Author Topic: Yeovil death 1940 - F J LILLEYMAN  (Read 3256 times)

Offline CFP39

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Yeovil death 1940 - F J LILLEYMAN
« on: Friday 04 September 09 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

Can anyone help with local information on details this death?

Francis John Lillyman is buried in Yeovil Cemetery, he died on 6/11/1940 while serving in Bomb Disposal.

Am compiling details of all those named on war memorial in village of my birth.  Don't have contact with any family members.

The results are going onto a 'work in progress' web site.   

Any help appreciated. :D

Regards
Lee
Watford/Rickmansworth - Payne, Paddick, Gurney, Green, Nichol(l)s
Hindringham/Norfolk - Sands, Southgate
Newbury, Berks. - Pocock, Salter
Sevenoaks area Kent - Nash, Wicking, White
Cranbrook area Kent - Hayward
Ash/Windlesham, Surrey - Chitty/Chittie, Harwood

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Yeovil death 1940 - F J LILLEYMAN
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 September 09 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Lee,

Have you seen the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site? http://www.cwgc.org

There is a record of the death of Francis Lillyman on this. It shows he was a Corporal in the Royal Engineers, service number 1870478. He was aged 21 at date of death. He is buried at Yeovil Cemetery, Div A. Grave.

The Roll of Honour states his birthplace as NW London and residence as Kent.

I should think that the National Archives would hold his service papers which would give more details.

Jo

Offline CFP39

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 September 09 23:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jo

Yes, I have all the CWGC site info.   :)

What I really would like to know is if he was killed in an air raid or while dealing with a UXB.

Thought that the event might have been reported in local press?

Haven't had much luck finding my way around NA, and can't afford to spend money on certificates for this site.   :(  Not even sure if details I want would be on a death certificate.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Regards
Lee
Watford/Rickmansworth - Payne, Paddick, Gurney, Green, Nichol(l)s
Hindringham/Norfolk - Sands, Southgate
Newbury, Berks. - Pocock, Salter
Sevenoaks area Kent - Nash, Wicking, White
Cranbrook area Kent - Hayward
Ash/Windlesham, Surrey - Chitty/Chittie, Harwood

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 September 09 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Lee,

Sorry not to have been more helpful on this.

It might be worth enquiring of the Somerset Record Office in Taunton as to which local paper(s) would have covered this and do they have these there.

I found a website http://www.yeoviltown.com/warmemorial/worldwar2.aspx
This has details of Yeovil citizens killed in the WW1/2. I clicked on the names and the details of each of the deaths come up on these. It appears that there were a number of air raids on Yeovil, many in late 1940. There seem to have been a large number of casualties, in the raid of 8 October 1940 especially.

You might get an idea from this site, it mentions a Westlands factory at Yeovil, which would have been a target for the Luftwaffe.

There are many references to The Western Gazette and this may be the source you should look at.

Jo

Offline FOSIIL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 November 09 14:03 GMT (UK) »
1870478 Corporal

Francis John Lillyman.

7 Bomb Disposal Company.

Royal Engineers.

Son of John Richard Lillyman and of Eva Louisa Lillyman of Biggin Hill Kent.

Died on the 6th November 1940. Aged 21.

Buried at Yeovil Cemetery, Somerset.
Division A. Grave 2596.

Lieutenant D. Adam, Lance Corporal C.W.E. Andrews and Corporal F.J. Lillyman’s who died together whilst digging down to a bomb are buried alongside each other in Yeovil Cemetery.
Main area of interest is Royal Engineers, mainly in connection with Bomb Disposal and its predecessor Explosive Ordnance Disposal.

Offline Patricia Batchelder

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Lee -

You researched some names of war fatalities quite a while ago.  I have been looking for information about my uncle, Francis John Lillyman, who was in a UXB squadron and killed in June 1940.  Have you been able to find any information about him?

Patricia Batchelder

Offline FOSIIL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am the Secretary for the Royal Engineers Bomb Disposal Branch.

If you check out the Roll of Honour at reabd.org.uk there is some information not a lot I’m afraid

Regards
Pete
Main area of interest is Royal Engineers, mainly in connection with Bomb Disposal and its predecessor Explosive Ordnance Disposal.

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 September 18 14:51 BST (UK) »
Expanding Fosiil's comment, but as to why 3 of them were buried at Yeovil...? I think there may be an error on the REABD sitei n that  Driver Holden's death was registered in Rugby whereas the other 3 were registered at Yeovil. Possibly they lost there lives in a similar situation but at Yeovil not Coventry ( Fossil /Pete can you check?)
 All three were digging down to a UXB when it exploded.

At times the fuzes on unexploded bombs were not visible or to badly damaged to be dealt with, also it was possible that the fuze pocket would snap and disappear into the explosive fill. On these occasions the base plate could be removed and the explosive filling removed to find the fuze. On the 6th November 1940, 9 Bomb Disposal Company, based in Coventry were dealing with an unexploded bomb in this category at Binley Sand Pits. As this work was being carried out the bomb detonated Driver C. Holden was killed, Lieutenant L. Meynell and his Lance Sergeant were severely injured. Lieutenant Meynell recalled his trench coat was shredded and the Lance Sergeant had a hole in his shoulder you could almost see through. Lieutenant Meynell was awarded the George Medal for this incident and for work on unexploded bombs at Smith’s Stamping Works, Coventry on the 8th October 1940. Also on the 16th October 1940 at an RAF base at Church Lawford, Warwickshire.

Details from Bomb Disposal Casualties of WW11. Chris Ranstead.

Lieutenant L. Meynell and the Lance Sergeant managed to drag themselves and Driver C. Holden’s body to their truck. However before they were able to drive of an ambulance arrived. Lieutenant Meynell was deeply affected by the death of Driver Holden. Who he remembers as being a very happy go lucky kind of boy, who was always smiling.

Danger UXB. M. J. Jappy.

Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)