Author Topic: can you find nelson family  (Read 2001 times)

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
can you find nelson family
« on: Sunday 06 September 09 07:33 BST (UK) »
hi all
i have a family missing in 1861
they are
matthew nelson abt 1836 preston
jane abt 1839 yorkshire
mary h abt 1855  york
john f abt 1857   york
esther abt 1859   york

in 1871 they are in st peter le willows york
1881 st mary castlegate york
1891 st margarets york
1901 they are in st peter and st margaret.
the son matthew william nelson abt 1876 is missing though and i would also like to find him 1901

thanks

perth :) :)
davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sunman Sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: can you find nelson family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 September 09 09:08 BST (UK) »

RG13 4193/132/15

80 Garnet Road Hunslet West Riding Yorks

Matthew Wm Nelson 25 electrical engineer b York Yorks
Maria 22 wife b Selby Yorks
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 September 09 09:39 BST (UK) »

RG13 4193/132/15

80 Garnet Road Hunslet West Riding Yorks

Matthew Wm Nelson 25 electrical engineer b York Yorks
Maria 22 wife b Selby Yorks

thanks isobelruss
i take it you got that from somewhere other than ancestry. on ancestry it says

masthen wm ritson and maria ritson of lelby

thanks again hope you can find the 1861 as well

yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 September 09 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Perth
Im scouring the 61 discs for Yorks as we speak.Got the 1901 from findmypast.

Isy ;D
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 September 09 10:59 BST (UK) »
Ive trawled RG9 3552-3554 covering all the areas they were living  but cant see a trace of them.Although there is a Francis Mercer 31 cordwainer on Navigation Road Walmgate in 61 .any relation to Jane?

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 September 09 12:02 BST (UK) »
Ive trawled RG9 3552-3554 covering all the areas they were living  but cant see a trace of them.Although there is a Francis Mercer 31 cordwainer on Navigation Road Walmgate in 61 .any relation to Jane?

i think that is the father of jane. in 1851 the best match for jane is with francis and maria mercer.
they are in hewsons yard just off coppergate in all saints pavement.
im sure they wont be far away from york

yorkshire

Offline snelson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 May 13 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hello,

The Nelson family have a big family in Sheriff Hutton (York) for approx &  surrounding villages. We have been present in that area for approx 250 years, there are lots of Nelson in that area & Im
 sure Francis and Mercer are in my tree !

I would like to exchange any information you may have

Thanks Simon

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon and welcome to Rootschat...when you have posted 3 messages you will be able to send a Personal Message to Perth where you can exchange personal details...He lives in Oz.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline snelson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 May 13 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I will have a look in my tree and see if I can help you all. There are hundreds of Nelsons all around York & Malton and surrounding villages, we were first there around late 1700,s to early 1800,s. Where we settled in Sherriff Hutton, Terrington. In some birth, death and marriage records these are recorded as Malton/Bulmer as that was the parish/district.

Prior to that my Gt Gt Gt Gt Gt grandfather was William Nelson who was based in Ripon as were the family. My research is still ongoing and is eye opening !! The research team has admitted that they have never dealt with such a big family who with each generation predominantly produce several male children (in some cases 15 kids !)

The name NELSON means (son of Nel) who apparently was a scandanavian, & the name was first recorded in England in Wakefield, Yorkshire in the year circa 1240.

I am pretty sure that we have never moved far from Yorkshire (with the exception of the odd family member who may have moved area, or joined the army & died at war) I would stick my neck out and say that most Nelsons around the York area are definately related but as my research is still gathering pace I cannot say for definite.

Im happy to share any information that will help you and I will of course revert back to you once I have answers to your questions.

Simon Nelson