Author Topic: Helping others  (Read 1145 times)

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Helping others
« on: Saturday 05 September 09 21:34 BST (UK) »
Am i the only one who gets the hump?, when after doing some searching for people or helping in some way, they never even make an acknowledgement that it has helped or solved their problem,

i must admit it doesn't bother me so much when they don't reply to mine as i just make a mental note not to bother again, but it probably annoys me more reading through posts i see other Roots members spending a lot of time and their own subscriptions and people cannot be bothered to put the same amount of effort into replying as they have done posting in the first place, sadly its not only new members who are guilty,
i think i have mentioned it before people who go into the photo restoration forum and use the talents of those clever people wouldn't dream of not saying thanks etc would they?

or as i say is it just me being picky?

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: Helping others
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 September 09 21:41 BST (UK) »
or as i say is it just me being picky?

I don't think so.  It's called good manners, and sadly they can be in short supply  :-\

On the other hand, there are people who will come back weeks later and tell you the outcome of something you helped with.  Which is lovely  :D :D

I think you've already found the best response to those who don't say 'thank you'

i just make a mental note not to bother again

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 September 09 21:46 BST (UK) »
Yes Linda it is good to know when people have found the missing links, and you get to hear about it, i didn't even want to think it was a sign of the times, because as you say good manners ;)

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 September 09 07:11 BST (UK) »
I wonder if sometimes it may be because an answer has been made with info the poster already has so they haven't bothered replying. :(

I know for my part I will reply, simply because, even if I have already got that info, the replier has made an effort and has confirmed what I have, and you never know I may need their help again.

Of course there may be a very good reason for someone not replying. Perhaps they don't go come on this site very much, although I cannot think why not  :'( or perhaps they are unable to for one reason or another.

Jean 
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 September 09 17:23 BST (UK) »

i think i have mentioned it before people who go into the photo restoration forum and use the talents of those clever people wouldn't dream of not saying thanks etc would they?

Oh but some of them don't bother saying thanks after you spend ages restoring a photo.....guess it happens all over  :-\ 

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 September 09 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hello all, I could never begin to thank all the wonderful people who have helped me since I joined Rootschat. How can I possibly thank people who have helped me find elusive ancestors?  It's been a very difficult journey for those of us who never knew anything about our roots in England!  When I started many years ago, all I knew was my Father's legal name and place and  date of birth.   :o   however, in reading so many cries for help over the years, I believe that I am more fortunate than some who knew less than that when they started out.  I guess what I'm trying to say - but not very well - is that a BIG thank you to all of you wonderful folks who help each and every day!  I am wondering if some people don't respond because they could be in shock or disbelief at what some of the wonderful Rootschatters are able to uncover for them???  For some people, I am sure, it is such an eye-opener that they somehow forget to say thanks......if I ever have forgotten, I do apologize profusely.  I do volunteer work for some other free genealogy sites and in some cases, I have told folks to try Rootschat because there are SO MANY fantastic people that willingly help those who are struggling..... For those wonderful helpers, please continue to help!  In some cases, you can never know how life-changing the information you pass on is!  THANK YOU!  Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 September 09 01:22 BST (UK) »

Oh but some of them don't bother saying thanks after you spend ages restoring a photo.....guess it happens all over  :-\ 

Terry

now THAT WOULD p*** me of seriously and deserve to be TOLD!!
i posted a photo and was over the moon with the results and to be honest i would have guilt if i didn't reply to each person
that took the time and trouble to bring back to life something so personal to me.

patrexjax looking at your posts i dont think anyone could accuse you of not being anything but grateful ;)
as i mentioned i doubt many people on here help for the sake of getting a slap on the back, but does make it worthwhile
when they report back how it helped them kick on,  reading old posts the other day i noticed someone had come back after 2 YEARS and my impression was they were only saying thanks as they wanted help again, i take your point Pat that some do maybe forget, but that example the person said thanks for the help they received in blah blah, now ...... lol