Author Topic: Who should the Family Bible be handed down to?  (Read 65596 times)

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Who should the Family Bible be handed down to?
« Reply #36 on: Friday 21 December 07 09:27 GMT (UK) »
These days, with photocopiers, digital cameras, scanners, and all manner of gadgets, I think it would make sense to copy all the family information, make hard and soft copies, and then send the actual book to the person who seems most interested and capable of caring for it, or, preferably, a library/archive if they are interested.  There is no reason why everyone can't have their own copies these days.  To care for an original is a responsibility, and needs to go to the person/organization best equipped to do so.  Personally I have no need for originals of anything except photos, as long as the copy is clear.

(But I sure would like to find the family bible owned by Adam Murray, who was born in Castleton Scotland in 1808 and died in 1900 in Chicago, apparently at the home of his son Charles!)  It is mentioned in the History of Middlex County (Ontario), so we know it did exist.  -- just thought I'd throw that in here in the vain hope that some day someone who knows the answer will be searching through rootschat...
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline LynnsBookshelf

• RootsChat Extra
  • I’m gonna take them down to the Cadillac Ranch
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 10 March 08 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Loo,

If you don't already have it, I found the 1900 US Census info for Adam Murray. Let me know if you would like a copy .

Lynn McGoldrick Franger
Aurora, Illinois
McGoldrick - Donegal Town, O'Brien - Howth, Flynn, Quirk, Manning, Mangan - Ireland

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 10 March 08 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Actually, I do not have that information, Lynn;  somehow did not occur to me to look for it, I guess.  Adam didn't die until November, so it would make sense that he would be on the census.  He was living in Canada before that.

So, yes, I would appreciate having that family's census info.  You could send it by PM, I suppose, so as to avoid cluttering this thread.  Now you've got me wondering whether the son, Charles, shows up on subsequent censuses!  I had thought it hopeless because the name is too common, but if the 1900 gives an address, then that could give me a start.  Maybe I'll find that Bible yet!

Thanks!
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 10 March 08 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Loo,
Hope springs eternal, you never know what another lead might throw up!   Hopefully, a family bible...
keith

Offline LynnsBookshelf

• RootsChat Extra
  • I’m gonna take them down to the Cadillac Ranch
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 10 March 08 17:53 GMT (UK) »
I'll PM that info to you.

Lynn
McGoldrick - Donegal Town, O'Brien - Howth, Flynn, Quirk, Manning, Mangan - Ireland

Offline ourbill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 10 March 08 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Family Bibles can be a mine of family details but they can be also a way of hiding things that the holder of the Bible doesn't wish others to know! The Bible can then be kept in that branch of the family and access can be denied to others. As with my mother's side of the family history. Knowledge is power.
Emerson: Leicestershire, Chipping Norton, Worcester, Birmingham
Hughes: Worcester
Todd: Worcester
Rees: Ammanford. Pembroke, Lancashire Wigan
Harries: Llandilofawr, Ammanford

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 03:32 GMT (UK) »
My advice to anyone who has a bible or photo album, or anything connected to a family that doesn't belong in your family. If it has names and dates in...try and trace them, and  try to get them back to their rightful family...it really makes you feel good about yourself, and it brings such joy to others. ;)

A nice thought - some people would like to help, while others.......................................

My ancestral family lived in the same house for 100 years. When the last descendant died, the house was pulled down. I was speaking to the neighbouring family and they showed me "my" family bible that the last descendant had given them some years prior. I politely inquiried if they wanted it, or would it be possible for me to take possession of "my" family bible. They said I could look at it, and take take notes, but they would not give it to me.

A couple of years later I wrote to those neighbours indicating if the family bible was just gathering dust around the house, I would take it off their hands. I included my address, phone and email. I received no replies whatsoever.

Unfortunately, those neigbours have since moved house, taking the bible with them (to my knowldege). Another piece of family history lost :(

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 03:59 GMT (UK) »
We don't have a family bible in either the Maternal or Paternal side of the family but there is a Birthday Book in the Paternal side which has come down the female line. It belonged to my G Grandmother and went my my Grandmothers youngest daughter and is now in the possesion of her daughter, my cousin.

I has been a wealth of information although a lot of it has entailed a bit of detective work such as "Sarah died 27.04.1892" no indication of who Sarah was/is though!

Handwritting and the deciphering of it has also been a bit difficult, I do however have a handwritten transcript of it and am slowly working my way through it with a varying amount of success and the discovery of an awfully lot of red herrings.

Alan NZ
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline josephinemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 01 April 08 15:11 BST (UK) »
I have many old photos, documents etc and after discussion with the family I have arranged for the local Archives to have them. Safe,secure and no-one can destroy them in a fit of temper. Always accessible to the family but safe and correctly stored. The perfect answer.Whatever you decide please don't destroy valuable information.Josephine.
Brown.Allen.Cobb.Bradshaw.Platts.Shaw.Hawcroft.Rollinson.Bowering.Rawlinson.Crayton.Boardman.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.co.uk