Author Topic: Help looking for Family Descendants of Lifeboatman James McBay Johnshaven  (Read 69959 times)

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help looking for Family Descendants of Lifeboatman James McBay Johnshaven
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 November 09 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louisa,
I would say that it is 99% certain that we have a connection,the village of Johnshaven in the Parish of Benholm,Kincardine and the village of Miltonhaven in the Parish of St.Cyrus is where the MCBAY/BEY line established itself after migrating down (we believe) from Banffshire.
If you can give me any information on your grandfather's parents I should be able to confirm our connection as my records do not cover many of the families after the first world war,except my own line to the present day.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Mike
Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Offline louisamurphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 November 09 15:59 GMT (UK) »
I am heading up to Brechin next weekend to see my father, so hopefully he will be able to shed some light on more family names.. hopefully I should return armed with loads of enlightening information.. will post names etc as soon as I get back.. hopefully I can find out something that will be of benefit to us both. I am struggling to get my grandfathers birth lines at present, but my father will be able to help me there. will keep you posted and thanks for getting back to me

Louisa x

Offline johnerloon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello,  I am a very new member on this site, and reading it is great! My mother was Elizabeth Helen Mc Bay. the daughter of Edward Scales McBay, who was the son of Charles McBay and Elsie Jarvis.My mother's mother was Jane Bell Wood Who died in the 1920,s I believe.As a very young merchant seaman in the early 60's I remember visiting Harry Mc Bay in Auburn,Sydney, Australia. He had extensive family ties around Woolongong, I believe.
             A very interesting person to contact about the family tree, is an author who lives in Johnshaven, with whom I share a maternal gg grandmother. Her name is Aileen Townsend, and I reckon she knows more about the family than anybody I know! Hope to hear from any kin! Regards, Johnerloon

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Johnerloon,
Elizabeth Helen McBay b.1921,d.1997, is my 4c1removed, I believe she married a William Murray Wilkie and they may have had 6 children,I do not have a country.
Our common ancestor will be Alexander Mcbay/Christian Ritchie (my 4xGrt.Grandparents) My line is from their son Thomas who marr.Martha Davidson 1835 Garvoc,St.Cyrus,3xGGparents,son John who marr. Catherine McKenzie 1857 Sunderland,Durham,UK,2xGGparents, son John(William) who marr. ANN JANE (Elizabeth) FINCH,Sunderland 1880, their daughter MARTHA (grandmother) and Alexander WYLLIE (Grandfather) marr. (unknown) had 4 children in Newcastle,Northumberland.
I would like to share information with you.
Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Offline johnerloon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hullo Fogeyman, You are correct about my mother, and father, William Murray Wilkie, wh was from Aberdeen. My maternal Grandad,  Edward Scales Mc Bay, had for brothers. James, who lived in Dunoon, Alexander, who was a ganger on the Forth Bridge and lived in Dalmeny, Tom, who lived in Greenock and William, who had a fishmongers Buisness in Aberdeen There was also a sister Elizabeth Jane, who was married to Jimmy Simpson a lighthouse keeper. I am the oldest son of Elizabeth and William's six offspring. I do believe there are more McBays in Canada and Australia than there are in U.K! Cheers, Johnnerloon

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 March 10 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Johnerloon,
I have sent you a private mail so you can contact me direct.
I am interested in the Harry McBay you mentioned as I have not come across that name before.
You say that Edward had four brothers but there were another two who died as infants I believe.

Offline johnerloon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 March 10 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Foggyman, tks for the mail. Harry Mc Bay, who emigrated to Aus early 1900,s was  a brother to a David Mc Bay, who left U.K. at the same time as Harry. I believe they were cousins of my grandfather, Edward Scales McBay, David was known by the name "Snowy". Harry was married to a lady called "Nan" who hailed from Kirkintilloch, originally, I believe. They lived at 34, Killeen Street, Auburn, Clyde, Sydney, and I visited them on at least 3 occassions, between 1960 and 1962, when I was a deck apprentice with the P'O-Orient line, carrying "£10 Pomms" to Aus.Harry must have been in his 70,s then, I know he made a last visit to Johnshaven, when I cannot tell,As by that time I was serving abroad in the Army. I think he died soon after returning home to Aus.My mother called him "Uncle Harry".
                     U are correct about there being 2 other brothers to my grandfather, both dying in infancy, I believe they were Charles and David, but I will check the gravestone in johnshaven when I am there at the weekend, and send u  details of names,dates etc, Hope this is of some help
                      Cheers for now, Johnerloon

Offline macca14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Me and my dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 March 11 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Johnerloon and Foggyman,
I rang my dad (John McBay) son of John David McBay and Anetta Rooke, Gson of John McBay and Edith Jane Blyth, to ask him about "Uncle Harry" as I remembered stories being told by my Grandparents and this is how Dad clarified your missing Harry McBay.

Dad remembers visiting his Uncle Harry out at Auburn in Sydney but can't remember the name of his Aunt, they had a son Murray who Dad believes still lives in Sydney and a daughter Vera.  Harry's brother David has a son David who was known as "Young David" who served on HMAS Australia when hit by a kamakaze pilot during WWII and later worked in the Navy dockyard after retiring.  Dad thinks he had three daughters and a son. David also had  daughters Jeanette, lived in St. Mary's; Margaret; June who lived in Bega NSW and son Rodney who married Marge Whittey and lived in Auburn with their two sons.

Mary McKenzie was Harry & David's sister, her daughter Jenny Dunn lived in the same street as Harry in Auburn (I met Jenny many times at my grandparents home in Blacktown)

Harry & David's other brother, John McBay married Edith Blyth and had George Douglas, John David, Ann Douglas, Henry Sheret and Walter Ernest.

Hope that helps, but if you need any more info please contact me.
Cheers
Wendy  :)
McMullen/Portland Australia/Wicklow Ireland
Yeoman/Portland Australia/Devonshire England
Spiken/Portland Australia/Yorkshire England
McBay/Johnshaven Scotland
Blyth/Gt Yarmouth England
Rooke/Adelong Australia/London
Cupitt/New South Wales

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 March 11 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy,
Many thanks for the information.
Would "HARRY" be Henry Sheret MCBAY b.1 Nov 1887 Johnshaven, who marr. Annie MURRAY c1917 Australia.
Henry d.28 Jul 1968 Australia? He retired in 1959 and sailed to Australia with his wife on 18 Aug 1959 departing from London onboard ship "Stratheden" bound for Sydney. Annie b.23 Nov 1892,d.1975 Australia?
I have details of 2 children with a possible third child? as follows:- David Alexander MCBAY b.1918 Australia.
                 Murray Douglas MCBAY b.? Australia
                 Third  ??? is this the Vera you mentioned??
So Wendy that would make you my 5C1R* according to my FH program. Our common ancestor will be Alexander McBay b.1769 and Christian Ritchie b.1783 of Miltonhaven and Johnshaven. There is a lot more available if you are interested.