Author Topic: 1911 By Subscription.  (Read 17193 times)

Offline spiderboy

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Dorset Cross
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 By Subscription.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 September 09 09:51 BST (UK) »
Even if FindMyPast or NA do sell on copies of the scans the people such as Ancestry buying them will surely have to do their own transcriptions and that will take time.
I’m Researching:
CON: Chegwyn, Trayer.
DEV: Bickle, Chegwyn, Gaskin, Hill, Metter, Perry.
DOR: Butcher, Herridge, King, Pain, Palmer, Passmore.
GLS: Martin, Nelmes, Woodward, Young.
SOM: Major, Nation, Sims.
L&SWRailway: Damen, Young.
Wife Researching:
DOR: Burt, Gent, Watts.
STS: Bailey.
SAL: Dawes.
SCT: Raith, Smith, Edwardson. Mollison. Wilson. (MLN & SLI)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 September 09 09:59 BST (UK) »
Let's hope that the Ancestry transcriptions will be rather better than the ones done by Brightsolid  ::)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Iria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 September 09 10:08 BST (UK) »
I think all the Main Librarys in England should of Had Access to the 1911 Census ...Why Manchester Library was Given it and Not Liverpool as Well ...Beats Me.. When Liverpool Library has a Larger Collection of Archives

Oh well Its Looks Like Most of Us will have to Pay Over the Odds on Some Subscription site ..Unless An***sty Library Edition Manage to get the copywrites and put it online Next Year .

I think the Irish 1911 Census has been Brilliant ...thay even Gave Us a FREE Look at the census Images ..Did England NO ..

Rant over for Friday Morning

Regards

Iria
Harold Liverpool and Warwickshire
Slater Liverpool
 Murray Liverpool
Garner  Liverpool
Lister/Lester Liverpool and Cambridgeshire
Norris Liverpool and Ireland

Census Information is Crown Copyright From:
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 September 09 11:17 BST (UK) »
Let's hope that the Ancestry transcriptions will be rather better than the ones done by Brightsolid

I doubt it would be.  Ancestry transcriptions are the worst I've come across.  I thought they ship them out to the Indian continent to save money.

Nick - Can you tell us why you are so pro Ancestry and apparently anti any other FH site?

Lizzie

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 September 09 11:30 BST (UK) »
Let's hope that the Ancestry transcriptions will be rather better than the ones done by Brightsolid  ::)

There's nothing like living in hope or dreamland  ;D ;)

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline MarthaJane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 September 09 13:57 BST (UK) »
I've come across some terrible transcriptions on Ancestry but at least there is an option of correcting in and it flags up 'alternative name' or something like that.

I'm sure not if there is anything similar on 1911 but someone I know who works in National Archives says they will correct the transcription if it does not match the original but they won't change it just because you know it is incorrect (for example Hadsney for Hackney.)

I didn't look at the originals on 1911, are there a lot of mistranscriptions that you have found Nick29?
Nicholls, Devon and Glamorgan<br />Heath, Wiltshire and Glamorgan<br />Messam, Wiltshire and Glamorgan<br/> Clapham, Bender, Middlesex
Cook, Hampshire, London
Edbrook, Devon and London
Gibson, London

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 September 09 14:06 BST (UK) »
I've come across some terrible transcriptions on Ancestry but at least there is an option of correcting in and it flags up 'alternative name' or something like that.

I'm sure not if there is anything similar on 1911 but someone I know who works in National Archives says they will correct the transcription if it does not match the original but they won't change it just because you know it is incorrect (for example Hadsney for Hackney.)

I didn't look at the originals on 1911, are there a lot of mistranscriptions that you have found Nick29?

I have reported a transcription error on 1911 that has subsequently been corrected - it did take a few weeks. I have also reported several on FindMyPast which have all been corrected within a few days.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 September 09 14:08 BST (UK) »
Let's hope that the Ancestry transcriptions will be rather better than the ones done by Brightsolid

I doubt it would be.  Ancestry transcriptions are the worst I've come across.  I thought they ship them out to the Indian continent to save money.

Nick - Can you tell us why you are so pro Ancestry and apparently anti any other FH site?

Lizzie

I use three different sites - I have subs to Ancestry and The Genealogist, and I also have a lot of PPV credit that I use on the 1911 census and FindMyPast web sites.  The simple answer is that I think Ancestry are head and shoulders above the others, especially when you get to grips with the way they do things.  Ancestry is not aimed in the main for professional researchers, which is good, because I am not one, nor do I aspire to be.  Ancestry's transcriptions are not the best (the transcriptions on The Genealogist are miles better), but they are certainly miles better than those on the 1911 census site.

I've found quite a few.  On my very first attempt to find the records of my grandfather in 1911, I could find no trace of any of the family.  Fortunately I knew the address where they were living at the time (from my mother's birth certificate), otherwise I would not have found them.  A couple of the transcriptions that I found on the 1911 site were absurd, but FindMyPast refused to change them.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 September 09 14:35 BST (UK) »
especially when you get to grips with the way they do things

Nick - I think you've hit the nail on the head there.  Personally, I don't like the way they do things, especially as I think even Ancestry UK is geared towards the American market.  However, we'll have to agree to differ.

Lizzie