Author Topic: John Fletcher of Chester 1763-1835  (Read 22853 times)

Offline liverbird09

• RootsChat Veteran
  • socken
    • View Profile
Re: John Fletcher of Chester 1763-1835
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 September 09 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Brian,
You certainly have an interesting and challenging member of your family to get to know.
I have read a few editions of the Chester Chronicle, they are on film at the library in Chester and make interesting reading, a good insight into that era.

I will keep my eyes open for any further information I may come across.
Good luck
Jean

Offline Briannicus

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 September 09 11:50 BST (UK) »
Dear Jean,
Thanks for that.
Please do keep your ey open as we've never found his obituary, and surely there must be one. I'm hoping it will have at least some family details.

By the way, he's the brother of my GGGGgrandfather, James Fletcher, and his brother, Robert, the well-known Chester clockmaker whose clock still adorns Eaton Hall.

Kind regards,
Brian

Offline liverbird09

• RootsChat Veteran
  • socken
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 September 09 12:12 BST (UK) »
What a wonderful past to uncover, Brian. You must be very proud.

My ancestors came from a much more humble background but just as difficult to find.
Have you tried the Chester History & Heritage,St Michaels Church. Take a look at their website they are very helpful.  Your ancestor being such a distinguished member of Chester society would be sure to have left a fair amount of valuable information.
Best wishes
Jean

Offline Briannicus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 September 09 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,
Thanks very much for that.
I've just taken a quick look. Shall phone them tomorrow. Yes, one imagines there must be information on all of them but it's taken quite a lot of work to sort them out and find what we need, mainly due to sexism and the absence of mention of their womenfolk.

I have plenty of humble ancestors too (and one or two notorious ones), as well as Kings of England, Ireland and Scotland. Doesn't almost everyone if you get back far enough? I bet it wouldn't take too long to find some agricultural labourers in the Queen's pedigree, or some royalty in yours.
All the best,
Brian

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 September 09 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,

A little bit to hopefully start sorting out parentage;
Marriage;

SISTER;
Marriage,
Alice FLETCHER
Samuel BERRINGTON
07 May 1779, Runcorn, Cheshire

NEPHEWS/NEICE

Fletcher FLETCHER
Christening, 13 July 1806, Halton, Cheshire
Parents, THOMAS and ELIZABETH
+
Thomas FLETCHER
Christening, 10 May 1800, Halton, Cheshire
Parents THOMAS and ELIZABETH
+
Martha FLETCHER
Christening, 09 September 1798, Halton, Cheshire
Parents THOMAS and ELIZABETH

I cant find marriage for Thomas / Elizabeth though
All on IGI at Familysearch

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Briannicus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 September 09 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Trish,
Thank you very much indeed for that.

I've seen SOME of that before but, as yet, have no record of there being a Thomas, brother to James, Robert Jnr, John and Mary, all children of Robert Fletcher Snr. and his wife, Eleanor (nee Grindley).

James and Robert were baptised in St. James' , Piccadilly, Westminster, and Mary at Holy Trinity, Chester but we have so far found nothing to connect a Thomas to Robert and Eleanor.

On the other hand, we know that John's will mentions an un-nanamed brother who was already dead. James and Robert died after John, so it is looking increasingly possible that this Thomas is the missing brother (especially as the list of children's names fits perfectly with the will). 

Am I being too cautious? Possibly, but this family used the same names over and over again so one can easily get it wrong.

Kind regards and thanks again,

Brian

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 September 09 15:15 BST (UK) »
No Brian you are not being too cautious. But the extra info you have now supplied could help immensely.

Have you found Alices christening?

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Briannicus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 September 09 15:28 BST (UK) »

Hi Trish,
I've just made a bit of a break through. Am quite excited - yes I know it's sad, but when these knots get unpicked it's hard not to be.

I have the records from Holy Trinity, Chester and was working from an Excel file that I've just discovered (thanks to a combination of this discussion, IGI and the original records) had Robert written where it should have been Thomas. So now that's put right, we know that Thomas was baptised at Holy Trinity, Chester on 25 Jan 1767, son of Robert Fletcher.

Unfortunately, no sign of Alice anywhere in the Holy Trinity record, unless we've missed her. Shall recheck
Brian

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 September 09 16:02 BST (UK) »
Fantastic ;D
I understand completely how you feel I get the same way ;)
Sometimes I even shed a tear.

Trish