFORD,2 Feb 1929, two of his brothers had already gone to Australia in 1927, John David and George Douglas MCBAY, their parents were John MCB and Edith Jane Blyth and they were living in GRT.Yarmouth,England at the time.
As I have said above scotlandspeople.org.uk is the official site for all Scottish history.
I have a copy of the 1891 Scotland census for David and Ann MCB. and there family and I will send you a copy by PM.
I have got myself quite confused trying to sort this line of the MCBAYS out, so forgive me if I have made any more mistakes and let me know. Unfortunately age and IT do not sit together to well.
Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 24 March 11 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Foggman,
Not sure if I can post the address of the publisher here.
The magazine was on sale in shop in Montrose last month when I was briefly up north attending the funeral of family friend.  I'll send you a personal message.
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 25 March 11 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Johnner kid,
I cannot get a copy of the magazine down in London and tried several places up in Scotland but no joy, any ideas how I can obtain a copy!!!
Regardss

Try their website -

http://www.leopardmag.co.uk/

Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 25 March 11 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Leopard magazine article is all sorted, many thanks.
All I have to do now is try and sort out all the names and their families. I am sure I am related to most of the crew members of the James Marsh Lifeboat  which capsized in 1920. The article was clear and the line-up picture of the crew members was great.
There are too many James'/John's/Geoge's/Alexander's/Thomas',
MCBAY/BLUES/RITCHIE/STEPHEN are surnames in my line.
Can anyone help me sort them out.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 25 March 11 18:50 GMT (UK) »
hi Foggyman  :)

can you list the names of the crew ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 26 March 11 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ev,
Yes I can,but I am a very poor/slow typist and it may take a while to do: James Marsh Lifeboat 21 Dec 1920.
Crew List as follows:-
John McBay Coxswain.(3c2r?)
George McBay 2nd Cox.(2c3r?)
Thomas Blues No1 Boatman.(2c3r)? oldest member of crew, wife Isabella Soutar?
James Dixon. unknown
Barclay Cargill.unknown
James D McBay, I think the middle name should be "Mearns".( if so, 3c2r?)
Thomas Blues No2 (son of No1,if so,3c2r)?
John Ritchie.( about 5 John's in Johnshaven at the time,possibly all related?)
John William Stephen Marr.to Jean Bell Blues (3c2r).I have managed to sort this one out.
Alexander McBay.(Possible b.1879 Johnshaven, maybe known as "Cy BEY", if so 3c2r?)
John Mearns McBay.(Possible b.1877,marr. to Helen Mackie Blues, if so both are cousins,JMMB(3c2r), Helen(2c3r)
Robert Paton, unknown.
The lady who wrote the article in the Feb,2011 issue of the Leopard Magazine is Eileen Townsend who I have had connections with in the past and I believe she maybe be a subscriber to Rootschat, but I am not sure how to find her.
I do apologise for not being able to understand how to use these Forums very well but age and IT do not sit very well together and I do try my best before posting.
The article that Eilleen has written is a very moving account of the rescue with snippets of the crew that lead me to believe that I may be related to possibly all that crew on the day of the fatal capsize of the lifeboat James Marsh.
The attached picture is of the Dedication Service and Memorial to all members of the RNLI who gave their lives saving others.
I got there in the end, to me typing this was a marathon!!!

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 26 March 11 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ev,
In the end I forgot to add the pictures!!!