Author Topic: Janet Sharp  (Read 9599 times)

Offline 707nylon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Janet Sharp
« on: Sunday 06 September 09 12:52 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother Janet Sharp was born 5/5/1830 in Alloa. I have found her on the 1841 Scottish Census with members of her family. The head of household is John Sharp who I presume is her Father, but  there is no sign of her Mother. The youngest Child is 4 so Mother  may have died between 1837 and 1841.

I am new to Genealogy and do not know where to look for earlier information about the family. Can anybody, please advise me of the next step to take?

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Janet Sharp
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 September 09 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RC!!

Scotlands People:

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

is a pay to view site but the indexes are free nad the prices reasonable. you can also print out certs.
janet Sharp is liosted as born 5/5/1830 Clackmannan to John Sharp & Margaret Hunter.

you should now be able to find their Marriage and possibly other children.
the Clackmannanshire surnames list:

http://www.dgnscrn.demon.co.uk/genuki/CLK/misc/surnames/

also lists a lot of Sharps. I have some by marriage in my Cook Family but further back.

If you require further help about a particular person feel free to ask. we are a clever lot!! nad love to help!!

Diddy  ;D
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 September 09 19:32 BST (UK) »
Margaret sharps death is also on SP - i didn't look at full entry but 1 credit got me the date - 24/12/1840 so you were right. the full entry may give further info so worth looking.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Alvagirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Copied from an ambrotype of unidentified ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 September 09 19:37 BST (UK) »
Welcome 707pylon

A good place to start is the first forum on RootsChat, For Beginners http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,47.0.html.

Basically, start from what you know for sure and work backwards.

eg How do you know that she was "born 5 May 1830 in Alloa"? If she is in 1841 census how do you know that is her? Do you have her death certificate and/or marriage certificate to confirm this? If in Scotland, both should detail her parents' names, including maiden name of mother. For a newbie you have done well to start with an 1830 birth, but all needs confirmed. Do please work backwards.

I see your Janet SHARP from 1841 census on both FreeCen & ancestry as 11 yrs old in a household headed by a John SHARP (adult ages rounded down that year). In the 1851 Census on Ancestry there is a John SHARP b Clackmannan, Clackmannanshire, age 48 [so b ab 1803] with wife Elizabeth, and dau Janet also there, she is age 20 with what looks like twin Catherine. John is a 'Cooling overseer' which is probably a mis-transcription of 'Colliery overseer' - ie he worked mining coal. He may have gone to Forfar, Angus if in 1861 census he is coal merchant with 2nd wife Elizabeth and younger children; couldn't find him quickly in 1871 in Scotland so that might give you window to find his death.

Coal mining was a big industry in Clackmannanshire at that time. I have looked at copy of pre-1855 MIs in Clackmannanshire and altho I couldn't find John SHARP, SHARP as a surname is the 2nd most frequent burial in Clackmannan Churchyard. One entry interested me, a chap PATERSON who is buried with wife Ann SHARP, and he is 'late underground manage, Alloa coal company'
My hunch is that you could have an interesting family with potentially lots of local names in "The Wee County" (as Clackmannanshire is known, circumference about 44 miles - yep, long name for a wee county so nowadays we just type Clacks).
And my apols if I bang on about Clacks, but just spent today taking advantage of 'Doors Open Day' and been mooching around closed mausoleum & old graveyard.

If you can firm up on her death & marriage, then I can check MIs.

Also, watch placenames. Currently the local authority area is Clackmannanshire, the main town is Alloa, but historically it was the Clackmannan the main town. In 1891 it became the County of Clackmannan(shire) and the four Parishes were Alloa, Clackmannan, Tillicoultry & Dollar (plus odds & sods).
For more detail on Clacks, google genuki.

Free & subscription sites can be great, but ye cannae whack the originals held in national archives in Edinburgh. Some of these also available online pay-per-view at ScotlandsPeopleCentre - just don't let your credits run away with you!

Aberdeenshire: GARDEN, BEATTIE, DUNN, DAVIDSON, BRAIK, JAFFRAY; JAMIESON, THOM, HAY, SCOTT
Morayshire: MACKAY, MURRAY, KENNEDY, ROSS, SMITH, MILNE; MORRISON, STEWART, PENNY, DEAN, McCONNACHIE

Offline 707nylon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 September 09 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Diddy

Thank you for your very helpful information. Now that I have Margaret Hunter and the links you gave me I feel I can go further. Thanks for the offer of further help.

Hi Alvagirl

I have entries in the Family bible presumably written by Janet, giving her date of birth and the date she married William Roberts i.e.7/8/1830. Also there is a list of her children which includes my grandmother. The bible does not indicate where they were married but the family were all born in Liverpool. Also her twin sister is mentioned in other documents i have and she also spent her adult life in Liverpool.

I shall try to find John now in 1851 census.

Thanks for all the information. I hope to contact you again in the future.

707nylon

Offline 707nylon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 September 09 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Alvagirl

I realise I put the wrong date of Janet's marriage. I should be 7/8/1855.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 September 09 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

As you thought, the marriage of William Roberts and Janet Sharp shows in Liverpool:

Marriages 3rd Qrt 1855
Roberts William  in  Liverpool  Vol. 8b Pg.57 - also included on the page is Janet Sharp

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 September 09 22:59 BST (UK) »
With Alvagirl's comment on whether John Sharp moved to Forfar with family and being hard to find in the 1871 census, this looks a possible last will & testament entry for him on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Sharp John, 21/08/1867,   Coal Merchant in Forfar, Forfar Sheriff Court   SC47/40/34

If you can confirm it is the right John, you can purchase the will (15 pages) on the above link - 5GB.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 707nylon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 September 09 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica
I'm slightly overwhelmed with all the information and help I have received so far, but thank you for your contribution.  I haven't had time to check and add  the details to my records on Ancestry yet  (I'm a bit slow finding my way round) Thanks for the info about the will.

707nylon