Author Topic: Youngs of Yetholm  (Read 10889 times)

Offline saltandpepper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Youngs of Yetholm
« on: Tuesday 08 September 09 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hello folks,

just wondering if anyone can help me please.......parts of my research have lead me to looking into youngs from yetholm during the 1700's.  My mother is directly descended from them.  I have got as far back as Charles Young of Yetholm (i think), who married Hannabel Allon? of Yetholm also i presume.  I think they married in approximately 1722, as their first born child that i can find was christened in 1724.  I cant find their marriage on the Yetholm Reels at the berwick archive office or a record of either of their christenings. (i am estimating they were prob born around 1700 - 1702).  I am therefore only able to presume that both charles and hannabel are both from yetholm. 

Therefore i am stuck with this couple and at the mo, cant get back any further than charles.

The microfilm i was using at berwick was for christenings in the county of roxburghshire pre 1855. 

Hopefully someone out there might know a bit more than me

My fingers are firmly crossed.....Thankyou for taking the time to read all of this.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Youngs of Yetholm
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry can't help going back further (at the moment) but the vital records index has the following baptisms in Yetholme which you probably have already but just in case  ???
ALL father Charles
William 11 Oct 1724 mother Hannabel ALLON
Elisabeth 8 Jan 1727 mother Mabal Allan
Jean 26 Oct 1729 mother Mabel Allon
Jean 9 Mar 1735 mother Mayball Allan
Isobel 1739 mother Mayball Allan

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline saltandpepper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 15:42 BST (UK) »
hello rosie,

thankyou very much for replying, i actually didnt have 2 of the kids you mentioned.  I must have missed them on my berwick archive visit.

Is there anyway i can access this vital records index thingy you mention from newcastle for the yetholme area??

Are you related to the youngs too or were you just being nice and helpful??

Thyanks very much again. Its very much appreciated.

John

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi John

The VRI is a disc set available from the latter day saints.   I was just being helpful but having said that I do have some Youngs up in that area but very distantly related to my OH's step mother and I haven't really looked at them.

I assume you have found the Northumberland area BT's on http://www.labs.familysearch.org/

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 September 09 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi John,
Young was a prominent name in the Yetholm Gypsy community. It may be worth following this avenue.

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 July 10 05:53 BST (UK) »
I just discovered a Young connection at Yetholm.  Curious wording in the parish register, 19 Jan 1735:  “James Middlemist and Isabell Young had a child baptized probably called Agnes".  Probably?  The parents were undecided?  Or the priest forgot?  How can I find more about Middlemist & Young families?  Thanks!
Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 July 10 16:03 BST (UK) »
Correction:  The word was smudged and hard to read.  On closer examination it say the child was "publickly called Agnes".  Was it customary to have a public name and a private one?
Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 July 10 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

Did other entries have a similar wording, or was it just this one?

It was very common for people to be known by the diminutive or pet form of a name, so Agnes was frequently Nancy, Sarah was Sally, Elizabeth was Betty, etc. Many ministers seem to have insisted on the 'official' form of names for the church register, even though they knew the family were not going to use it.
That may be the reason for the inclusion of the word 'publickly' being used in this instance.

Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 July 10 15:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Lesley.  There were some other entries with similar wording.  And research has given this explanation: Yetholm had a large Gypsy community and Young was a prominent surname among Gypsies.  It was customary for them to have a "public" name for use with outsiders and a different, private name, used only within their community.  The priest or minister was apparently familiar with that custom and recorded the public name in the church register.  This was my first hint that I have at least one Gypsy ancestor.