Author Topic: Where was Claringbold - Isle of Thanet?  (Read 13533 times)

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Where was Claringbold - Isle of Thanet?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 June 12 22:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Giles4 for that it certainly gives some idea of the scale of the place

You are most kind and if you need any help in the Oxfordshire area please let me know ;D
Cheers
Jackie
Devon: Hortop, Phillips, Palmer, (Lamerton area)
Derbyshire: Hancock, Widdowson (Sheffield area)
Suffolk:Ratcliff ,Howlett, (Lowestoft area)
Kent:Ratcliff (Ramsgate area)
Norfolk: Stout, Fiske

Offline Tamas

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hello there, are you still seeking information about Claringbold?  I stumbled across an old pamphlet giving information about Alexander House School issued to the parents of prospective boarders.  It Lists the curriculum and aim of the school along with some photos of the buildings and grounds amongst other details.

I just registered onto the site to enable me to post this to you.  I was a border there briefly between 1958/9.

Let me know if it is of interest to you and I'll attempt to attach it.

Tamas

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 22:10 BST (UK) »
Dear Tamas,
Welcome to Rootschat.
Thank you very much for your post. I have sent you a personal message with my details and if you are able to let me have a copy of the pamphlet I would be most grateful
Best wishes
Jackie :D
Devon: Hortop, Phillips, Palmer, (Lamerton area)
Derbyshire: Hancock, Widdowson (Sheffield area)
Suffolk:Ratcliff ,Howlett, (Lowestoft area)
Kent:Ratcliff (Ramsgate area)
Norfolk: Stout, Fiske

Offline sdjofkent

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 August 18 22:54 BST (UK) »
Bit of a long shot as I see the last post was some time ago. I'm looking into the history of Green Lane just round the corner from St Peters Road and where Flaring old would have been. Just wondered if anyone has any old photos of the road? These days there a mix of houses along the street, 1900s one side, 1930s the other, with properties bookending which could be slightly earlier. Many thanks Shaun :)

Offline MariaMack

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 17:55 BST (UK) »
I am late into this chat.
My mum went to Alexander house schools I would love to know where in a current map it is please?
Also Tamas if you have a copy of the school pamphlet I would love to see it please

Thanks

Offline Gabriella Coleman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Senior IT Test Manager, Amateur Photographer, Astronomy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hello anyone who went to Alexander house school in 1959 - 1960
I attended there when I was 8 yrs old and can still remember it quite well. I was a boarder
and had some great times there.
I met a wonderful person called Yvonne Hall who had also two brothers at the school called Geoffrey and Michael. Does anyone also go to that school at that time and remember them?
I would love some photos of the place if anyone has any, as I now know it no longer exists, as I tried looking on google Maps.
I remember the church we went to every Sunday in Latin, I believe. We each had threepence to put into the plate when it came around.
At weekends when in summertime we were taken to the beach in a minibus (Great fun)
Any info would be nice thanks.  :) :)

Offline Gabriella Coleman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Senior IT Test Manager, Amateur Photographer, Astronomy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 11:42 BST (UK) »
Here is a sketch plan (not to scale) of the ground floor of the original house. Sizes of rooms are approximate (from memory, all that remains, alas) and you'll see that they were very large by to-day's standards.

Apart from making a way through to the later school buildings, very little was changed.  However, in the room marked as "Study" there was a small window high in the wall between the French window and the door. The sister of Mr Green, headmaster of the school, told me that originally  there had been a small room with a WC and washbasin there.

Upstairs, the main bedrooms corresponded exactly with the three main reception rooms. In addition there was a smaller bedroom or perhaps  dressing- room (c.12x12) over the front door and between the two largest bedrooms.

Over the kitchen was a bathroom, large storage cupboard and servant's bedroom.  Over the downstairs servants' sitting rom and applestore was another bedroom with bathroom/lavatory attached. This may have been for another servant or perhaps for a poor relation!

All doors and the staircase were of mahogany, and beautifully made. Some ceilings had mouldings.  It was a lovely place.

A number of well-to-do people had houses for summer months in Broadstairs. The most exalted was the then Princess Royal (daughter of Edward VII) who was also Duches of Fife.   North Foreland lodge was her summer residence. This later became a school (for senior girls in this case) as did many larger Broadstairs properties..including, of course, Claringbold.

I hope your researches go well.
I am an ex pupil can you send me any details of my old school. I was there when 8 yrs old?TMCYDB

Offline Denise42

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 July 22 22:30 BST (UK) »
Claringbold Cottage was owned by Edward Maxwell Stephens from 1851 until his death in 1865. Edward was the brother of the popular Regency opera singer, Kitty Stephens. I am researching Kitty and her family and would be very grateful if Giles4 would allow me to use his photo of the house as an illustration for a privately published, not-for-profit little book to distribute among Edward's descendants.